Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel > Open Reel Tape Media

Open Reel Tape Media All aspects of tape itself; quality, characteristics, experiences, use and storage.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Serious Tapehead

TDK Warning

Subsequent to my last post re TDK SA shedding, i received 6 GX 35-90B all shedding white powder and 4 TDK LX35-90B shedding the same.
They came from different sources.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossfred View Post
Subsequent to my last post re TDK SA shedding, i received 6 GX 35-90B all shedding white powder and 4 TDK LX35-90B shedding the same.
They came from different sources.
In 1975 I purchased a reel of top line TDK tape. It didn't play well on my Sony RTR with lots of dropouts. However it also left a whitish deposit on the transport. In any event my Sony never fully recovered from that TDK reel and ultimately it caused me to loose patience and toss the entire deck out the window (really).
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

I've got a GX50-120BM on my RS-1506US right now with no sticky shed issues ....

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 PM
FeCr Type III

I've only got 1 TDK reel tape- the LX I think. I'll have to check it out and make sure its usable.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:02 PM
5/12/2008 - 12/27/2014

I'm not aware of any TDK tapes being afflicted with SSS.

White powder is usually indicative of lubrcant breakdown, or more likely-mold/fungus and/or oxidation from the reel.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Ghost In The Machine

Or cocaine.

(It was the 70s and 80s...)
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

That's pretty rotten to hear that some TDK is now dieing a slow death too. After reading your post, I've just checked three 10.5" reels of LX that I bought in the 80's new (therefore I know the history) and they all have a white powdery substance on the edge of the tape. Not tried playing one as the cleanup is a nightmare

Edit: Maybe our wonderful british climate may have something to do with this?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 AM
A reel passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
I've got a GX50-120BM on my RS-1506US right now with no sticky shed issues ....
It doesn't appear to be any kind of sticky shed, rather than a dry white powdery residue that builds up on the heads and entire tape path.

I reported this in my recent thread "whats this crud". I was using TDK GX tape and it caked up my deck. I'm thinking of launching the tape and just saving the reels.

I also asked the question as to whether or not this residue could cause any harm as in the case of the previously mentioned Sony?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

I have had other tapes showing signs of white on the packed reel that didn't deposit, i guess that was mold. These TDK tapes were all clean with little or no signs of previous use, some had a few tracks recorded. There were two brand new unopened GX35 that i opened subsequently and they also deposited the white powder, its not difficult to remove from the heads. I am going to try a few passes to see if it stops.
On the used tapes when trying to record on them before the heads were dirty they suffered from poor frequency response, and are really unusable.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf_marshall View Post
That's pretty rotten to hear that some TDK is now dieing a slow death too. After reading your post, I've just checked three 10.5" reels of LX that I bought in the 80's new (therefore I know the history) and they all have a white powdery substance on the edge of the tape. Not tried playing one as the cleanup is a nightmare

Edit: Maybe our wonderful british climate may have something to do with this?
Improper storage is causing it. By the way I was told by a lot of Vietnam vets that they got into RTR because records didn't last long in the climate of South Vietnam. At least that's how I understood it.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Cassetticus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crome View Post
It doesn't appear to be any kind of sticky shed, rather than a dry white powdery residue that builds up on the heads and entire tape path.

I reported this in my recent thread "whats this crud". I was using TDK GX tape and it caked up my deck. I'm thinking of launching the tape and just saving the reels.

I also asked the question as to whether or not this residue could cause any harm as in the case of the previously mentioned Sony?
Hmmm, okay, no white residue on mine then. As to the rest of the question, chances are if the white stuff gets on your heads and tape path, then a good cleaning with 99.9% isopropyl will kill it or clean it away. Of course, anytime I'm suspect of a tape with a good reel then the path is clear: tape can be replaced, the reels are worth keeping. You may want to clean it well after you remove the tape path. A home dishwasher would probably be marvy unless there are some delicate decals emprinted. As to harming your Sony.... probably not unless you let the residue sit there for a long long time.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 AM
A reel passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped Bezel View Post
Improper storage is causing it.
What is the correct or at least best method for storing tape in the home environment for those of us that do not have a climate controlled room?

Once a tape exhibits this syndrome if it is a binder break down are they goosed or can they be salvaged?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crome View Post
What is the correct or at least best method for storing tape in the home environment for those of us that do not have a climate controlled room?
I would really like to know the answer to this also, especially as my entire collection of 456 went down the pan many years ago, along with some really nice material. Not sure if my wife will allow me to extend the house to incorporate a 'tape chamber'
Old 08-25-2012, 07:45 AM
RTR FREAK & TH SUPPORTER

Dark. Small space but enough space to allow air circulation. Vertically stored. I.e. - the proverbial "closet". Avoid temperature extremes and high humidity.

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 AM
oldsckool

Has anyone tried the nu finish trick on these yet? It brought back a couple of my pre-records that were quite moldy and sounded horrible. It might just do the trick. What you got to loose?

Thomas

Freddy1 9/9/1950 - 6/7/2015
Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

In many years of calibration and TDK tape use they have always held up.In fact the SA tape seems to be better reaction wise to the XLII on open reel machines as the XLII have a lot of drop outs with no physical sign of wear on them. Of course this is the long out of production EE tape.
I would try Nu Finish on them if you can get some. If it is Mold, the Nu Finish will clean it off to the most part. If the lubrication is failing or fatty substance is surfacing - this subject I leave to Wilhelm, the Nu Finish should resolve the issue- the only tape I threw away recently was a 1/2" reel of Ampex 456 that had edge damage as well as stickiness. I could fix the stickiness but there is nothing to be done about the edge damage.
I don't think TDK sold the same amount of tape in the reel to reel line as did Maxell but I would not say it was a poorly made tape or that it has a long history of defects.
Just my point of view.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Dream tape never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped Bezel View Post
Or cocaine.
In a convenient tapered form, ready to sniff?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Am I doing this right?

TDK tape is worth saving. Audua is OK, but the LX/GX are phenomenal.

All she knew about music was that it came out of funny looking machines, and you didn't want to marry the people who made it.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

From what I've read this is a lubricant issue that only affected later production runs. I have some LX I just got that is fine, I have some GX that has the powdery residue. My dad has some GX he bought in '81 that is okay & some he got in '86 that is bad. (In fact, he was the first person to tell me about it.) I also have some SA with no issues.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 AM
RTR FREAK & TH SUPPORTER

I scored a couple of reels of TDK recently (used) - Some Adua and some LX. Not bad tape - didn't see any evidence of SSS or deposits - just didn't sound great. I tried it on a both my RT-2022 and my CX-822 (both 2-track machines).

I was ready to pull the BIN trigger on some GX yesterday but chickened out and went for a 2-pack of Maxell 35-180B instead ($56 for both - which is my comfort zone). I've never (yet!) had an issue w/Maxell.

Opposite on cassette, I've always used (back then and now) SA and SA-X and preferred them over the Maxell equivalents.

CASS: 1/2 DZ

Last edited by Bandwidth; 08-27-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.