Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel > Open Reel Tape Media

Open Reel Tape Media All aspects of tape itself; quality, characteristics, experiences, use and storage.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Sweet Analog Bliss

I've got one reel of SA, one Audua and about 10 LX. None have any white powder. The Audua sounds terrible, however. Very muffled and dead sounding. I've stayed away from the GX after reading a thread around here that there are some problems.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:26 AM
Serious Tapehead

I recently got a couple hundred TDK GX 35/90. I tried a few out only to discover they have the white powder issue.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:08 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossfred View Post
Subsequent to my last post re TDK SA shedding, i received 6 GX 35-90B all shedding white powder and 4 TDK LX35-90B shedding the same.
They came from different sources.
I came to the conclusion that old stock is just not worth the money anymore. Most of the NOS tapes I got from Sony to TDK to BASF, they all leave residue and shed and have dropouts. Yah I know you can pick them up for 10 to 15 bucks a pop, but I would rather spend the cash on new tapes, LPR35 or SM911s, they just seem way more stable and sounds fantastic. Unlike NOS for Cassettes, these open reel tapes always give me trouble.

Felix M.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorariu View Post
I came to the conclusion that old stock is just not worth the money anymore. Most of the NOS tapes I got from Sony to TDK to BASF, they all leave residue and shed and have dropouts. Yah I know you can pick them up for 10 to 15 bucks a pop, but I would rather spend the cash on new tapes, LPR35 or SM911s, they just seem way more stable and sounds fantastic. Unlike NOS for Cassettes, these open reel tapes always give me trouble.

Felix M.
I posted in this thread a few years ago but it's worth another. I have no love for TDK tape, especially it's RTR tape. Using it spoiled the enjoyment of my first good RTR back in the mid 70's. But strangely enough if any tape would go bad I would assume it to be TDK. TDK whether anyone want's to admit it was always a somewhat cheap product in spite of the good performance it sometimes offered. TDK made their 1200' tape simply by running the 1mil onto a bigger hub reel. Pretty classy hey? It was never in the league of Sony, Maxel, Ampex and 3M and Sony, Maxell, Ampex and 3M are not in the same league as ATR, RTM and Capture.

I've often preached to the choir about avoiding old RTR tape and buying old used mystery tape is something that is beyond my sense of logic. I say that because buying legacy tape does nothing to keep the few RTR tape dopers in business and it does nothing for the machines. Yes it does nothing for the machines , these machines that folks here fawn and lavish over yet a great many in reality are bottom feeders when it comes to the tape they use. So now days when I hear of problems with old mystery tape and the like I say the user had it coming to them. I'd rather have a library of 50 modern quality reels than one of 500 junker mystery sand paper reels.

Last edited by Lance Lawson; 09-06-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Studio Engineer and Owner

Cross Fingers TDK TAPE

Been listening to several masters recorded in ca 1978 on TDK Audua L3600M tapes and all have no problems whatsoever, no powder or residue. I suspect that yours was from another source than the tape itself(mold, corrosion, etc). Even the reels still look pristine for these. Not bad for 40 year old tape.

Reel Decks:Teac X 1000R BL, Teac X 1000r, Teac A-6300, Akai GX-4000D,Tascam 32, Tascam TSR-8, ATR 102 Fat Half/Fat One Inch
Digital Recorders: Denon DTR 2000, Tascam DA 30 MkII, DA 40, DA 20mkII,Tascam MX-2424 (X2) hard disk recorders
Cassette Decks: Nakamichi Dragon, Onkyo TA 2015, Sharp RT-10 (x 2)
Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Boy's bright, but he don't allways listen!

The only TDK mishap I had was a GX. All the LX I have seem fine, well so far. No problems with Audua, damn fine sounding tape. Also my SD tapes seem great.

But that GX is a white powder mess! It was lube, I lost the spec sheet that came with that tape a long time ago. It described the lube as "a white cream deposited on the heads, this is normal and will not damage the tape recorder." Well once that lube dried up it ain't worth a damn!

As justin31972 described I have a 10 1/2" reel of GX that seems just fine. Looks to be an older production run. The GX that had the problem is a 7" later 80's version.

Need a Teac recapped? Heads installed? I do that! Contact me thru a PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:18 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

There can be some problem with a few TDK tapes but I have a lot of them and I don't think I ever discovered a bad one. Some of my music test tapes are LX. Audua is a superior tape and way better than the 632 that some people buy.
I have always loved Audua in the orange yellow box.

To throw a machine away just because a defective tape was on it is well, I can not say it here without ridicule. There are some A brand decks that deserve throwing away. The GX3550 that I could not give away was recycled. A concord too was junked.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Serious Tapehead

I have some TDK LX that I bought as a kid in high school in 82 and I just checked them and they are fine. They have always been kept in the plastic that they came in as well. Not sure that makes any difference. I also bought some used SA's and they look just fine. I played them recently and aside from some the music I didn't like, they sounded great.
They are on 7 inch plastic reels.

From the sounds of things, it sounds like there could be a bad batch or series of tape that has this issue.

I just recently bought some brand new tape to see how it sounds on my RT 707. I just have to find some music worthy of being recorded on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reel to reel tape 1.jpg (40.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Reel to Reel Tape 2.jpg (61.4 KB, 10 views)
Pioneer RT-707 RtoR, Pioneer HR-100, Sony TC-228, RCA Vibra Mark 8 tape player, Slyvania ET-3752 (Both Sony TC-228 Clones), SuperScope RT-840 Receiver 8 track (back from the dead), ERC 8250 8-Track, Pioneer SX 636, Sansui 9090DB Receiver, Marantz 2230 Receiver, Marantz PMD520 Cassette, Akai CR-81D, 4-KLH Model 17 speaks, Zenith Allegro 2000 Speaks (bought them new when I was 14.)
Old 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Deus vult

Hi! Just came across this forum and this thread, and yes, TDK tape isn't so great! My Akai deck was filthy after playing an LX tape I thought was good! All kinds of white crap residue! I really would say to stay the hell away from TDK!!!
Wonder why they screwed the pooch so hard with reel tape, never heard of them producing bad cassettetapes!

-Pat
Old 10-12-2017, 11:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

I have 180 TDK GX 35/90B. I tried one and it left a white powder residue. On the back of each tape is a number at the bottom. Might be a batch or serial number. Anyone know if certain ones from different years are better?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMornam View Post
Hi! Just came across this forum and this thread, and yes, TDK tape isn't so great! My Akai deck was filthy after playing an LX tape I thought was good! All kinds of white crap residue! I really would say to stay the hell away from TDK!!!
Wonder why they screwed the pooch so hard with reel tape, never heard of them producing bad cassettetapes!

-Pat
Was it white goo or white powder? My horrid experiences with TDK RTR tape date back to when it was new and it crapped up my SONY RTR pretty bad. It left deposits of a grayish white goo that was not unlike the mess SSS can leave.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Deus vult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
Was it white goo or white powder? My horrid experiences with TDK RTR tape date back to when it was new and it crapped up my SONY RTR pretty bad. It left deposits of a grayish white goo that was not unlike the mess SSS can leave.
Yes! Icky gooish stuff! Absolutely horrid! Should have taken a photograph, but I instinctively immediately took the tape off and cleaned everything. TDK reels, NEVER AGAIN!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:11 AM
Serious Tapehead

I bought a couple of 'mystery' pancakes a couple years back. I put them into reels and recorded on one for a few minutes to see what the results would be. Terrible!! Heads got so nasty I had to clean them after about 5 minutes of recording. Yes, a lot of white powder. Come to find out, the Seller finally came clean with me - they were some sort of TDK pancakes - not even certain what kind to this day.
My System - Harman Kardon A-700 ~ Garrard SL-65 4-Speed Changer ~ Teac A-6300 ~ Teac X1000R ~ TEAC V-95RX cassette deck ~ Harman Kardon HK20 Speakers. I Own: Teac A-4300 ~ Teac A-4070 (x 2) ~ Akai GX-365D ~ Pioneer 1020L ~

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.