Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 10-10-2017, 05:58 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Thornton View Post
That's what I hate about the 90s. It was hard to source new vinyl releases at that time. In 1990, LPs were being yanked from the shelves. So I never even knew this Oldfield release could be found on LP. Most stores wouldn't order anything on LP either, because of one way sales.
:(
I was quite fortunate in having a proper record shop where I was living for most of the 90s. I even walked in and bought Mike Oldfield's "Songs Of Distant Earth" off the shelf for 14.99

I gather that was limited to just a few thousand copies and now exchanges hands for several hundred s or $s. I just picked if off the shelf the same way I had a couple of years earlier with Tubular Bells II and Amarok a couple of years before that.

By 1995 I was splitting my record buying between my local shop and HMV on Oxford St in London....then I discovered internet shopping in 1997...

Last edited by absinthe_boy; 10-10-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

Same here, decent local shops though the chains were disappearing in the 90's plenty of real shops left selling LP's, tapes, incense and bongs. No shortage of used vinyl those days starting at 99 cents each. I picked up a huge number of first presses that way, collectible stuff people were giving records away. In some places they still are if you know where to look. I can still pull nice LPs for 3-4$ each, really nice stuff and first presses of common stuff is 5-10$ each. New Vinyl starts at 16$ each and up to the box sets that cost a weeks take home pay. If I was making the money I used to, I'd probably need counseling because of all the vinyl I would be buying today.

There are so many great releases today, stuff on 2 45's instead of one 33 1/3 LP, the Doors box set looks amazing, as does the Bowie box, Floyd, Zeppelin, all of them from Analog Productions... Chaz Kasem has the choicest vinyl of all out there today. Not sure about Jack White, and MOFI stuff I'm not at all impressed with, not since Music Direct took them over from bankruptcy, and their stuff is worse still since Stan Ricker passed away.

Last edited by macman007; 10-10-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Serious Tapehead

I amassed a lot of my Genesis and Yes collection from 1989-91 when people were "upgrading" to CD. Someone offloaded first presses of the first three Yes records and I snapped the three up for 30 at my local used record emporium. I ended up with two first presses of Genesis' "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" and "Selling England By The Pound" each picked up for under a tenner.

I've seen the same with film cameras, around 2005 I bought a load of used equipment because the pros and serious amateurs were just offloading everything that wasn't digital....now the exact same gear is fetching 10x what I paid for it because people are buying it back, or the younger guys (photographers often dismiss hipsters too....) are buying it for the first time.

Pink Floyd's Division Bell was another I picked up off the peg from my local record shop. That was originally released as a single LP minus the phone call with Charlie at the end (why?). Must clock in at over an hour too.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:35 AM
Dream tape never ends

Quote:
That's what I hate about the 90s. It was hard to source new vinyl releases at that time. In 1990, LPs were being yanked from the shelves. So I never even knew this Oldfield release could be found on LP. Most stores wouldn't order anything on LP either, because of one way sales.
:(
You'd be happy to live in Greece during the 90s then: every major single, album or compilation still got a regular Vinyl issue, and CD, LP and MC coexisted at least until 1995, with LP getting the boot after that and MC surviving until 2003-2004 for some genres of music, depending on their intended clientele, I guess. Folk-pop music ("Laika") compilation were still getting released on double MCs until 2003-2004, presumably because farmers (who were the target demographic....) still used old battered cassette players in their old, battered pickup trucks.

However, the tides were turning clearly in favour of the CD, esp. for what regarded compilations: even if the same compilation was available in all 3 formats, usually the CD version had extra tracks (the length issue we're discussing...) so for 2xLP vs 2xCD releases, there was no competition, really.

Some rares 3x LP releases got dumped on 2x CD instead (they were actually advertised as "3x LPs on 2x CDs", and the vast difference in practicality became obvious. The MC releases sometimes followed the LP format, sometimes they matched the CD one.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Seriously Illogical

I may have a winner here for the longest duration LP record.
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/pag.../0002894777560
Total length 1:10:58

The "cheat" here is that because the content is solo violin, with mid/high frequency content only, modulation width for the groove doesn't exceed a very small width, so the grooves can be packed densely without any ill effects on the music.

I actually own a copy of the specific album I linked since when it was originally released, which is not 2009 as referenced in the link but more like mid 90s. The sound is very good - perhaps not that loud - but surface noise is not higher than the average classical music pressing of the era.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Poogle SHIPPED!

That's not even close to the OP's example.

Regards, Kelv

Can you see where this is going?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Just Enjoying the Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kelv View Post
That's not even close to the OP's example.

Regards, Kelv
Perhaps it's one side at 1:10 (I wouldn't think so, but you never know)

Q: How do Canadians spell "Canada"?
A: C-eh-N-eh-D-eh
Old 10-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

A couple months ago I picked up some Dick Clark radio show LPs, each LP holds 30mins/side and even then the bass is noticeably lacking but considering it was FM probably wasn't a big deal. I should try dubbing them to some type Is for fun as it's kind of neat to listen to the radio show w/commercials in tact.

I can't imagine LPs meant for home listening at this length or even longer.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Just Enjoying the Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max77 View Post
A couple months ago I picked up some Dick Clark radio show LPs, each LP holds 30mins/side and even then the bass is noticeably lacking but considering it was FM probably wasn't a big deal. I should try dubbing them to some type Is for fun as it's kind of neat to listen to the radio show w/commercials in tact.

I can't imagine LPs meant for home listening at this length or even longer.
Were they "Rock Roll and Remember" or "The National Music Survey"? These were very compressed. I've heard AT40, ACC and others. They are all pre-compressed, but perfectly fine for on-air.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:44 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I have a weird set of Beethoven Symphonies with Wilhelm Furtwangler. The complete symphonies fit on 4 LPs, with running times mostly well over 40 minutes a side.
The catch is these are recordings from the late 20s to early 40s, so they're (obviously) mono and the dyanamics are not that great anyway. All in all a very shoddy set.
Some late Deutsche Grammophon LPs from the 1980s run to nearly 30 minutes a side and on these I don't notice any detrimental effects on dynamics.

Some bands have consistently turned out long albums, like Genesis - most of their 70s albums run at 50+ minutes.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Serious Tapehead

The Meatloaf album "Bat out of Hell II: Back Into Hell" on vinyl suffers similarly. 75:38 of music on a single record. And a really thin one at that. I bought it brand new, and had to turn the volume way up to listen to it - to the point that the surface noise is extremely loud. Not a good way of doing things.

Charles.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Were they "Rock Roll and Remember" or "The National Music Survey"? These were very compressed. I've heard AT40, ACC and others. They are all pre-compressed, but perfectly fine for on-air.
Yeah they're the RNR Remember LPs, I got 2 different ones. It's pretty fun hearing those old commercials, one show is from December so there are a bunch of USPS commercials about shipping gifts. As a kid I always thought these kinds of shows were live and there was just some big radio network broadcasting them.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Just Enjoying the Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max77 View Post
Yeah they're the RNR Remember LPs, I got 2 different ones. It's pretty fun hearing those old commercials, one show is from December so there are a bunch of USPS commercials about shipping gifts. As a kid I always thought these kinds of shows were live and there was just some big radio network broadcasting them.
I actually thought as a kid that they would have been distributed on open-reel. I discovered the truth at 14 years of age, when I visited CHAM in Hamilton, Ontario. At the time they were a country station, and they gave me the previous weeks' discs for American Country Countdown with Bob Kingsley.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.