Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:12 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

information request Technics RS-BX 747

Hi

I bought, on the suggestion of other enthusiasts friends, a Technics RS-BX 747.

I did a search on the forum discussions, but I did not find anything.
What should I expect from this deck?
What are the advantages and disadvantages, of this deck?
How does it sound, like you?
Old 07-12-2017, 12:34 AM
Serious Tapehead

I have had one for about three years now, it came from a charity shop in the UK and from memory I think I paid about £10 and this included a number of blanks.

A couple of faullts were noticeable when I got it home and set up. One was that the cassette well did not fit quite flush/square into the fascia so I made some adjustments to the way it anchors to the chassis and that bit was now fine.

The other problem was a slight Record imbalance. I realised that this would probably be an electronic problem, which I am not very good at, so I simply adjusted the manual balance control a tiny amount from the 12 o'clock position and it was fine and continues to be so.

Well, the machine is good to my ears, it is direct drive and everything works fine. It does have a rather smooth sounding nature, as I find most Technics decks do, and I rather like it. The best results tape wise that I have had is with Maxell XL11 S. Thats VX, TDK AR and AD.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

Not a bad deck by high-end standards, but certainly one designed and made with significant cost cutting in mind. This deck was offered when the cassette format was well into its decline. The heads are relatively cheap, as is the fluorescent display and overall build quality, though there were many cheaper decks than this.
Earlier Technics 3-head machines on a similar level in their hierarchy in the Technics cassette deck family such as the B765 and B755 were better decks. Still, if you paid the right price and are happy with it, that is really what matters the most.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:58 AM
Serious Tapehead

Smile Technics RS-BX747

Although it does not have dual capstans like the earlier TOTL decks, it has one thing nearly almost similar to the best Nakamichi and that is its full electrical calibrations, ATC which adjust the bias, level and eq as well as a manual bias potentiometer, much like the 1000ZXL. AND THAT makes it a TOTL deck for that time.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:07 AM
カセットデッキの修理

A poor tentative of Technics, to sell on a dead market
of cassette deck in the late 90's a poor plastic deck.

Last edited by Libra; 07-13-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:55 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

thank you. Even though I was hoping to get an opinion on sound and recording. How is built I know.
As well as knowing it's a deck in the mid 90s.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.