Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 PM
oldsckool

New cabinet for my Teac's

A friend of mine has just started up a new cabinet business and was looking for work. I had come up with this crazy idea of having my 2 best rtr's mounted in their own stand alone cabinet. Well I gave him a ruff sketch and copes of the service manuals so he is now building me my dream cabinet.
As this goes I will post pics and of coarse show the final finished project when it arrives.
Here is the plan:
My A-6100 will be mounted in the very top of the "rack" and below it will be the A- 4010s. I will be made of Alder stained in walnut with a storage area below for tapes and maintenance stuff. It will be about 60" high and a Foot deep with vents in the top and bottom and some extra quiet cooling fans as well inside the the enclosure. It will have a vented back as well and I plan to wire it for power as well (one cord to the wall fused of coarse) I will also add some small face lights on it so I can see what I'm doing without having to light up the whole room.
The best thing about it? He is only charging me for the wood.

Once it is done if any one likes it and decides they want one done for them he will make you a great deal on it as a favor to me. It should be here finished in 2 weeks.

My ruff sketch is posted but we have made a few changes.

Thomas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTR rack 001.jpg (76.6 KB, 80 views)

Freddy1 9/9/1950 - 6/7/2015
Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Supporter of Reel Analog-resistance is futile!

The drawing looks interesting. How tall are the legs?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 PM
RTR FREAK & TH SUPPORTER

That looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product! Lucky you to find somebody willing to donate his labor!

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
oldsckool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listens2tubes View Post
The drawing looks interesting. How tall are the legs?
Like I said RUFF sketch. The legs are now gone we decided to turn that area into storage. The actual size of the legs were going to be added in to bring the cabinet up to 60" high, so they were the only real variable that did not have a set height. Since I'm chair bound right now we settled on the 60" so I could reach the top of the unit. So they can be made any length you would want or even add in a third unit if wanted.
I also changed the depth to 12" from 10" to make it more stable. I plan to attach it to a wall to prevent tipping.

Thomas

Old 06-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Wish I was sailing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dey93254 View Post
I also changed the depth to 12" from 10" to make it more stable. I plan to attach it to a wall to prevent tipping.

Thomas
This was my first concern, too. Attaching it to the wall makes great sense.
I will be interested in seeing the finished product! As for making more for us THers, I'd think shipping costs might be a bit of an issue. Will he be constructing it with fasteners so it could be broken down and shipped in pieces?

At some point in the future I'll be looking at a custom audio cabinet and/or tape storage area. Maybe your guy could do other custom work...?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 PM
oldsckool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSteve View Post
I will be interested in seeing the finished product! As for making more for us THers, I'd think shipping costs might be a bit of an issue. Will he be constructing it with fasteners so it could be broken down and shipped in pieces?

At some point in the future I'll be looking at a custom audio cabinet and/or tape storage area. Maybe your guy could do other custom work...?
Scott is a fantastic craftsman. He builds wine bars and all sorts of custom stuff. I could ask him about the "ready to assemble" aspect as well. A custom audio / tape storage unit I'm sure would be a walk in the park for him. Also he uses real, solid wood. Not chip board or ply wood

Thomas

Old 06-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
A friend of mine has just started up a new cabinet business and was looking for work. I had come up with this crazy idea of having my 2 best rtr's mounted in their own stand alone cabinet. Well I gave him a ruff sketch and copes of the service manuals so he is now building me my dream cabinet.
As this goes I will post pics and of coarse show the final finished project when it arrives.
Here is the plan:
My A-6100 will be mounted in the very top of the "rack" and below it will be the A- 4010s. I will be made of Alder stained in walnut with a storage area below for tapes and maintenance stuff. It will be about 60" high and a Foot deep with vents in the top and bottom and some extra quiet cooling fans as well inside the the enclosure. It will have a vented back as well and I plan to wire it for power as well (one cord to the wall fused of coarse) I will also add some small face lights on it so I can see what I'm doing without having to light up the whole room.
The best thing about it? He is only charging me for the wood.

Once it is done if any one likes it and decides they want one done for them he will make you a great deal on it as a favor to me. It should be here finished in 2 weeks.

My ruff sketch is posted but we have made a few changes.

Thomas
Hey Thomas, Did you make sure you have room for the reels between the two decks?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 PM
oldsckool

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Nation View Post
Hey Thomas, Did you make sure you have room for the reels between the two decks?
Yes the A-6100 is my 10" deck the A-4010s is the 7 " and the reels on the 4010 do not extend beyond the units face so plenty of clearance. That was the first thing I looked at and why the A-6100 is on top

Thomas

Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

OK! Let me know when it's done.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Serious Tapehead

Keeping the 7" on the bottom is a wize choice. With the 10" on the bottom the reels will interfere with the other deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuzz and the Sonys 007.jpg (60.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Serious Tapehead

Hello,

The cabinet looks good to me. I have built a few cabinets and have a few suggestions.

If there is little or no clearance around your machines, provide ventilation from the bottom of the cabinet up through the top. Make sure there is an air passage through the intermediate shelves. Natural convection may provide the required airflow, but the fans will make sure.

When you are doing your power wiring, I would use a Surge Protector "Just in case''.

I really don't understand how reducing the depth of the cabinet from 12" to 10" would increase stability. However, fastening the cabinet to the wall should eliminate any tipping problem.

Plan where you will exit the power and signal leads. Possibly opposite sides. You probably want to run all your signal wiring to a wall plate with RCA connectors so the tape decks won't have to be removed for wiring changes.

I am looking forward to the photos.

Phil
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 PM
oldsckool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWhite214 View Post
Hello,

The cabinet looks good to me. I have built a few cabinets and have a few suggestions.

If there is little or no clearance around your machines, provide ventilation from the bottom of the cabinet up through the top. Make sure there is an air passage through the intermediate shelves.

When you are doing your power wiring, I would use a Surge Protector "Just in case''.

I really don't understand how reducing the depth of the cabinet from 12" to 10" would increase stability. However, fastening the cabinet to the wall should eliminate any tipping problem.

Plan where you will exit the power and signal leads. Possibly opposite sides. You probably want to run all your signal wiring to a wall plate with RCA connectors so the tape decks won't have to be removed for wiring changes.

I am looking forward to the photos.

Phil
1. ok the decks do not go all the way to the back so the supporting shelves will only go half way, and have vents in them as well, allowing plenty of ventilation plus the cooling fans will help as well.
2. I increased the depth to 12" from 10" to give it a bigger footprint and allow room for air movement. The decks will also be removed from their current cases and this cabinet will become their new case.
3. Surge protect
4. My plan is to separate the cords and cables with power on one side audio on the other. Wall plate is an awesome idea thank you.

I am finding the input being given to me helpful in confirming my fact checking as well to make sure I missed nothing in this design.
BTW if anyone wishes to use my sketch to work their own project you have my permission to do so. Sharing is what this site is about.

Thomas

Old 07-29-2012, 05:02 PM
oldsckool

Picture of unit before base and stain

It will be ready next week on Thursday for me to pick up. Can't wait

Thomas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120729_121230.jpg (124.6 KB, 64 views)

Old 07-29-2012, 05:25 PM
DCC Lives On

MAN that looks like a nice rack you did up for yourself Thomas
Someday I'll get rid of this ugly metal rack that has all my gear and place everything in a custom built wooden cabinet as well.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Serious Tapehead

The cabinet looks great! Show some detail photos when you can.

Phil
Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
It will be ready next week on Thursday for me to pick up. Can't wait

Thomas
That's the way to go! NICE!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM
audiophool deluxe

They look great! Very nice,,,

Dave
Old 07-29-2012, 07:10 PM
RTR FREAK & TH SUPPORTER

That looks top notch! I'll bet you're excited!

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hello dey93254,

The idea of custom cabinets is not a new one but a more costly one unless you have connections which you say you do. There is no harm or I do not have anything against making such a thing. In fact I had an out of work master carpenter make bird house pieces and window boxes from computer diagrams while I was working to help him out.
However, to take a short cut, all you really need to do is either select a
real broadcast size rack or get one that some station is getting rid of or like the case of what I did in my new studio- I just bought a bunch of Mid Atlantic tall rack cases (they are black) with the rack rail in them and you can mount reels decks or anything else that has rack mount capabilities in them. The also sell shelving units and blank panels to fill out the empty space. All this stuff is available drop shipped from Broadcasters General Store down in Florida where I have bought many types of studio and radio equipment from.
The Middle Atlantic cabinets come in black or Oak finish and the cost is very reasonable. You can stack two of them if you want or more.
For those that do not have the carpenter friend at ready and want a rack cabinet system, this could be what you are looking for.
http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclos...k/laminate.htm

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!

Last edited by Skywavebe; 07-29-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Wish I was sailing....

drey
Very nice looking! Alder can really look great. Last year I put in a new front door of clear gain alder and finished it with seven coats of teak oil. Really brings out the beauty of the wood. The laminate racks that Sam suggests look quite nice, too. I may go in that direction when I'm ready for new equipment racks. Thanks for the link Sam.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.