Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Serious Tapehead

What Will They Do With Undesirable Records?

It's easy to covet the giant hit records of the past and easy enough to find them. However there is another segment of records equally as numerous and by most accounts not at all desirable. We've all seen them and have flipped through them in search of gold. You know the ones. Gerry Vale, Eddie Arnold, Julie London, Show tunes, Supper club acts, Jim Neighbors, Percy Faith, Frankie Laine, Johnny Ray, etc etc etc. Yes a lot of them were huge to their generation but they didn't connect to the kids when rock & roll came along and most of those kids never acquired a taste for them

It's a sure bet that a rock album of any stature at all will be scoffed up leaving these perennials to languish and languish they do. I see these same names as well as others wherever used records are sold and not catalogued. Folks pass them by and I'm not surprised they do.

So there is tons of this old plastic laying around and where can it end up? Landfill is a poor idea for plastic records as it will never decay into harmless compounds. But plastic gets recycled does it not? So maybe ol' Jim Neighbors gets chomped up and returns as a Lazy Susan or Pyle cassette deck even. However that seems an unfitting end for great artistic achievement.

We all know that record pressing plants recycle vinyl wherever possible. We also know vinyl is ripe with gimmicks such as photo disks, colored disks, big and small disks and so on. I wonder if and when an enterprising record presser will realize the hundreds of millions of these bland albums still littering the market as not even paper weights. I think it's high time this old vinyl found it's way into the vinyl grinders of pressing plants to become reborn. Imagine the hype of selling new records by Young States , The Maine or All Time Low specifically pressed from vintage vinyl. It could have the same cashae as building a new house from old barn timber. Remember people will buy anything if marketed right. So maybe there will come a day when these old albums won't be getting in the way of this vinyl resurgence/feeding frenzy. We can only hope....................
Old 03-18-2017, 09:08 AM
audiophool deluxe

My friend Sammy owns a record store here in Damnville and its one of the biggest record stores on the east coast now. He had bought the inventory of other record stores from neighboring states that were going out of business. He also buys estate sale records etc.
He ends up with thousands of records that are unsalable due to poor condition or unpopular titles etc.
He deals with a company that buys these records from him whenever he reaches a ton of them. They recycle the plastic and sell it to whoever needs it like toy manufactures etc.
They will only buy a ton or more at a time and he gets around 50 cents a pound IIRC.

Dave
Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 AM
Serious Tapehead

Julie London doesn't belong in that list.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sMonoFan View Post
Julie London doesn't belong in that list.
Don't you mean because she's on you list she shouldn't be on my list? I know of her because I've seen enough of her records in that grouping I mentioned. Like it or not it's pretty predictable the titles that get left on the shelves at this point.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:18 PM
self-proclaimed pro-tracker

I've come across a record or two that had little pieces of paper embedded in the grooves. I believe one was a mid 70s RCA. At the time, they were recycling vinyl records (I believe mostly rejects, recalled, and unsold stock) to press new records. There needs to be very close quality control to make sure label pieces and other foreign objects are kept out of the vinyl. More so if they are going to be processing used vinyl that could be made with different vinyl formulations and are covered in dirt and dust.

I know a lot of "undesirable" records are sold to companies and crafters who make clocks, bowls, coasters and other things out of them.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Dream tape never ends

In theory, the vinyl in them is very high grade and good recycling material, if parts like the paper label and glue are removed effectively.

Otherwise, they can always end up "recycled" as modern pop art or novelties, e.g.

Recycled vinyl record bowls

Vinyl record art:

Old 03-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Serious Tapehead

*Jerry Vale
*Jim Nabors
*Eddy Arnold
Old 03-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Because tape decks.

Don't forget Barbara Streisand. Her records are clogging up all the charity shops too.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Serious Tapehead

It's an amusing coincidence that I should find this thread because I was thinking about those old records earlier today when I was going through the bins at my local Goodwill. As I held a monaural high fidelity album of classical music I thought of how it must have started life packaged and sealed in a record store and some guy or woman back in 1956 chose that record over all of the others and made the purchase. And now here it sits, about 60 years later, still in good condition but needing a thorough cleaning, with no splits in the cover seams, the picture is a little faded but still clear, waiting to fill someone's home with music. I guess recycling is the most practical thing to do because in that regard at least it still has some value, more value than sitting in Goodwill waiting for some careless clod to scratch it or have it eventually end up in a landfill. I have often wished that I had a more expanded taste in music because I come across many undesirable albums in very good condition but I have never acquired a taste for polkas, marching bands, or Barbra Streisand. I have a small collection of "schlock" which is nightclub comics and musicians some of whom are very good and some are so bad that they're good.... sort of the way the film "Reefer Madness" has a cult following today. I'm starting to get into small independent label gospel music as I enjoy amateurish productions that have a certain "home town" sound that you won't find with a major label. But a few nightclub records or an album by "The Monday Night Praise and Worship Trio" isn't going to make a difference in the long run. I love the pictures of women in the mid 60s with beehive hairdos that could get caught in a ceiling fan if they're not careful and guys with carefully crafted plastered down hair and perfectly cut mustaches showing that even church singers can look "modern." But yeah, for the majority of those old lost vinyl orphans I guess recycling is the way to go.

Last edited by Flick; 03-18-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I've had several deliveries of new LPs that used "undesirable/unsaleable" LPs as packaging -- in order to keep the new LPs flat... For a laugh, I took one of the undesireable LPs and put it through my LP wet vacuum treatment. It was the soundtrack to some movie... Never had so much fun!
Old 03-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Serious Tapehead

Reelspin Julie London

I just discovered Julie London and she certainly does not belong on that list, I could listen to her all day-what a great voice.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Serious Tapehead

They also get turned into clocks (a very easy craft project).

As for Julie London you can also watch her on Emergency reruns as well as various tv shows & movies.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick View Post
I have often wished that I had a more expanded taste in music because I come across many undesirable albums in very good condition but I have never acquired a taste for polkas, marching bands, or Barbra Streisand.
Never apologize for your taste in music. I grew up in a very eclectic musical environment and when the airwaves were filled with schmaltz I was as disinterested in it then as I am now. There's a reason why real Jazz and real Blues was an almost underground commodity. It wasn't safe or at least it wasn't perceived as being safe by the censors both the official and unofficial kind. But given the chance it's real and palatable connection to life and souls of the players is what made it powerful and dangerous. There were a great many talented musicians in the 40's and 50's when recorded music was maturing but the overwhelming majority of them were safe. Les Paul for all of his brilliance was safe. And then the ultimate evil of rock and roll hit and they had a hell of a time keeping it at bay. It's why doo wop happened it's why Bobby Rydel and Jimmy Clanton and Neil Sedaka were stars. They were safe. Even the Beach Boys were safe. The facade didn't actually crumble until the British invasion happened and the Brits began feeding us back our unsafe roots of blues and rock and roll with such power that they couldn't hold it back any more. And there were a great many lounge singer types who held a grudge about it for then next twenty years.

There was of course a certain way of making the dangerous music safe and you can still hear it on piped in Muzak. I once heard Whole Lotta Shakin in an elevator and the simple dropping of the back beat took all of the drama and life out of it. And that's how so called polite society dealt with rock and roll once it too was mainstream. When I see old movies of supposedly rock and roll music in soundtracks defanged and declawed it's embarrassing to hear it. Sort of like turning T-Rex into that toothless purple dinosaur Barney. But those late 40's and through the 50's shmaltz was still king and perhaps all those records cluttering up thrift stores and the like are simply proving the point that you could fool all of the people some of the time. But then as one great rocker penned Won't Get Fooled Again. And it seems like folks weren't.

Last edited by Lance Lawson; 03-18-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
self-proclaimed pro-tracker

You could always hot glue one to a headband and sell it to some hipsters for $26...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1227117...=sr_gallery_39
Old 03-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Serious Tapehead

I didn't mean for my statement to sound like an apology for my taste in music. It's more of an appreciation for the way records were made back then and I sometimes wish they were within the scope of my musical taste, but they are not. There is a video on YouTube produced by RCA that shows the care they took in making a record. It was probably done in the mid to late 50s and takes us through the process from the placement of the microphones in the recording studio, through the different stages of manufacturing, the numerous quality control checks, to finally being spun on an RCA console in a living room. In the days when high fidelity was cutting edge most of the major labels started taking into account the use of multiple microphones and their placement to give the most realistic sound possible coupled with the technology of the time. I have several hi-fi demonstration records that come with full size booklets written by acknowledged authorities of the day and they go into great detail about the recordings and often include an explanation of the problems they faced in recording the different instruments and the factors that had to be considered. In a few years the advent of stereo would blow high fidelity out of the water although I get a kick out of those records that have the disclaimer saying that the listener will get even better reproduction of the record if played on stereo equipment therefore the record will never become obsolete.

There's something to be said for monaural recordings for various reasons such as different versions of songs (The Beatles for example) and some people prefer mono to please their personal preference but generally speaking, stereo grabbed the spotlight from high fidelity. When I see these old records laying in a thrift store bin, carelessly handled, it sort of makes me a little sad that a record which began life with the objective of bringing a realistic performance to the listener, should end up as just an obsolete form of music because their performances have been released again first on vinyl and then digitally, that there's little or no advantage for people who enjoy those categories of music to salvage these records. (Edison cylinders are obsolete but I'd never throw one out if I found one because they have a place in history) Maybe it's a case of so many hi-fi records were made that only a select few have significance. I realize this does not apply to every Jim Nabors, Andy Williams, and Firestone Christmas album that clutters the bins at thrift stores and used record shops because they were mass produced for quick sales with less attention paid to quality control so recycling or making hats or art work out of them doesn't bother me; it's mostly the hi-fi records, usually classical music or jazz, which at one time highlighted the standard of the industry, that I would hate to see end up as a clock or a candy dish, but until someone opens a hi-fi hall of fame I don't have an answer as to what to do with them.

Last edited by Flick; 03-18-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Don't Be Square - Sine Waves Dude!

And all this time I was thinking Skeet...

Retired USAF, Solder Melter. Not to old to Learn, Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2 (X2) and BII-2H, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD Player, Pro Ject Tube Box DS2 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Signature, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Headphone Amp
Old 03-19-2017, 04:29 AM
Reelin' in the years

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390FE View Post
They also get turned into clocks (a very easy craft project).
I'd only have one with a digital display....
Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 AM
Tapeheads Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartypoorty View Post
I'd only have one with a digital display....
I don't care who you are...that's funny!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkarmann View Post
I just discovered Julie London and she certainly does not belong on that list, I could listen to her all day-what a great voice.
I agree. It's not that her records are undesirable, original pressings are desirable in nice shape. But she was hugely popular so some titles are very common and often VG or worse condition.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Don't Be Square - Sine Waves Dude!

"I'd only have one with a digital display.... "

Kinda like my CD player with Tubes...
Retired USAF, Solder Melter. Not to old to Learn, Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2 (X2) and BII-2H, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD Player, Pro Ject Tube Box DS2 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Signature, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Headphone Amp

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.