Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > The Music Room

The Music Room Relax and set a spell in the Music Room. Talk about whatever strikes your fancy that relates to enjoying music, your audio system and components. Cigars and cognac optional.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:48 AM
Banned

Ssu on bbc rescheduled.

Thanks to those that emailed. Just to clarify that the analogue prog on the BBC
had to be rescheduled due to overrun, ie, the content wanted for inclusion was
greater than the available deadrole time, and so it still retains its prime-time
slot of 9.30pm, but is now moved to Saturday 1 April 2017 on BBC Radio Three.

For those that are not aware, this concerns an analogue / cassette-format
radio show that was in weekly production between 1974-2002, and is regarded
by the BBC as a milestone in Media History in that no other of the same is known
to exist, and certainly not one of such a proven duration : a number of shows exist that demonstrate its time passage, but are only a sample of the 1000s
that were created.

For further info please search for the former posts that detail the show fully.
Any questions, then just ask.

Regards.

Mark. London.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:47 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Certainly intriguing - an engine search for "Second Side Up" and "cassette" only gives lots of links to threads on this forum, not elsewhere... so it's definitely quite obscure.

Looking forward to this programme which airs on... April the 1st!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Serious Tapehead

Spin

Quote:
Certainly intriguing - an engine search for "Second Side Up" and "cassette" only gives lots of links to threads on this forum, not elsewhere...
April the 1st.............

Quote:
For those that are not aware, this concerns an analogue / cassette-format
radio show that was in weekly production between 1974-2002, and is regarded
by the BBC as a milestone in Media History
Then how did I miss it,I been listening to BBC radio since 1977 and have one off BBC programs from the 1960s on RTR tape that google even knows about...........74-2002 !!! and nothing!!!

Think about it guys a famous radio show that nobodys ever heard of.............

Last edited by Red_OX; 03-16-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:17 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Well I hope it's not an April Fool, it sounds quite interesting...?
Old 03-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Banned

SSU predated the internet, and had to fold due to to arrival of digital mediums.
It was redundant by 2002, apart from occasional shows, the last batch of which,
on analogue, occurred with my then fiance, in 2011. All those shows exist and I'm
considering uploading them to Youtube but not got a clue how to do it.
The BBC edits hone 1974-2002 : I produced 1000s of hours but gave them just 70
for soundbites and cherry-picking. I made all the station idents, stabs, trailers, etc.
SSU amassed a record library by 2002 of +30k library tracks, before the web, and
all were for the most part UK/USA hits... something to consider when you can only
listen to a dozen in an hour.

For background, see former posts. And by the way, I am not some ego freak, I just
love life, possibilities, and nice people. It is that simple. I am not ambitious, at all,
and don't seek fame - but aim to return to Bx-ing somehow. Thank you for your interest.

Mark/Skid. London.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Banned

Then how did I miss it,I been listening to BBC radio since 1977 and have one off BBC programs from the 1960s on RTR tape that google even knows about...........74-2002 !!! and nothing!!!

Think about it guys a famous radio show that nobodys ever heard of.....
Old 03-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Banned

Saturday 1 April 2017 : 9.30pm.

Last edited by nestbox; 03-20-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:55 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Wait, is that aimed at me?

I don't think that was very nice, and where do photographers come into it?!?
Old 03-19-2017, 04:58 PM
Banned

Be sensible chaps. The date is not relevant on that issue. I am Mark ok, so just listen chaps. I exist, not your ideas of April 1st. Logic!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Banned

Perhaps if you analyse what came before you might answer your question.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:05 PM
Rockin' The Suburbs

Nestbox, chill out. This is a discussion forum. That type of behavior will not be tolerated here.

Teac X-1000R, Nakamichi ZX-7, Technics SL-220 / Shure M105E
Onkyo Integra TX-890, Klipsch Epic CF-3 speakers
Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 AM
Banned

Agreed, and I stand corrected on that level, but people that troll, or dare call me a liar are going to get the response they seek. Nothing stated is fabricated, and SSU is as described and was never professed as being on the BBC or available to anyone other than a select audience. This is a primary reason why the BBC have done a piece on it - it was analogue and not on the airwaves - as was stated loads of times. And yes, it will be Bx'd on April 1st and so to all those that wish to debunk the truth then see how you feel when its on the air, or do yourself a massive favour and avoid tuning in as you'll no doubt have nothing positive to relate. Many thanks. Mark.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I certainly see no "trolling" or anyone accusing you of being a liar?

In your original post, you invite people to communicate with you, and then when you get a question you don't like, you instruct them (or imply to) not comment any further!

I can see Red Ox's confusion. You referred to it as a "radio show", but now say it was recorded on tape and sent to a select group of people - which is not radio broadcasting at all.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Stop! .. .. Carry On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_OX View Post
April the 1st.............
Indeed its confirmed on the Radio Times website: http://www.radiotimes.com/radio-prog...tured-in-radio

Regards, Kelv

Probabably my biggest work based achievement
Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Banned

Thank you Kelvin. M.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Turn it up!

So just to be clear...this is a radio show that was produced on cassette tapes, but was never broadcast over the airwaves and was not done in affiliation with or at the request of a radio station or radio chain?

In other words, it's a large lot of mix tapes, with the addition of station identifiers, lead-ins, etc? Was the assumption that a radio station might want to use (and pay) for them - something akin to the pre-recorded content used by many stations here in the USA - or was it just for personal entertainment?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:17 AM
Banned

So just to be clear...this is a radio show that was produced on cassette tapes, but was never broadcast over the airwaves and was not done in affiliation with or at the request of a radio station or radio chain?

In other words, it's a large lot of mix tapes, with the addition of station identifiers, lead-ins, etc? Was the assumption that a radio station might want to use (and pay) for them - something akin to the pre-recorded content used by many stations here in the USA - or was it just for personal entertainment?

Hi KCbluesman.

You appear to have missed the numerous, former posts, and so to clarify, will try my best to explain how it was for you.
So that I could practice my chosen 'hobby' while having aspirations to make it my preferred vocation, I devised the only
means by which it would work. I didn't possess a transmitter so how else could I circulate my mike work? There was only
one option and it worked just fine = cassette.

So to clear up your first question - yes, it was a full-blooded radio show from its inception - on tape. No, it wasn't Bx'd
on the airwaves and never had anything to do with any radio station. It began with half a dozen listeners and mushroomed
like a tree grows branches. I often had to decline new listeners because so many were interested in having their own shows.

Incorrect regarding 'a large lot of mix tapes', etc. This was a feedback project, where listeners could hear requests, and could suggest what comedy, home devised quizzes, etc, that they wished to hear. The audience were the real broadcasters and to that extent often voiced-over jingles, trailers, stabs, idents, etc, as well as were guests that related their lives. They frequently co-presented the prog. The show otherwise featured interviews with celebrities, live music bands and lots more.

There was never any external, professional involvement (as in 'pay') : it was purely 'personal entertainment' but always done
to a professional standard. I was manic about fidelity as it happens, yet would, in truth, never claim to be an audiophile to
that bar set by the many that are on this site. Their love is perfectly exceptional compared to my own, but I was pedantic.

Kindly appreciate that the medium by which a radio show is circulated is not the definition of what makes it that description.
Radio these days, compared with, say, the 1970s, is technically far more diverse, whether you listen to DAB or whatever.
SSU was a radio format show that attempted to include every arena of the audio spectrum - I even did a regular inclusion
for some years identifying birdsong, just 60 second sound bites relating facts about a species, and subsequently included
the vocals of other wildlife (badgers, squirrels, etc) on occasion, and this proved extremely popular.

I must confess that I do somewhat comprehend your confusion when, in retrospect, I consider how to define the show, and
appreciate that its dynamic was broad, but that was SSU... it simply aimed to be what it became.

I hope that I have adequately defined the show here, and can only otherwise quote the following from an earlier post :
On April 1 2017 BBC Radio 3 is broadcasting a show featuring a cassette-format radio show that was created in the UK from 1974-2002, with occasional episodes produced thereafter. It documents the invention and evolution of the programme called 'Second Side Up', and is regarded by the BBC to be a likely unique media-historical product in itself (no other show is known to have been circulated in this fashion) and particularly as it had a music-magazine type output with numerous slots, as well as reports, interviews, quizzes and much more besides, with 100s of homemade jingles, stabs, idents, trailers, etc. Among other things it featured 'Formula 90 - which means more music', that involved utilising the two pairs of stereo channels to create 3 hours of music from a 90 minute cassette (Left channel side A, left channel side B, then right channel side A and right channel side B) Each of 45 minutes enabling a total run-time of 3 hours. All the listener had to do was turn their amps channel fader/control to the required channel, and flick the output button from stereo to mono so that the recording played back on both speakers (in mono). This proved extremely popular with listeners. The twin-channel recordings were mastered on R2R then mass-dubbed onto (Sony/TDK) C90 Tapes. When the listener wanted a new show, they simply posted it back with a list of requests, etc. The shows founder narrates what otherwise went on. M.

Hope this helps you KC, and otherwise invite you to tune in to the BBC Bx, and if not, then you will find it on BBC PodCast.

Sincere regards.

Mark.

Last edited by nestbox; 03-21-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:29 AM
Dream tape never ends

And nobody is the wiser.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:55 AM
Banned

Yes you are and that's why you replied.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:10 AM
Banned

Hi.

I'd rather not be involved here with the members that seek to remomonstrate or otherwise. I am Not that person, and thanks anyhow, you win, I close my
account on that you beat me down. I'm a nice guy and you told me everything.

May be, unlike you, I am not jealous of others, or have a problem, but if I do, it isn't ego. I just wanted the family I never had... as they weren't available.

Sorry for who I offended, and can't say better than that, but so many thanks
for those that did, and God Bless you. That's all I might dare say.

Regards.

Mark.

I will be ending my Tapeheads membership. Thank you.

Wiki quote =

Radio broadcasting is a unidirectional wireless transmission over radio waves intended to reach a wide audience. Stations can be linked in radio networks to broadcast a common radio format, either in broadcast syndication or simulcast or both. Audio broadcasting also can be done via cable radio, local wire television networks, satellite radio, and internet radio via streaming media on the Internet. The signal types can be either analog audio or digital audio.

SSU was a Radio Show and NOT a broadcast, circulated via another medium.
Hope that helps.

Regards.

Mark.

Last edited by nestbox; 03-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.