Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartypoorty View Post
I'd only have one with a digital display....
Even easier, peel the cover off the self adhesive tape & stick the digital clock on.

The hardest decision would be which type of digital display, to go with digital numbers OR digital analog clock hands???

Like One of these, right?

Digital clock.jpeg Digital clock 2.jpeg Digital clock 3.jpeg
Old 03-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Serious Tapehead

I often wonder about this too. I figured they just tossed most of it because they knew it wouldn't sell.
The record store I go to has dollar bins where you'll find a pretty eclectic array of titles, but if they kept all the "undesirable" records, those dollar bins would be swamped with them... much like the record selection at the thrift store.

While I may not be into some of that music, I still think it's a shame that it's not at all appreciated by most people.

How about titles that are so popular, copies are a dime a dozen, such as Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours"? I hear record stores are always accumulating mountains of copies of it.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 PM
self-proclaimed pro-tracker

I know you can often go to the Goodwill warehouse outlet stores and buy media pallets of records, CDs, cassettes, VHS tapes, DVDs...by the pound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.goodwilleasterseals.org/shop/find-store
Outlet stores

If you think prices are good in our Goodwill stores, shop at Goodwill Outlets in St. Paul and Brooklyn Park and score bargains sold by the pound. Items are delivered to the sales floor in bulk bins and rotated periodically.

Items sold by the pound: accessories, clothing, housewares, media and shoes
Items sold by the piece: dinnerware, electronics and glassware
I have a friend who bought a media pallet thinking he would flip everything on eBay...LOL, think again, it was all sh*t.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroengine View Post
I know you can often go to the Goodwill warehouse outlet stores and buy media pallets of records, CDs, cassettes, VHS tapes, DVDs...by the pound.

I have a friend who bought a media pallet thinking he would flip everything on eBay...LOL, think again, it was all sh*t.
Those bins by the pound are the dregs of what they couldn't sell on the floor. By now I could have 1000 Eddie Arnold albums, 5000 Jerry Vale albums, 12,000 South Pacific albums and an uncountable number of Kitty Kallen records. The odd thing is the old rock and rock and roll is still viable and the kids buy it up.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390FE View Post
They also get turned into clocks (a very easy craft project).

As for Julie London you can also watch her on Emergency reruns as well as various tv shows & movies.
And she was married to Bobby Troup (wrote Get Your Kicks On Route 66) who was also Dr. Early on Emergency!
I got two guns here! I'm not sure which foot is gonna hurt, 'lessen I miss but I 'spect we're gonna find out!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
Kitty Kallen records.
Kitty Kallen's "Quiet Nights" is one of my all-time favorite late night recordings. My vinyl copy is an absolutely dead quiet pressing too.

Who else do you consider "dregs" that perhaps I'm unfamiliar with? Notepad in hand.......
Old 03-21-2017, 12:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sMonoFan View Post
Kitty Kallen's "Quiet Nights" is one of my all-time favorite late night recordings. My vinyl copy is an absolutely dead quiet pressing too.

Who else do you consider "dregs" that perhaps I'm unfamiliar with? Notepad in hand.......
You asked for it. A very small sampling of artists and titles that languish for eternities on thrift store shelves. I'm still waiting for the first case scenario where some kid that's discovered vinyl to wax ecstatic over scoring any of them. And yet there is great Jazz and Blues artists and titles from that era and before that are still coveted, still in print and or in reissue having been out of print. The stuff that languishes is the shmaltz. It was the contrived pleasant sound track of post war suburbia.

Pat Boone
Mitch Miller
Johnny Rae
Patti Page
Arthur Godfrey
Perry Como
Wayne Newton
The Lettermen
Jack Jones
Lawrence Welk
Guy Lombardo
Eddie Fisher
Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 PM

Welcome to the "Music and Book Landfill".

You park and enter in the back of the building.

Take your pick.

This is the "outlet store" for a chain of record stores here in the Twin Cities called "Cheapo Record and Discs". This is where all the rougher condition, unsold, and overstock records go. All records are $1 each or 6 for $5. You never know what you'll find here, there's lots of common stuff, but I've found some rarer titles before. They only have records, cassettes and VHS tapes, no CDs or books (unlike what the sign says). They had the backroom door open once and behind the scenes are shelves after shelves of records, thousands and thousands of them. I know I took a picture, I'm still looking for it on my HDDs. The average condition of the records are not great, they'll normally need cleaning, they likely have some scratches and scuffs, they may not be in an inner sleeve and the outer jacket may be beat up or water damaged. They draw a black 'X' over the label of the record to mark it as sold in their outlet store (I suppose so you cannot try to bring it back to one of their other locations or maybe try to resell it to them for more). They're playable records though, great for trying out new music. With some good cleaning, most will sound decent.

What they do with the ones that fail to sell in this last chance "landfill", I don't know, I should've asked while I was there today. I'd guess they either end up back in their warehouse, sold in bulk...or in the trash.

Last edited by nitroengine; 03-21-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Serious Tapehead

Looks like a very cool place. I'm just making plans to travel with a music friend to a good record store 100 miles to the east.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:09 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:

You park and enter in the back of the building.

Take your pick.

This is the "outlet store" for a chain of record stores here in the Twin Cities called "Cheapo Record and Discs". This is where all the rougher condition, unsold, and overstock records go. All records are $1 each or 6 for $5. You never know what you'll find here, there's lots of common stuff, but I've found some rarer titles before. They only have records, cassettes and VHS tapes, no CDs or books (unlike what the sign says). They had the backroom door open once and behind the scenes are shelves after shelves of records, thousands and thousands of them. I know I took a picture, I'm still looking for it on my HDDs. The average condition of the records are not great, they'll normally need cleaning, they likely have some scratches and scuffs, they may not be in an inner sleeve and the outer jacket may be beat up or water damaged. They draw a black 'X' over the label of the record to mark it as sold in their outlet store (I suppose so you cannot try to bring it back to one of their other locations or maybe try to resell it to them for more). They're playable records though, great for trying out new music. With some good cleaning, most will sound decent.

What they do with the ones that fail to sell in this last chance "landfill", I don't know, I should've asked while I was there today. I'd guess they either end up back in their warehouse, sold in bulk...or in the trash.
Oh wow, what an awesome place! I would definitely go there, but too bad it's 1,500 Km away from me. I would probably spend all day in there, and I bet there's a lot of interesting stuff. Hey, if the record is playable, I'm happy!

I have a Procol Harum album with a black X on the label... think it came from that place? (I highly doubt it, but it would be cool if it did!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1534.JPG (98.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:40 PM

Here's 2 records I bought yesterday, haven't cleaned and played them yet. They'll need some DEEP cleaning.

Although, after looking through the 10 or so records I bought yesterday, 2 of them did not have an 'X' drawn on them. So, I'm not completely sure what the deal is with the 'X', whether they draw it on there or not. It does appear that a vast majority of records I've looked at and bought from them do have the 'X'...sometimes carelessly drawn and extending into the grooves.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
Patti Page
I'm drowning in Patti Page albums and loving it!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Looks like an organized version of Brooklyn's "The Thing".
Old 03-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Serious Tapehead

Not sure I'd call Perry Como schmaltz; He was one of the most successful entertainers around for many years. He had a very nice, easy-going vocal style. I guess it depends on if you like easy listening vocals or not.

However, he did record a version of "I Think I Love You" when he was big again for awhile in the early '70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zNB3EYnR8

Last edited by NAD613; 03-22-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:22 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

As I was going through the piles of so-called undisireable or just unwanted records at thrift stores. I couldn't help thinking that 30,40 50 years ago, somebody, or a group of somebodys went through a lot of time, effort, money to produce this piece of vinal in a carboard sleve. I can't help but think that once upon a time this was somebody's pride and joy. Guess thats why I can't throw any music away. Always to a thrift store or something similar, cause maybe,just maybe somebody will want it or can use it.
Philips FC-60 Nakamichi 482:480- Sony MDS-JE320..JE510
Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 AM
Dream tape never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
As I was going through the piles of so-called undisireable or just unwanted records at thrift stores. I couldn't help thinking that 30,40 50 years ago, somebody, or a group of somebodys went through a lot of time, effort, money to produce this piece of vinal in a carboard sleve. I can't help but think that once upon a time this was somebody's pride and joy.
TBQH, most of the stuff that eventually ends up in the "undesirable" section was not first-rate even when it first came out.

Sure, there are exceptions (that's what keeps us coming back for more), but a lot of it was just mediocre, niche or fad stuff even when new. E.g. forgettable copycat disco or pop music from the 70s, soundtracks to second-rate movies, folk or classical music recordings from unknown orchestras, easy-listening etc. and who can forget the countless instrumental covers from artists like James Last, Klaus Wunderlich, Fausto Papetti etc.?

The fact that resources were expended to make them doesn't say anything: just look at how much garbage the music industry is pumping and has been pumping out for decades. It's just that today, such titles end up relatively quickly in the bargain bin, perhaps in a matter of months as opposed to years or decades.

Last edited by Velktron; 03-29-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
I can't help but think that once upon a time this was somebody's pride and joy.
Or somebody's attempt to turn a quick buck.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:35 PM
Lover of all things TECH!

Atari...

This comes to my mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

ST
Old 10-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Serious Tapehead

I used to frequent a place that put an x in sharpie on the label of all their dollar bin records. I was always a bit torn. They had a great dollar bin so I was happy to get decent records for a buck each, but intentionally defacing records kind of rubs me the wrong way. I guess they were trying to keep people from flipping them, but not really sure why they care.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Serious Tapehead

I recently joked about some "undesirable grandmother type records" Of which there are nearly as many as there are of rock era albums. But it occurred to me these millions of records that nobody wants could in fact be easily recycled back into modern records. The simplest approach is send the jacket to paper recycling and punch the center label out leaving a pure vinyl donut to be ground up and mixed with modern vinyl pellets and remelted into a fresh record. I bet the nations surplus of old Herb Alpert albums alone could make for a near platinum run for say Jack White or Foo Fighters. There really is no reason why old unwanted records have to be landfill or clocks and floor decoration. Let them be music again that people may want.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.