Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel > Open Reel Tape Media

Open Reel Tape Media All aspects of tape itself; quality, characteristics, experiences, use and storage.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Serious Tapehead

A Typical Array of Prerecorded RTR Tapes.

The reel to reel format was always a bit on the high brow side and rock tapes are quite rare. This video is typical of much of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8V6tqdMHU
Old 03-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Serious Tapehead

Does YouTube not flag your video because of copyright music being played? Cool to see your collection! I wish you would have specified the ips of each tape. I'm always curious as to what tapes where manufactured and at what ips. Thanks for the post.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markpilk View Post
Does YouTube not flag your video because of copyright music being played? Cool to see your collection! I wish you would have specified the ips of each tape. I'm always curious as to what tapes where manufactured and at what ips. Thanks for the post.
Thankfully it's not my collection! Most of it I wouldn't own under any circumstance.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
Thankfully it's not my collection! Most of it I wouldn't own under any circumstance.
Yep, most of the rock music I like, was never on reel and the few that were are 3.75.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 AM
Supporter of Reel Analog-resistance is futile!

Half those tapes are easy listening found cheaply on ebay. As already stated 3 3/4ips tapes are not worth the price paid.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Ordinary Tapehead

I bought lots of tapes brand new (dates me, huh?) and used to be a 7 1/2 snob. Then one day I bought "Uncle Meat" by the Mothers of Invention for three bucks in a bargain bin (yes, there was such a thing as cutout reels), the box of which was labeled 7 1/2 IPS - but the tape was 3 3/4. Outrage! I want my money back - oh well, might as well play it first - hey, this sounds pretty good.

Point being, there are good and bad sounding tapes at either speed. I still buy the occasional used reel; just last week snagged "The Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw" (Butterfield Blues Band), an Ampex 3 3/4. I won't say what I paid for it, only note that a new vinyl LP reissue copy would cost more. It sounds fine, and incidentally will have a higher resale value than that hypothetical LP - If I were to sell it, which I won't!

Over the years, I have developed a sense of which duping houses are careful, which are less so. If Columbia House tapes have a bad rep, there's a good reason.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashbul View Post
I bought lots of tapes brand new (dates me, huh?) and used to be a 7 1/2 snob. Then one day I bought "Uncle Meat" by the Mothers of Invention for three bucks in a bargain bin (yes, there was such a thing as cutout reels), the box of which was labeled 7 1/2 IPS - but the tape was 3 3/4. Outrage! I want my money back - oh well, might as well play it first - hey, this sounds pretty good.
However finding the few rock tapes of any speed is somewhat rare. In the past five years I have encountered exactly 7 pre recorded RTR tapes. I bought five of the seven since the reels were nice and the boxes were in good shape. The programming was stuff like Mario Lanza, some faux classical guitar music, Fiddler On The Roof. South Pacific and Finnigan's Rainbow. In that same selection was a Token's tape and Young Rascals Greatest Hits. I rerecorded over or dumped all of the tape and felt not a moments remorse for doing so. Now if it had been Kinda Blue or Dexter Gordon's One Flight Up they would be still as recorded.

I look at the old recorded tape market sort of like the classic car market. Some things are worthy of preservation and other things are not. Yes a 62 Rambler American has four wheels as does a 62 Corvette but is the Rambler worth preserving on that basis? It's almost a shame that RTR had to be saddled with so many titles marketed to a music modality that was more in line with the a lost listener modality of another age. If RTR had first come along in 1960 maybe there would be a more lively selection of tapes now. I have only one pre recorded RTR tape of any real stature and it more or less hints at what could have been or perhaps could have been had the timing been different. And so I sigh that it's a pity I'm just not into show tunes.............
Old 03-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Serious Tapehead

I did have Traffic (John Barleycorn) and George Harrison (All Things Must Pass) as well as a few others I got with a deck last year. Both those went for over $100 on eBay as I wasn't really interested in them. Both 3 3/4.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 AM
Live Long and Prosper..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gussers View Post
I did have Traffic (John Barleycorn) and George Harrison (All Things Must Pass) as well as a few others I got with a deck last year. Both those went for over $100 on eBay as I wasn't really interested in them. Both 3 3/4.
Both these titles, if available for a reasonable price (15-25$ EACH) from responsible owners collection that took good care of the software and hardware, OR still sealed, would be well worth owning at either speed. Back in the day, even Columbia House and RCA music service sold good quality open reel tapes, unlike many of their LP's, and CD's available later.

I have the Core 7 Moody Blues albums released on open reel commercial tape, bought NOS-SS, back in the early 2000's. All play and perform perfectly, better than many of their LP counter parts. You would need to find the better US or European pressings of that time, along with a high quality Phono stage, Cartridge set up correctly, and good turntable to trump the quality of these tapes, especially when played back on a moderate quality open reel deck, such as the A2300SD and a mid-fi 2 channel /quad kit.

Some folks dis all 3 3/4 ips or Quad recordings, opting instead for the 7 1/2 ips versions where available. Honestly I find many of the 3 3/4 versions to sound anywhere from descent, to quite good on a well thought out kit. These slower tapes also can be a $$ bargain especially today, though many sellers are in it simply for the $$ or flipping, and their prices reflect this attitude, not necessarily coming from a quality standpoint. Going back just 5 years, you could still find popular titles starting at 5$ each up to hundreds of $$. Today, unless it is a fluke, these same tapes often start around 20$ each and more, because of the analog hipster resurgence.

I payed under 10$ each delivered for each of my Moody Blues open reel tapes, and they are well worth it at that price, even the 3 3/4 ips versions. There are several or more tapes I see from TMB's at 7 1/2 ips, including Days Of Future Passed, which is a Quad Discrete release as well. According to the records I can find, many/most of the Core 7 were available at both speeds, including a Question of Balance, In Search Of The Lost Chord Seventh Sojourn, Childrens Childrens Children, Days Of Future Passed, and Threshold Of A Dream. Not sure about Quad releases other than Days, you can get the Quad releases newly released on high resolution multi channel digital media, in the same way Pink Floyd and other band,s who recorded in Quad analog at the time have recently been re-releasing their catalogs on 4.0, 4.1 and 5.1 multi channel, as well as 2.0 analog.

If you have a Quad/4 channel open reel, such as the A3340S Teac, I highly recommend you check out any open reel Quad versions of releases available, they are a real treat if your system is designed for 2/multi channel analog or digital multi channel. Even the 2 channel SACD and DVD/A similar and newer releases are magic to listen to. On a proper kit, these releases are as close to being in the studio, or on stage with your favorite acts as you will ever get at home, and among some of the best analog recordings (IMHO) that have EVER been released for home audio/video Analog and Digital enjoyment and use..

I would never turn my nose up at any of these at any given speed, since these the are real jewels out there and available. You just need to take care to buy the older stuff in top condition from a notable seller, that cares, and keep an eye out for reasonable prices. Just because these releases are priced to the stratosphere and beyond, does not automatically mean their quality is in the stratosphere as well. Now and then great deals priced accordingly come to the market, not everyone is in it for the $$$.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Mixtapes are an art unto themselves

Quote:
a 62 Rambler American has four wheels as does a 62 Corvette but is the Rambler worth preserving on that basis?
There are a lot more '62 Corvettes left today than '62 Ramblers (classic car insurance companies keep statistics on how many of X models are insured), so the lower population of those Ramblers would be an argument for preservation.
Storing a car for decades takes more space and commitment than leaving a few boxes of tape reels in the basement for the same period of time, which is why non-rock reel tapes are fairly common to find, and '62 Ramblers are not all over used car lots.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Point being, there are good and bad sounding tapes at either speed.
Over the years, I have developed a sense of which duping houses are careful, which are less so. If Columbia House tapes have a bad rep, there's a good reason.
I tend to lean towards 7.5, but will grab a 3.75 if the price right. And yes I have found a few 3.75 that sound surprisingly well and also some 7.5 that are surprisingly bad. One that comes to mind is Bob Dylan's greatest hits at 7.5. It's ok, but it didn't blow me away. I also have America's greatest hits 7.5 Dolby that is fantastic as is 7.5 moody blues and Rolling Stones 7.5 Sticky Fingers. And even the 3.75 tapes that sound really good, they don't compare to the really nice 7.5's

I don't listen to pre recorded as much as my self made reels and thought about selling them, but after spending a couple days play testing each reel and looking up prices, I'm now thinking I'll keep them! Once there gone, I can't replace them for a reasonable price.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Unrepentant Reel Addict

I dunno...I've managed to collect a few 7.5 ips pre-recorded rock reels

Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Serious Tapehead

What's the oldest tape in the collection?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Unrepentant Reel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
What's the oldest tape in the collection?
Not too sure - probably 66-ish?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

Nice collection Skylab, it's hard to read all, but they seem to be 7.5 ips. Great to see that many 7.5 selections are in existence. I've always been curious if any King Crimson had been released.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:23 AM
Ordinary Tapehead

Ulp! Quite a good stash you got. I notice you don't have Pigboy Crabshaw though!

Last year someone was selling sealed rock and jazz tapes on Ebay, "buy it now" price around $30. Lots of copies of the same set of titles - I got "Ginger Baker's Air Force", and as I mentioned, if you wanted a brand-new reissue LP you'd pay as much if not more.

There may indeed have been a bigger market for non-rock reels, but they certainly did release a lot of rock titles, and not always the giant hits. I believe the military was a steady customer - lending libraries for GIs preferred them over LPs that were more fragile if you handled them roughly, like say on the ground in Vietnam.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Unrepentant Reel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markpilk View Post
Nice collection Skylab, it's hard to read all, but they seem to be 7.5 ips. Great to see that many 7.5 selections are in existence. I've always been curious if any King Crimson had been released.
Thanks. Yup, those are all 7.5 ips. And sadly, no King Crimson The only KC reel I have ever seen is Court, and it was 3.75.

Quote:
Ulp! Quite a good stash you got. I notice you don't have Pigboy Crabshaw though!

Last year someone was selling sealed rock and jazz tapes on Ebay, "buy it now" price around $30. Lots of copies of the same set of titles - I got "Ginger Baker's Air Force", and as I mentioned, if you wanted a brand-new reissue LP you'd pay as much if not more.

There may indeed have been a bigger market for non-rock reels, but they certainly did release a lot of rock titles, and not always the giant hits. I believe the military was a steady customer - lending libraries for GIs preferred them over LPs that were more fragile if you handled them roughly, like say on the ground in Vietnam.
Indeed. There are a few commercial reels I have paid decent money for, but most of them were around $25, and some were much less.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:05 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Some very, very nice titles, Skylab.
ABB Fillmore East just went on ebay for about a C-note.
Alvin Lee & TYA?
Phhhsssh.
I'm starting to build a library, experimenting with a few cheap 3.75s, a quartet of Herb Alpert & TJ Brass 7.5s (took me right back to laying on the floor watching the "Dating Game" as a tyke............), some classical stuff.
Spending a fair amount of time watching and learning auction, seeing if I can get some decent titles for less than an arm.
There's a guy on fleabay from Moldovia selling copies of classic albums. Feedback suggests good quality. Anyone have any experience?
My System: Denon AVR-X4000 / Hafler DH220 w/full Musical Concepts mod / Adcom GFA6000 / Denon DCD-1500 / Akai GX-280D / Technics SH-8045 / Magnepan MMG mains w/MMG-C center Paradigm Phantom v.2 rears / Rythmik F12G / Belkin PF-60 Power Console
Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Ordinary Tapehead

The Moldova guy just records CDs and makes paste-on covers. You can do that yourself. Avoid.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:06 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
The Moldova guy just records CDs and makes paste-on covers. You can do that yourself. Avoid.
I appreciate that. I was wondering if there was a scam afoot.
My System: Denon AVR-X4000 / Hafler DH220 w/full Musical Concepts mod / Adcom GFA6000 / Denon DCD-1500 / Akai GX-280D / Technics SH-8045 / Magnepan MMG mains w/MMG-C center Paradigm Phantom v.2 rears / Rythmik F12G / Belkin PF-60 Power Console

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.