Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 08-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Serious Tapehead

Today's yardsale find

So I left the house this morning and around the corner was a yard sale. Something made me stop. I picked up a Technics Sl-1300 for $5.00. Had an Audio Technica head shell and the AT cart is toast as it's bent. It needs a serious cleaning but the moment I picked it up the platter rotated a few revolutions. I'm working on the Tascam 122 Mk II at the moment but I think that'll be the next clean up project! Add it to the SL-B30, SL-D2. Geez I'm a freakin' Hoarder!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got two guns here! I'm not sure which foot is gonna hurt, 'lessen I miss but I 'spect we're gonna find out!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Turn it up!

I'm guessing you already know this, but the bent cantilever on the AT cartridge doesn't mean the cartridge itself is bad. Ohm it out...chances are it's still good, as they rarely go bad.

The 1300 is a very nice table...very similar to the 1200, but the motor has slightly less torque...but still plenty for home use.

Deox the speed pots, clean out and replace old lubricants in the auto mechanisms and maybe some new damping fluid for the cueing - should be good to go.

Very nice score.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Serious Tapehead

Cueing works flawless, It's not that it looks heavily used it's that it looks uncared for. Everything is intact and the cover is, on initial appearance, scratched up but I can make a holding fixture for it and buff it out to look like glass again so I'm not concerned. Just need to finish the deck and then give this a tune up, figure out what it needs and go for it if it's not to far out. I don't think it is. Time will tell. For 5 bucks, worth a bit of effort.
I got two guns here! I'm not sure which foot is gonna hurt, 'lessen I miss but I 'spect we're gonna find out!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Serious Tapehead

Update, lubed the motor this morning and ran it a bit but looked a bit unstable. Put an AT 440 mlb in it, and set with protractor, cleaned the mat and now listening to Deep Purple "Burn" side one. speed has stabilized and it sounds really good. Issue is that if you just trip start, it runs the arm all the way to the end of an album run and then jumps back. I've done that with the tone arm lifter up. Have to see what happens when she realizes she's got a good home. Maybe she'll behave and play nice. Otherwise we'll have to dig into it.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

ignorant1 how do you like the AT 440? I have a Heybrook TT2 that is being tuned and balanced right now and I don't like the LINN K9 cart. Thinking of selling the K9 and buying a AT 440 or Sumiko cart. That SL-D2 is a neat table.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Serious Tapehead

Re: the AT440, I'll have to listen to some other stuff with it. Initially it seems to bring up the high freq. a bit. I'll have to again, play some other stuff to fully assess it. I'm having one other issue with the table. Near the very end of a side it skips playing that same section (1 rotation) over and over. So I suspect there may be some debris or something in the gimbal. I'm also considering when I get to opening it up that I might set it up with L & R RCA's and a banana plug jack for the ground. I'll just have to see if there is room to accomplish that. Right now the Tascam 122 MkII is first priority.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:39 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

If it has an auto return function then there could be a mis-adjusted end record detect or old grease in the return mechanism. I have worked on some of the Technics and a lot on the Duals. They can have some things to figure out. If the stylus is damaged can't you just get a new one or don't they sell that anymore?
I don't work on Tables anymore but I do have a few of my own if I can ever get to using them again.

Sam Palermo, BSEE and ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM
Serious Tapehead

Sam, It's a standard 1/2" mount and I put on a new AT440 that I had. Wasn't going to use a bent stylus. Just asking for trouble! With cue up and move tone arm toward end of record, it returns. It just needs some love, that's all. Like I mentioned, the 122 MkII is the priority right now. I've got other turntables so I'm not concerned.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.