Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 PM
DeAmerikaanseTapEigenaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4mcl View Post
that timer play/record function has resulted in me getting many deals on tape decks from thrift store "techs" that believe they are broken. i no longer bother to argue with them.
I got some crappy JVC deck from about 1982 for $4 from Goodwill a while ago, with "no remote" marked on the bottom to account for the low price. Evidently, all decks are supposed to have remotes...

I also found that Realistic "casseiver" all-in-one I posted on here a while back for $7, because apparently the tape deck didn't work. The door sometimes has trouble closing, but it works perfectly.

But hey, it's morally OK as long as you're not snobbish about it, right?

Receiver: Scott R33S Speakers: GE A1-401, Wharfedale W-60 Cassette: Nakamichi RX-202/CR-1A R2R: Akai 1730-SS CD: ADC 16/2R
Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 PM
8-Trashed..........

If you hate all the useless features, I know of the perfect deck........

Behold the Advent 201!!! 2 heads, Dolby B, One BIG ugly VU meter, and that sexy Wollensak transport. All machine and no gizmos, timers, music search, mpx, remotes, logic control, or any of that nonsense. I kinda want one now

/__\
Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Serious Tapehead

I like some of the "useless" features that you hate, so I'll post their defense.

Autoreverse - really useful in a car - less time worrying about the tape is more time spent paying attention to the road. Also useful in a walkman as sometimes it can be difficult to flip the tape (I am working on something while listening to the tape and my hands are dirty for example).
Blank skip - again, useful in a car.
MPX filter - recording FM stereo broadcast to a tape using Dolby practically requires it.
Song search - extremely useful for checking if the used "blank" tape is actually blank. Otherwise it would be me sitting for 90 minutes listening to tape hiss. I wish my main R2R deck had it.
Peak hold meters - useful, especially when the meters are really fast. I do not want to stare at the "+1" segment trying to see if it blinks for 0.1s.

I also like tape calibration a lot. If I ever want to replace my RS-BX646 as my main recording deck, the next one should have auto tape calibration (preferably with the ability to tweak it a bit) or at least bias/eq/level controls with built-in oscillators. I use whatever cheap tapes I happen to find, so I need the calibration to squeeze as much fidelity from them as possible.
This is the problem with most reel to reel decks - I calibrate it for one tape and then do not want to alter the settings because that means taking the deck apart, connecting the signal generator and oscilloscope - basically it takes too long for it to be done before every recording. At least the faster speed of reel tape means it is not as sensitive to the bias/eq settings as cassette and no need for Dolby means that the level is not required to be really precise.
R2R: Akai GX636, Электроника-004, Revox A77, Юпитер МК-106С, Снежеть-301, National RQ-115, Uher 4400 IC, Aidas 9M, АСТРА 110С - Cassette: Technics RS-BX646, Sony WM-D6C, Marantz PMD430, Sony WM-EX606 - VHS: Siemens FM739 (SVHS), Sharp VC-MH704, Panasonic AG-7330 (SVHS) - Radio: Latvija M, Leak Troughline Stereo, Siemens B8 - Record player: Technics SL-D20, JVC L-E5 - LD: Pioneer CLD-2850 - MD: Sony MZ-RH1 - Amp: Denon PMA-1080R, Hitachi HA-37 - Other: dbx 224, 400xg, 3bx-ds 500char limit is here
Old 05-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_rye89 View Post
If you hate all the useless features, I know of the perfect deck........

Behold the Advent 201!!! 2 heads, Dolby B, One BIG ugly VU meter, and that sexy Wollensak transport. All machine and no gizmos, timers, music search, mpx, remotes, logic control, or any of that nonsense. I kinda want one now
i always hated the fact that those cheap bastards only put ONE meter in that advent deck. advent management should have taken a ride over to their accountants house and taken one of everything he had two of just to make a point.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Serious Tapehead

For me I'd say this is less a case of 'useless' more a case of 'seldom used but might come in handy one day'!

my tops:
-MPX filter
-timer
-rec mute
-playback/output level control. Another useless thing in the signal path!

I get quite a bit of use out of autoreverse (playback units only), cue/review and music scan. And wood sides - I like 'em, I have a CTF9191 after all. Give me those over 'orrible 1980s black sheet metal or plastic, any day.

I find it hard to see why anyone would object to remote control, after all nobody would consider buying a tv or dvd without one, so why do without on the cassette deck?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Serious Tapehead

I flip flop on the wood chonks. Sometimes i like them and sometimes i'm like, why are there wood chonks screwed to the sides of my cassette deck.

I can, however, say that no trees were harmed in the making of the sony vinyl laminated partical board "wood chonks". Well, i guess it is particals of wood. But i imagine that they are like hot dogs in that they use the scrap bits to make the partical board.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 PM
DeAmerikaanseTapEigenaar

Oh, I forgot: synchro links, like JVC's "CompuLink". I've never seen that used on a deck.

Receiver: Scott R33S Speakers: GE A1-401, Wharfedale W-60 Cassette: Nakamichi RX-202/CR-1A R2R: Akai 1730-SS CD: ADC 16/2R
Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 PM
NLA

Timers R Good

You can, but don't need to wake to the Morning Game Reserve/old DJ rehabilitation farm and listen to the chatty duo dominated by some guy who knows he's funny. The timer allows you to put the deck to bed and use it like an alarm clock.

I did this with quads for a while and NOTHING says Good Morning like the THUMP of your classic beast waking up. I love Japan at 6:30!

Long ago you could actually get MPX in your Sendust, Sendust in your MPX/mess up the Dolby more than some already claim.

Way back when in '73 My Pioneer TX-9100 got one of those output pots.

Balancing the levels without a mixer is nice. AM and FM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectiktronik View Post
For me I'd say this is less a case of 'useless' more a case of 'seldom used but might come in handy one day'!

my tops:
-MPX filter
-timer
-rec mute

I get quite a bit of use out of autoreverse (playback units only), cue/review and music scan. And wood sides - I like 'em, I have a CTF9191 after all. Give me those over 'orrible 1980s black sheet metal or plastic, any day.

I find it hard to see why anyone would object to remote control, after all nobody would consider buying a tv or dvd without one, so why do without on the cassette deck?
It's the WIRED remotes. I'm more of a manual, hands on operator by nature.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 PM
NLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvestmanMan View Post
Oh, I forgot: synchro links, like JVC's "CompuLink". I've never seen that used on a deck.
You've never had a receiver, deck etc to use it. Few people have I suspect as we tend to buy gear piecemeal .
Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Useless features?
Motorized tape loading! that make cleaning the capstans a pain in the ass
Auto Rec Level! I got a Technics deck for repair with that feature so there is not input level adjustment! , it looked like a cool deck but they killed it with those two features.
There are some deck that loads the cassette like if they were car radios, how do you clean them? I like the see my tapes spinning, you can't with those!
Auto Head Cleaner from VCRs! that's the first thing I remove from my VCRs when I get them new, with time they contaminate back the heads and might even damage them! I hope not to find those on cassette decks.
Remote Control: at least they can be useful sometimes, I remember when I was trying to get a song from FM and I was getting up a lot from my chair every time a song was about to finish so I had to tie a string to the pause button of my RS-608
Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

So, reversing the old adagio, known mostly by computer guys: It's not a feature, it's a bug!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Otari Fanatic

That Advent 201 does something too many modern decks don't do. Be dependable and reliable in daily use. Every alignment on it is easily accessed. It's easy to service and maintain. It is sturdy. And US made. I have owned mine since 1973 when I bought it with less than 20 hours on it for half new price. Never has it failed me when I needed to use it. It still sounds quite good.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiMomo View Post
Auto Head Cleaner from VCRs! that's the first thing I remove from my VCRs when I get them new, with time they contaminate back the heads and might even damage them! I hope not to find those on cassette decks.
The tape deck in my car has a little brush that swipes the head when the tape is inserted. Seems useful. Also, the LTO tape drives I have also have a brush that cleans the head on tape insertion - that is a useful feature and it reduces the number of times I have to use the (abrasive) cleaning tape.
R2R: Akai GX636, Электроника-004, Revox A77, Юпитер МК-106С, Снежеть-301, National RQ-115, Uher 4400 IC, Aidas 9M, АСТРА 110С - Cassette: Technics RS-BX646, Sony WM-D6C, Marantz PMD430, Sony WM-EX606 - VHS: Siemens FM739 (SVHS), Sharp VC-MH704, Panasonic AG-7330 (SVHS) - Radio: Latvija M, Leak Troughline Stereo, Siemens B8 - Record player: Technics SL-D20, JVC L-E5 - LD: Pioneer CLD-2850 - MD: Sony MZ-RH1 - Amp: Denon PMA-1080R, Hitachi HA-37 - Other: dbx 224, 400xg, 3bx-ds 500char limit is here
Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectiktronik View Post
my tops:
This was suppose to help people balance the levels of various sources (like FM, tape, phono), that passing from one to another neither to be forced to constantly adjust the main volume ("main fader" ), nor to scare the dog, cat, wife, neighbours etc.

Yes, it's useless when all other components obey the same requirements. Which is not always the case, even with components of the same line.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:39 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

No hate for auto record feature on Nakamichi CR-7? It's like recording DVR/TV as soon as you power on. Or like adding a shock button on a Nintendo sytem next to reset button with the only purpose of shocking you.

I accidentally recorded over two important tapes that can never be replaced because auto/rec got switched on from shipping.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:21 PM
Serious Tapehead

Don't take this the wrong way but just because you don't use those features doesn't make it useless. I couldn't be home to listen to Dr. Demento on KMET 94.7 back in the day so I set my Pioneer timer (500) to fire up my SX-3600 and CT-F750 to record it. Then the CT-F750 auto reversed to record the other side of a 90 min. tape. Without both of those features, I'd have missed out on a lot. But then we are talking about equipment that was around 1978 build era and the quality is much better then maybe the crap you're maybe thinking of and talking about in the Late 80's and early 90's. It doesn't auto rewind but it auto reverses. Since calibrating it, it's pretty good. I put on a tape through the receiver through the outside speakers and I get 90 minutes of yard work done without having to go in the house to flip a tape. What's the matter with that?
I got two guns here! I'm not sure which foot is gonna hurt, 'lessen I miss but I 'spect we're gonna find out!
Old 08-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Serious Tapehead

Oh, and by the way, all 3 of those pioneer units (500 timer, sx-3600 receiver and ct-f750 deck still work quite well.
I got two guns here! I'm not sure which foot is gonna hurt, 'lessen I miss but I 'spect we're gonna find out!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:02 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

You weren't there to record so you set the deck up to do it while you were gone. Like DVR. There should have been security some how to use auto/rec on a deck. On a DVR/TV your not going to bump the controller and accidentally record over one your shows. I'll never get over this. It's been four years since I recorded over these two tapes on accident. The technician who rebuilt my two naks said the auto/rec feature caused a lot of headaches and heartbreaks. I guess it's my own fault for not reading the manual or pulling the tabs. I still haven't pulled any tabs yet on any of my cassettes.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:15 PM
Serious Tapehead

Well, can't say I haven't done the same. Way back when, I took a class that was on public broadcast. You only had to show up for the mid term and final tests. I'd set the same system up to record via microphone off the tv, also linked to the timer. I slept and it was recorded. Some of my tapes that I hadn't listend to in many moons that I thought were something that I wanted turned out to be that stupid class. Most tapes are labeled and I still don't bust out the tabs. Don't know why I guess I'm just sure of what I'm doing with the deck. Back then, in college, I was probably a few sheets to the wind when I just grabbed a tape to record on. Baa Haa haaa.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:56 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

There are features brought in by marketing that were used to sell decks over other models. If you do not use timer function then don't worry about it. Record mute I have used a few times. CPS and all that is a feature only if you leave gaps of quiet between songs. I don't record this way.
External bias was good if implemented correctly but in most cases they had to be with record level as well as some internal oscillator and the meters that were adjusted while you did this for -20 dB reading at 0 Vu. I find that despite all these other high tech features that LED meters that go to +10 dB on peak meters just encourage some to record that high. It is really idiotic to do that on a cassette tape but then those that do don't really have a clue about recording anyway. Why don't they use the additional LEDs for and expanded range around and just below 0 dB where they could be useful in refining the resolution of the meter system.

Auto cal in some machines does result in terrible results but then some never test to see what it is doing they just go on their merry way. Some of them have to be calibrated and the calibration changes with wear and time.
I think the motorized doors are an attempt to impress someone at the higher level machines. That company would be better off keeping parts available for a long time for customers rather than throwing them in the dumpster and writing it all off. Sounds like a certain S company but then they have been good a messing up all along the way starting with the invention of the VHS.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.