Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Kapoho Guy

Pioneer CT-F750 Motor Stalled

I recently acquired a non-working CT-F750 cassette deck. I cleaned up the old belt goo and replaced all the belts (thanks to the great kit with detailed instructions from WJOE Radio--highly recommended). The deck powers on and lights up, but the motor doesn't turn. You can hear a solenoid kick in but nothing else. I tried it without the belts attached in case they were binding, but still nothing. Removed the motor and tested with a 9v battery and it spins just fine. However, hooked up to the machine it does nothing. I checked the leads to the motor and they have continuity all the way back to the main circuit board. This is where my expertise runs out. Any ideas out there folks? Love this forum.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Serious Tapehead

Check the tape in switch. Even if the pin is engaged by a tape being put in, it may not be actuating the switch. It may need adjustment or the switch may have failed. I have taken them apart, cleaned the contacts to re-new them with 100% success.

If you don't have the service manual for it go to www.hifiengine.com
I got two guns here! I'm not sure which foot is gonna hurt, 'lessen I miss but I 'spect we're gonna find out!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Kapoho Guy

Two more things

And yes, I tried it with a cassette installed. Still nothing. My multimeter shows the leads delivering a small amount of power to the motor, but apparently not enough to run it. Could this be a bad capacitor somewhere in the circuit?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

Check the continuity through the switch while actuating both the tape in pin in the cassette housing and also check while actuating the tang/arm of the switch.
I got two guns here! I'm not sure which foot is gonna hurt, 'lessen I miss but I 'spect we're gonna find out!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Kapoho Guy

The main switch seems to be working fine. All the lights come on and I can hear one of the solenoids clicking when I switch it on. The problem appears to be somewhere in the circuit though, since the motor does work when connected to another power source. I may have to scrap this deck if a solution can't be found. I'm not sure it is worth paying someone to fix.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:45 PM
Serious Tapehead

Also check for bad solder joints.

Don't give up on this deck so soon. Someone here should be able to give a hand troubleshooting it.

Did you download the SVC Manual for it from HiFi Engine? It is free & all that is needed is to sign up for a free account.

If you can post some clear pics of the motor power supply board top & bottom.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Serious Tapehead

I wasn't referring to the "power" switch. There is a pin that projects out from the front panel of the tape transport. That is known by a few names but "tape in switch" is one of the names. That pin is attached to an arm that actuates a switch which is located on the left side of the transport assembly as you look at the face. It's behind, but visible when you look at the left side. It's a black micro switch with two wires attached, don't recall the colors of the wires, but those switches do go bad but are totally repairable. Power off, follow my suggestion above to check continuity through the switch. Simple ohm meter which you have will do it.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Serious Tapehead

The switch that ignorant1 is telling you about is in the transport & senses/tells the deck that there is a cassette loaded into the transport. IF that switch is faulty/dirty it won't pass the current needed for the motor to run.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

The Pioneer decks have been known for years to have a trouble cassette in switch arrangement. The CTF1000 was known most of all. If you have one of these kinds of switches then you microswitch is probably defective. Check voltage going into it and then that coming out. It should be clear that the one does not equal the other. The unit does need a recap as Nakmandan did one not too long ago. You can start with the power supply. If you short across the microswitch then the power supply would be at fault if it does not work but then also the motor can have problems too. Oil the front bearing with AMS oil when it is sticking up and let it work in. It does wonders for old motors. the flywheel and capstan bearing should also be oiled with AMS. You got to pull the flywheel out to do it correctly. If WJOE does not tell you to oil the capstan bearing then their instructions are incomplete.

Hi Fi Engine might be free but many of their diagrams are crap and they should not even put then up being that bad. I don't bother with the bottom of the bucket scans and get my manuals from Stereomanuals in the banner below. They are not free but then they give you less eye strain and you will be able to fix the unit.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!

Last edited by Skywavebe; 07-19-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:22 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Pioneer CT-F750 micro switch

I just recently purchased a Pioneer CT-F750 that had a bad micro switch. If you put in a cassette, the motor would not run. I just jumped the switch with a small wire, and the motor worked just fine. The downside to jumping the switch is that when you power up the player the motor will start running immediately, and until you shut it off. The other option is to replace the micro switch (if you could find one) and be done with it.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I am sure an appropriate microswitch can be found at Mouser or DigiKey.
It might even be the same one used in the RT909 deck. New motors are going to harder to replace and calibrate than replacing that switch. Of course one step at a time. We are sure of the reel motor yet and Dan finds that they need to be replaced in unit he has worked on.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Sendust for brains

As a troubleshooting method, you can hardwire the connection and bypass the switch.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.