Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Other Tape

Other Tape Any analog format other than cassette or reel to reel; 8-track, Elcaset, microcassette, VHS, etc.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 03-27-2015, 07:39 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

New link since I moved blog hosts: http://billlabrie.com/healed-by-a-sambo-hot-dog/
Old 03-27-2015, 10:18 PM
TSA Thinks my walkman & cassettes are the bomb!

They had one of those Muzak machines in the office at my first job, an old specialty grocery store. Only the manager was allowed to change the cartridge.
Unfortunately, none of the managers ever seemed to care that we were listening to the same 6 hours of adult contemporary every shift, all week.

Every time I was cleaning the floors or talking to the management, I would try to see the cartridges, to at least read the titles that were printed on the label. To this day, some of those dumb songs are still stuck in my head and I have no clue what they are.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 AM
digital feinds beware

heh funny...I just saw a video on those....That would be preatty cool to have cuz i'd love to change up the tracks on the machine itself and make it play like dubstep or some cool latenite comedy....better yet the most annoying songs ever made
Old 05-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Stop! .. .. Carry On!

Techmoan has just done a video on the format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WQbJ0VFrFQ

Regards, Kelv

Probabably my biggest work based achievement

Last edited by Big Kelv; 05-14-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Sorting youtube link out.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:58 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Revere Tape Cartridge

I have a working Revere tape cartridge machine. Here is what a machine and player looks like:

The machine is a reel-to-reel machine. One reel is in the cartridge and the other reel is in the machine. The cartridge self-threads, starting with a wide, stiff leader that feeds in and registers with the take-up reel in the machine, then the leader drops to the width of the tape, and finally the tape begins to play. When the end is reached, the tape is rewound, back into the cartridge. The machine has an input stack, and an output stack. You can stack as many up as you wish, in the input stack. The mechanism is a real Rube Goldberg, but the idea is quite cool. Being early 60s, the electronics are strictly tubes. I especially like the cat eye amplitude indicators. My machine is different than the one above, but is is buried in my inventory stacks at the moment. I even have a few blank tapes for recording on my machine, still in the original bubble packs. I have several commercially recorded tapes, and they did do a good job producing them. They sound quite good.

Enjoy,
Rich P
Old 07-16-2017, 08:44 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

3M Cantata Repair here

In the late 1970's or early 1980's I used to repair these 3M Cantata's. They would be completely taken apart and all parts would be placed in an ultrasonic cleaner filled with denatured alcohol, then I would go outside for a cigarette or 2 and come back and inspect all parts and reassemble and lube these units. They have a unique mechanical timer so the unit would operate continously or switch off and on every 20 minutes if I remember correctly. They actually had a mechanical fade out/in pot. 1 7/8's was the speed and did not sound too bad when tuned up and was for commercial background music, for legal commercial business use. Federal copyright law can go after any business that plays music and these were lega as you paid for the rights to "broadcast" this music in you place of business.

Background music studies had shown that the tempo of the music, based on human heart rates, could directly affect shoppers at the subliminal level.

Quite the mechanical engineering.

Dennis
Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 AM
Analog nut!

Pure Sinewave, how reliable were these units? Did you see many come back for repair?
Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (Acts 4:12)

*Fuji, Memorex, TDK spoken here* Cass: JVC KD-V6, Nakamichi CR-1A, Technics RS-B57R; TT: Realistic Lab 290 w/ stock Shure cart; R2R: AKAI X-1800SD

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.