Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Other Tape

Other Tape Any analog format other than cassette or reel to reel; 8-track, Elcaset, microcassette, VHS, etc.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-14-2017, 04:43 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuke View Post
so far as i've seen to date, ELECTROHOME was a Canadian-exclusive label, and all their VCR models were MITSUBISHI OEMs, including their own variant of the HS-U80;

Thanks for that information about the OEM! I was able to find a Mitsubishi that looks VERY close to the Electrohome we had. Not the exact same VCR, but it does the job for this thread. Unlike the one in the photo though, ours was a 2 head, and it had manual tracking. (and looking back, I realize just how much auto tracking has spoiled me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Funai 21A-200. Year 2001.
Yes, i don't have a happy childhood.

OOH, newer Funai VCRs are notorious for being junk, although the quality of their older stuff is at least acceptable. In storage I have a mid '90s Funai branded as Citizen that's very similar, and for such a cheap unit, it's actually not that bad at all. It beats a lot of '00s and '10s VCRs! The calendar stops at 2002 though, which shows that the manufacturers didn't think it would last nearly this long haha... but for casual watching and taping, it does its job well enough.

Last edited by SKguy; 09-14-2017 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 AM
8-Trashed..........

The first one I remember was a basic late 80s front loading 2 head deck that was possibly Monkey Wards branded, all black with a VFD display and lighted symbols (FF REW REC etc) under the transport buttons that were underneath the cassette door. It may have been an AC/DC powered model.....

I looked for one on epay to get a pic but no luck.

/__\
Old 09-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Serious Tapehead

Unfortunately, there were no VCR's during my childhood. i did not see (or lay my hands on) my first VCR until 1977. that one was one of the first VHS models from Panasonic. a friend of mine worked at a state facility which had it & he let me "play" with it. i got my first VCR in 1987 which was branded Vector Research, which was really a rebranded N.E.C.
i currently have in my collection a 1980 RCA Selectavision that almost resembles that 1977 Panasonic
Old 09-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Serious Tapehead

Sony's first Betamax came out when I was 15. My first VCR was a Quasar front-loading VHS circa 1981. Silver panel with simulated wood grain cabinet. Taped a lot of David Letterman on it.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Serious Tapehead

This is the same model VCR my dad got on deployment. Even his shipmate got the same model. This is a screencap from the opening credits of The Goldbergs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VCR Shot.jpg (17.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

same model is seen in an office on John Carpenter's ealy-90's treatment of "The Invisible Man" model HR-7100U. JVC must have sold a TON of these in the day;

Old 09-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Serious Tapehead

My parents got a Ferguson 3V35 back in 1984. My dad finally decided to bite the bullet as VHS had soundly beaten Beta by then, so he felt it was reasonably future proof (having been burned a bit with photo film formats). Dad had been thinking about investing in some sort of video recorded since the late 70s, when one of my friends had a colour open reel VTR by JVC. We knew VCRs existed but also knew there was a format war....so dad insisted on waiting. However he also knew I was already a geek and trusted my advice, young as I was.

I was 11, and went with him to buy it. Essentially it was a birthday present for my mum, bought with the criteria that it must be a known brand, have IR remote, front loading and built well. I guess this was somewhere in the middle of the price range of the machines on offer...I know the salesman mentioned Hi-Fi stereo models a rung or two up and actually steered us away from Beta and V2000 (a decision we'd already taken). My school had a better Ferguson with the same form factor which had slow motion replay. I don't think LP existed then.

In reality it was a lovely machine, very reliable. My parents used it a lot and gave it to me in 1988 when I absolutely hammered it recording loads off the TV. I'd already started lugging it to a friend's house to copy rented tapes. Ended up replacing the head drum in 1989 as they were genuinely worn out and it soldiered on well into the late 1990s as a backup machine. As an idea of the quality of it's recordings, I still have some dating back to 1985 and can pull up teletext pages from the tapes. Not bad for a 2 head machine.

What I liked about the Ferguson was that the pause gave a perfect freeze frame on most recordings. It was a workhorse, closely based on a JVC machine and using JVC mechanism.

In 1987 I saved pocket money and fruit machine winnings for my own Solavox branded machine. I cannot find a photo of one...but it was pretty basic, no remote control and SP only. Once my parents decided to buy a Solavox themselves (higher up model with IR remote and LP) I was given the Ferguson....so at 15 I had two VCRs in my bedroom

Cannot find photos of the Solavox machines but here is the Ferguson. My other big memory is that my dad decided to buy himself a new receiver and cassette deck on the same day we bought the Ferguson....happy days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3V35.jpg (7.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by absinthe_boy; 09-15-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:54 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

My family backed the "wrong" horse ;)

Old 09-16-2017, 02:38 AM
Serious Tapehead

This was the best machine in the world to me in 1980! The Sony C7 was introduced in early 1980 and offered features that had never been seen before on home video recorders such as picture search, slow motion, and an end-of-tape alarm. It also had a fully functional and stylish IR remote control...

This was a heavy beast! The picture quality was spot on for the time.

The video head lasted for years and years, but for some reason it was the sound that usually died on these units.... I have owned three over the years (The last one many years ago) and they all suffered from muted or zero sound ..... I did use mine an awful lot back then!

I remember recording the first airing of Michael Jacksons 'Thriller' on the C7 in 1982....and watching it on a massive (then) 28" Sony Triniton TV.... Sony were definitely at the top of their game in those days!!

PC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony C-7 Betamax a.jpg (15.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Sony C-7 Beatmax.jpg (86.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-16-2017, 06:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

The Betamax C7!

My farther bought this one brand new when working at SONY Denmark.

For the day it was a VCR filled with many many features. I remember using the trick play, back and forth along with the variable slow motion and of course the X3 times scanning speed. I taped a lot of cartoons on it.

Who can forget the "Klonks" of a C7 when going into Play mode?

I got it in 1992, and only needed new belts, and new head disc installed. And all the Sanyo Caps needed replacement as well on the main servo board.
I also have the Betamax suit case having the tools to repair it to go with it.

I purchased the WEGA model Video 3 as well just to try it.

Last edited by Ebzen; 09-16-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Serious Tapehead

My dad backed S8 until the bitter end and only switched to video in 1991. At that point he bought a Panasonic NV-FS 90 S-VHS for important recordings and a basic Grundig VS-900 VPS on clearance for us kids to use (actually I was the only one at that time, no one needs a VCR at age 3). We used the Grundig to tape a good 100 or more E-240s of kids shows, mostly from German TV. Then it was retired because it lacked LP and replaced with a series of flimsier ones, I faintly remember a Siemens, a Funai and finally a Toshiba V208. Not quite sure which of those are still alive and kicking, the Toshiba definitely is. The Panasonic died of worn heads soon after we had a nasty accident with plaster/mortar dust - while we were away, some masons ground out a chimney that went through our living room and covered the whole room with a coat of abrasive dust, including both VCRs and most tapes - the tapes were in cardboard sleeves but on open shelves. We did acquire a new drum but haven't gotten around to having it installed. The replacement JVC S-VHS my dad bought has since died of old age.

At age 12 I found a broken Grundig V2000 and decided I needed a working one so I got an old Siemens (re-badged Grundig 2x4 Super). That was followed by another Siemens once it died (belts probably, easily fixed in hindsight) that stopped playing when it ate a previously damaged tape - I tried fixing that one but believe it has a tape tension issue - once I cleaned the heads properly I got a nice still image and reverse picture search but as soon as the tape moves forward I get all sorts of crap and I can see the tape fluttering between the drum and capstan.

I also owned a mid-80s Panasonic VHS for a while until the heads wore out. Then I switched to a portable Panasonic unit with external tuner that eventually broke, can't quite remember what happened but the die-cast chassis started to decay. Finally I switched to the Grundig until the famous Panasonic G mech failed one times too many - they seem to need fairly constant maintenance with new gears every so often.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.