Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Mini Disc

Mini Disc MiniDisc, equipment, and recordable media. It's here, man!

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 AM
MiniDisc Maniac

The MZ-N1 was the first MiniDisc Walkman to have the NetMD facility for transfering music straight from your PC via USB. I would advise downloading SonicStage Ultimate from the MiniDisc Community Forums (link below) and try recording your music to MD that way if you want to do it using your computer. If your computer is Windows 7 64 bit or newer then follow the instructions in the second link and use the 64 bit drivers to get it up and running correctly.

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/files/...imate-edition/

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/files/...win7-or-vista/
Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Just bought a second hand Sony EJ725. Should be better for me, as it means I can record in any part of the house. This will keep my wife happier than me spending hours in the spare room!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzington78 View Post
Just bought a second hand Sony EJ725. Should be better for me, as it means I can record in any part of the house. This will keep my wife happier than me spending hours in the spare room!
I believe such thing may have been a better choice
Old 09-12-2017, 09:56 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I may look for something like that in a couple of months. How much should I expect to spend on something like that?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:06 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Btw I love this forum. It's great to chat with other enthusiasts that don't think mp3 is all that.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 AM
TapeHead & Heart

Bear in mind that recording via SonicStage is not LP as you would think AFAIK. Ghitulescu will confirm I'm sure.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Serious Tapehead

I do not use SonicStage. The modi it supports depends entirely on the hardware, in particular LP2/LP4. And the restrictions would cancel anyway any advantages it may bring, this assuming one manages to get the software installed and his device recognized.
I am writing a CDRW with the music I want then let the JVC do the rest. Then reuse the CDRW, up to 1000 times (so far a few lives have been wasted )

But I have the JVC above, along with other MD-CD combos. It's really comfortable to copy MDs from CDs this way - it also saves the editing the titles/singers...
Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

The MZ-N10 is basically the same as the MZ-N1

You can get all the real lowdown on recording
by looking at an actual manual...

MZ-N10
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/25...page=22#manual

Personally, I would stay away from SonicStage
or any other ancient out-dated Windows Sony MD software
it will only bring you heartache and misery...
and using USB as a primary means of interfacement
will only bring more heartache and misery

Even wise minidisc veterans have been known to
pull out hair over SonicStage crashes and
mis-aligned song file info and partial transfers.
And who uses Windows anymore anyway?

At least the MZ-RH1 can interface (somewhat)
with Macs...and Macs are cool...but who has
$899 to drop on a used, untested RH-1 ??

A direct analog connection (using a cord) to a minidisc portable
is a perfectly fine way of interfacing and recording

Minidisc is not rocket science, you need to learn
to swing with it if you want to stay on the horse...

Giving up the quest for perfect minidisc digital sound
is the first step towards enlightenment

Minidisc is basically an audio toy...
fun is primary...good audio is secondary

Enjoy the format while you have the urge...
minidisc is a great way to experiment "on the go"

Last edited by Otto Reverse; 09-13-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:35 AM
MiniDisc Maniac

That version of SonicStage is actually very reliable, even on newer operating systems.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:55 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

A decent piece of audio software (or any software) should be considered reliable 100% of the time...a decent piece of software should only crash once in 200 days

From friends I know and reports I've read, SonicStage crashes every week or two

SonicStage was miserable when it was released in 2001 (16 years ago, a month before 9-11)
and who the heck wants to keep an old, annoying Windows desktop around in order to
fire up SonicStage again and again and again when it crashes?

I guess devoted minidisc users cling on to SonicStage, since it's always basically been the only software in town...people blame Sony and Apple and the iPod for the deep problems of MD and SonicStage...but then again, why do MD users stick with it, like SonicStage is some great thing? It's easily one of the biggest running jokes in the audio world and hurts rather than helps minidisc devotees

Whenever I want to remember what songs are on a mini disc, I grab a pencil and write them down on a piece of paper...in 2017 why do people still feel a horrific need to have their playlists, titles, song lengths and songwriter names in a tidy little SonicStage text file? And who makes minidisc playlists in 2017? It's weird!

It's just like record collectors who need just the correct thickness of plastic sleeves for their LPs...when I listen to a minidisc in my collection, I already pretty much know what's on it...but I guess there are different profound levels of minidisc listening

I'm an old school Mac guy and have all the Mac minidisc software and because the software is all 12-YEARS OLD none of it works (QHiMD Transfer, etc) - nowadays I just use VLC to grab Hi-MD files and convert them lossless with QuickTime or a million other apps on my Mac...SonicStage? Who needs SonicStage?

There are even a couple of free/pay sites online that allow converting of .OMA and other difficult files types into flac and aiff (do a search) - MD-friendly tools are everywhere

Besides, even my RH-1 or NH-1 sound no better than a good cassette deck...in fact my MZ-1 (technically the first MD) sounds better than any piece of audio gear I've owned...I would argue that minidisc units became worse as time went on (the design of the RH-1 simply makes no sense - and why did Sony think that people in 2005 still wanted to carry around MD remote controls? And what was with the idea of charging stands and the horror of 35-hour long Hi-MD discs?

But all that's beside the point...using a 16-year old piece of software to process track info from a 16-year old MD unit is my definition of desperate and obsessive...pen and paper work fine

Last edited by Otto Reverse; 09-13-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Too be honest i just want to have fun with minidisc. I am not bothered about storing track titles, artists etc. Want to recapture the sort of easy going fun I had with a walkman as a youth
Old 09-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Reverse View Post
A direct analog connection (using a cord) to a minidisc portable is a perfectly fine way of interfacing and recording
It's not a perfectly fine but only a fine... since these recording may be transferred up and down using optical/coax digital connections and a SCMS-stripper inbetween should this hinder the transfer.

Analogue audio transfers should be the last resort....... (even RIAA agrees thereto, so it must be indeed be the lowest quality possible )
Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Internet Pirate

Easy way to defeat SCMS: Rip "protected" CD into the computer, burn a CD-RW of said CD's resulting WAV files, copy CD-RW to minidisc. Or copy the resulting WAV files to minidisc.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:09 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:

"Analogue audio transfers should be the last resort"
-------------

From your statement, I must assume that you only listen to music via digital hardware through digital headphones or digital speakers in your digital house in your digital town in your digital universe - and also, I assume you never listen to music that is outside the digital realm

It's incredible to me that so many so-called "music lovers" still continually put down analog sources of music entertainment, as if a pure digital signal is the ultimate goal (only and always)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with analog...a person won't be harmed or injured if they hear a song emitted by an analog source...digital isn't perfect and searching for perfection is silly anyway

Some of the best music I own was recorded pre-digital, pre-1980s and produced on tape or cut direct into non-digital lacquer...this "digital is the only alternative" way of thinking is narrow-minded to say the least and ignorant at its worse

And what does the RIAA have anything to do with anything?

Good music transcends analog and digital...
it's 2017...let's just enjoy the music

Last edited by Otto Reverse; 09-13-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Serious Tapehead

Listening is one thing... but the topic is transfer/copy/dub...

And going down to analogue will cancel any advantage, actually the killer advantage, digital has over analogue... perfect copies forever...
Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

All audio formats will eventually become corrupted, either by the ravages of age or by Mother Nature or by accident

To believe that digital audio or digital audio copies will last forever is to believe in magical teddy bears and green creatures from Uranus
Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
All audio formats will eventually become corrupted, either by the ravages of age or by Mother Nature or by accident

To believe that digital audio or digital audio copies will last forever is to believe in magical teddy bears and green creatures from Uranus
or like hoping that your tax records by the IRS will eventually become corrupt, since they are stored digitally, and pay no taxes.... well, it will rather be discovered life on uranus that IRS not tax you
Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:

They can last a lifetime if not deleted, After one dies who cares.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I believe in reincarnation, which might complicate my digital audio situation...

Will my Bjork and U2 mp3s still be playable when I return to my corporeal body in 340,000 years?

It's hard to tell

Last edited by Otto Reverse; 09-14-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:15 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Well it arrived and I attached it to the discman to record. Got it working no problem. It sounded great. Only problem is the rechargeable battery is dead. I am going to use rechargeable aa battery from now on.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.