Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Everything else not covered above: Storage and display, odds and ends, etc. Subjects that really don't fit in other categories can go here, too.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Banned

late 1970s fake radio weekend rock festivals

I've floated this question on almost every music message board I've been on since 1999...

Does anyone (of the right age and height) recall how late 1970s rock radio stations would put on fake, all-weekend radio rock concerts?...the producers and engineers at radio stations (KMET and sometimes KLOS here in SoCal) would basically edit together countless commercial LIVE ALBUM CUTS intermingled with fake audience applause and giddy DJ commentary over a 48-hour broadcast weekend - and the station would promote these weekends as historic events, featuring all of the era's top groups...even though they were just pretend rock festivals, and the groups were just on vinyl

Excited station DJs would pretend to be witnessing the big historic festival and announce "here's Fleetwood Mac! and coming up next is Steve Miller! Followed by Ted Nugent, Boston and Aerosmith!!...and hey, here's The Beatles and oh boy, here come The Rolling Stones and Bob Welch and Foghat!!"

These fake radio festivals were broadcast a lot during summertime and somewhat attempted to capture the Woodstock vibe, but mostly succeeded in capturing the "party till you collapse" vibe of CAL JAM and CAL JAM II and Watkins Glen

There must be some genius (still alive) who came up with the fake festival idea...perhaps it was only a Southern California radio phenomenon, but I would give my left elbow to find someone who has some air checks of these strange radio festivals...in a way, they were more monumental than any real festival I ever attended...without the hangover and sun burn.

I've only encountered one other person who remembers these imaginary radio concerts

Last edited by Otto Reverse; 09-10-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:14 PM
self-proclaimed pro-tracker

The biggest and best remembered would probably have to be The Beatles at Fantasy Park "concert" that aired on (I believe) Memorial Day/July-4th weekend in 1975/1976. I have two 30 minute segments of The Beatles at Fantasy Park-II (1976) that were recorded off WYOO "U100" 101.3FM/980AM, a short-lived radio station here in Minneapolis/St.Paul. They don't sound that great, lots of hiss and a few cuts here and there.

PM me if you want a copy. I got them from a local DJ a few years ago.

I've been hoping to come across more complete better sounding recordings of Fantasy Park.

Last edited by nitroengine; 09-10-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:11 PM
The Morse Isn't Random

I don't recall in the UK although the BBC recently did a Frank Sinatra Fantasy concert.

In my youth I used to make mix tapes of the very kind you describe. I might try it again now that I have better equipment and a lot more source material to chose from.

Best regards, Kelv

POOGLE! is dead, long live POOGLE! (Abridged)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:51 AM
audiophool deluxe

I remember at least 2 broadcasts like that. One was on a Chicago station around '73 and again when I lived in Phoenix in the late '70's.

Dave
Old 09-11-2017, 11:16 AM
The Vinyl Frontier

I remember those FAKE concerts on KMET and KLOS!

Born and raised in So. Cal., I listened to both of those stations on a regular basis in the 70's.

My friend and I would record those FAKE concerts at his house on reel to reel tape. I haven't seen him in years, but I will contact him to see if by chance he may still have those tapes!

If he does, I will get a copy made and anyone that would be interested in a copy, I'll make them one.

It's funny you brought this up, I would go into Riverside, CA. to Gillettes records on a weekly basis and would discuss these concerts with old man Gillette himself.

Funny how time flies, Great memories!!

Thanks,
Steve
RTR- TC-880-2, GX-400D-SS, 747, 747dbx CASS Dragon, 1000ZXL, TC K7II, TC K8B (X2), TA-2066 TABLES - PX-2, PF1000 ELCASET - EL-5 (X2) and EL-7, MAG LOAD RCA 1YB-11 COND- Pro 7000 REC. SX-1980, QRX9001, QSD 1, HDVD PRE AMPS - CA-7x2 8-TRK - CR-80D-SS, GXR-82D, CR-81D, MDS -MDS JA555ES DCC - DD-92, DCC900 DAT - DTS-2000ES, DTC-700 VHS - VCR-953 LD - CLD-99 CD - DCD-1015, SACD - SCD 777ES SPKRS - B&W 800, SP5500 PHONES - HD-600, HD-800, Bose QC3, QH-44 REC CLNR Nitty Gritty Mini Pro-2
Old 09-11-2017, 11:31 PM
Banned

Wow, great replies and great directions to other links
(the Steve Hoffman post is mine, by the way...)

At least now I know I wasn't simply
imagining the fake mega-concert format

I don't recall Rod Serling being involved,
although at that time I didn't who
Serling even was...

So, it looks like there are
airchecks floating around
Old 09-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Banned

Wow...over on YouTube I found 2-hour's worth
of FANTASY PARK aircheck segments
From WNEW in July 1975

(Cat Stevens, Steely Dan and The Who)

They're fun to listen to!
It sounds like the original engineers
simply added slap-echo to the
artist recordings and placed
believable applause and
audience noises all over the mix.

In a way, Fantasy Park is like
a latter day "War of the Worlds"
or pretend radio show designed to fool listeners

The tapes and Rod Serling seem speedy
with some wow and flutter, but it's all good

FANTASY PARK - EXCERPT #1
https://youtu.be/z232FSScM3Q

FANTASY PARK - EXCERPT #2
https://youtu.be/I41cFVxvn7o

Last edited by Otto Reverse; 09-12-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:10 AM
Banned

Radio station WYSP QUAD FM 94 in Philadelphia
even printed up some Fantasy Park t-shirts...

Last edited by Otto Reverse; 09-12-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:25 AM
self-proclaimed pro-tracker

Here's one of the airchecks of Fantasy Park I have in my collection: The Beatles at Fantasy Park II - 1976 Unscoped Hopefully the link works for everyone, I have trouble with kiwi6 occasionally.

As heard on WYOO "U100" 101.3FM/980AM Minneapolis/St.Paul, Minn.

Last edited by nitroengine; 09-12-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Serious Tapehead

I have much of Fantasy Park, still missing a few bits,,, I also have some Sat-Com 1 tapes, drops in on concerts around the globe, all fake of course.
I have found and tried to contact the guy/s that did Fantasy Park, invited them here, no reply as expected. It was their feeble attempt to get the Beatles back together, but they did not take into account the Yoko Ono factor,,,,
Old 09-12-2017, 07:03 AM
Tolerated Vintage audio collector.

I too was born and raised in Socal, and remember those fake concerts.

I also remember KMET, it and KLOS were my favorites back then.

Funny thing is, I never realized they were fake until now, and had completely forgot about them until now.

Anyone remember KYMS in Orange county off of the 5?

I liked them also, until they went off of the air and became a Christian station. I have no idea what they are now, the tower is still there.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Banned

Musician Armand Schaubroeck released a crazed double LP in 1977 called "LIVE AT THE HOLIDAY INN" - Schaubroeck had obviously heard FANTASY PARK because the album is nothing but studio cuts drenched in loud fake applause and cheering

Schaubroeck runs the famous HOUSE OF GUITARS in NY
Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Banned

Weren't most classic rock LIVE albums and even most LIVE albums today heavily over-dubbed and filled-out with pretend applause and cheers? Oh well, that's fodder for another topic

Last edited by Otto Reverse; 09-12-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

On several live LPs (now tapes) I swear I can hear the same drunk yelling at the band. Climax Blues band FM Live is one, and more pronounced than others, I have often wondered if this was dubbed in,,,, but then why would they dub in some drunk yelling "this aint rock and roll"?
Old 09-16-2017, 09:24 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Schaubroeck had obviously heard FANTASY PARK because the album is nothing but studio cuts drenched in loud fake applause and cheering
Not sure about the Fantasy Park, but I can tell you these are not studio cuts with live sounds added. Well yeah live sounds were added but this record set is an actual live recording. Although all of these tracks did originally appear on the debut triple LP set " A Lot of People Would Like to See Armand Schaubroeck....DEAD". I've heard the story from the keyboard player that their sets were part of a 2 day event with different musicians and visual artists which Armand Schaubroeck Steals headlined both nights. This event was at the Holiday Inn (now a Radisson) on Main Street in Rochester, NY. I believe he said the tracks on "Live at the Holiday Inn" were taken from the second night. The crowd wasn't very big so applause was added on the records. Sadly enough the girl tap dancing through out their set in the Kill Me t-shirt isn't very audible on the records.

Last edited by Jimbob; 09-16-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Serious Tapehead

I remember in 1993 a rock station in Chicago did this (I think it was The Blaze, for those who remember) I worked at a pizza place and the cooks were all convinced it was real, they were playing the AC/DC Live in Donington album (which I had on CD and knew like the back of my hand) and I was telling them all it wasn't really happening. They didn't believe me even when I pointed out Brian Johnson mentioning Donington. IIRC they also played a live Aerosmith album, I can't recall the others.

I don't know if it was a throwback to those 70's days or if it was actually made to fool the listeners.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:20 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
They didn't believe me even when I pointed out Brian Johnson mentioning Donington.
That's hilarious.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:22 AM
Serious Tapehead

I remember two of those in the 70's in the NY area. I believe it was WPLJ that
did the broadcasts, but won't swear to it.

Ray

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.