Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-11-2017, 07:34 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Garrard SL95-B Tonearm Binding

The tonearm on my SL95B is binding, near the end of play (7" 45rpm or 12" 33.3rpm). It won't move toward the center of record. When I give it a little "persuasion" it will move closer to the center, allow record to finish, and properly trip the shutoff mechanism.

Also, the auto on/off feature doesn't work (lever on left of the three).

This unit was not used for about five years, as I recently bought a new cartridge (Shure M97). I tried lubricating and re greasing (after I removed old, dry grease). I was successful with the speed control knob (It was very stiff)- now works like new.

I have a new idler wheel (I bought it in person when Garrard was located on Long Island, NY). Should I change it?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:06 PM
Turn it up!

I would suggest that you first need to solve the tonearm binding problem. Closely examine the mechanism from underneath...ideally, when in operation...and try to determine where the binding is coming from.

It may well be that the tonearm wiring is catching on something, or has become stiff with age. Hopefully it is not the tonearm bearings themselves.

If I had to make a bet, I would say that the problem is dried grease in the return mechanism...probably the trip pawl (on underside of main gear and cam assembly). Unfortunately, I don't have experience with that particular model...but Garrards are especially notorious for the grease they used turning into a semi-solid.

You can find the service manual here, free:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/garrard/sl-75.shtml

That site also has a Garrard-specific forum.

Last edited by kcbluesman; 09-11-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Some of the gear, still no idea.

That sounds exactly the same symptoms I had on my SP25/4 and my AP76.

Any yes, KCB has hit the nail on the head - all of the grease in the mechanisms will have hardened. It'll need almost completely disassembling, cleaning and re-greasing (or oiling, I used hair clipper oil to good effect).

It's time consuming, but not necessary difficult. Just take photos as you go, so you know how things go back together. On the SP25 there is a part of the pawl mechanism (I think) where a steel pin goes through an alloy wheel - I ended up having to heat the wheel with a cook's blowtorch to enable it to slide out, as the metals had started to fuse together. But once apart and oiled, it was fine.

Last edited by fatboyslimfast; 09-12-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:03 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks, kc and fatboy. I figured it's a lubrication thing, as cleaning and greasing
the speed selector worked well (that was very easy compared to what it'll take to fix the rest).
Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Turn it up!

As fatboy said, just be sure to take pictures and take notes to help assure you can put it back together correctly. In some of these old tables, there is galvanic corrosion in addition to solidified grease. Heat is your friend in this case.

If dried grease on the trip pawl is the culprit (which is likely, given your specific problem with binding), you may be able to use a small, fairly stiff artist's brush and alcohol to gradually loosen and remove the old grease. But as fatboy said, by far the best approach is disassembly/clean/relubricate.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.