Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Service, Restorations, Helpful How-Tos, Parts and Manuals, Ads and More! > Tech Help and Service Locator

Tech Help and Service Locator Need to find a service expert near you? Check here. We have knowledgeable members all over the United States.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Lurker Extraordinaire

How does one become a factory authorized repair center

i'm looking into the possibility of opening a repair shop. it occurred to me that being an authorized repair facility for today's popular brands might bring me a little more business, so.......

just how does one become factory authorized?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Serious Tapehead

Lots and Lots & Lots-O-Training. As well as equipment.

And the requirements very depending on the company.

Some of the other techs here that were & maybe still are factory svc techs can tell you what kind of hoops they had to jump through to get certified/authorized to be a factory svc tech/shop.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:27 AM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

Repair what? Old audio gear is not supported by the makers and most off them have long gone out of business , most things new get replaced when faulty works out cheaper.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:28 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

The very first thing to do is get good at repairing decks with a very limited return rate. Since the equipment we work on is not made for many years and most companies like Yamaha, Sony and Panasonic do not support older equipment at all, there is no reason to chase after this status.
I have been working on decks for 45 years and I have no status of factory authorized yet I have 182 units here to work on. If you become good at your service the units will rain in believe me. The other part is customer interface. If you do not give a calling customer a little talk time then they have no reason to trust you. I talk to some clients for an hour- they always have many questions and some ideas that have to be straightened out. This will help establish rapport and get you that client. I have heard of customers from other guys areas call me and I ask them why they are not going to the well known guy near them- they give different guarded answers but it comes down to interface.
When at Teac Denny would have a customer he could not do anything with so he would send me out there to converse with the guy and I most of the time explained to him what his problems were and how that they could be overcome. I don't know maybe years in college or Police Academy work but I did it some how. You can not please everyone.

Like Dr. Frazier Crane says, Reason is the solution to conflict in a civilized society.

You are better to focus on the right test equipment, test tapes and gauges and then a good undertstanding on how to do things. After that a connection to a seasoned Technician when you have questions or need help. This is the method I use on my trainees.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:29 AM
Dream tape never ends

Step 1: relocate to Mainland China
Old 07-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_OX View Post
Repair what? Old audio gear is not supported by the makers and most off them have long gone out of business , most things new get replaced when faulty works out cheaper.
sad, but true.

if i focus on audio gear, this would include musical instrument amplifiers, PA equipment, etc., which is still manufactured and supported. so i'm thinking that to be certified for companies such as Gibson, Fender, Marshall, Crown, EAW, etc. might bring in some warranty repair business.

not sure what hi fi manufacturers are still producing, but there are a handful. isn't McIntosh still in business?
Old 07-29-2017, 11:28 PM
In loudness we trust

With reservation that rules etc are different in US than here in EU:

Many (...most...all?!) companies today are ruled by government rules. There are many things that should be fulfilled regarding RFI, chemicals, safety stuff etc etc and so on. All this should be handled within the quality system of the company in question within their documentation.

For many interests, you will need to contact a company, take a training at their place, do some tests, get your "license" that might have to be renewed in a few years. This so the company can say that all "their" repairs follow rules and are done equal. As authorized you basically work for this company.

When authorized, you should also be able to retrieve documentation from the company for the products you work on.

My advice is that you contact one of few of the companies you mention and simply ask what they require.

Generally getting "good" at repairs would of course be a very big plus!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Serious Tapehead

You do not want to be a factory authorized repair center:
1. 'Warranty repairs are at fixed labor, not hourly. They don't pay well.
2. Most new equipment is not meant to be troubleshooted to component level. If it's a HT receiver, they have lots of boards crammed inside and you need special adapter cables, different for each model, to be able to remove the boards and connect them outside of the unit. And you have to remove multiple boards to get to some of the circuits. Also documentation is horrible or non existent. Many manufacturers just rebadge equipment made in China and they have no documentation.
3. If you become Authorized you have to accept these units to repair, you can't turn them away.

"Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know."
Old 07-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Highly Biased

My company has been authorized for 35 years. You apply by contacting the field service manager. Typically there are forms which primarily concern credit history and the like. That being said, only a few companies still have nationwide service networks. Because you've asked the question on Tape heads, I assume you are interested in audio repairs? Yamaha is about the only company out there. Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer all concentrate on fewer than 10 service centers. Sony is depot service. JVC and Kenwood only make car stereo. Sharp makes some audio, but it ain't worth getting authorized. You can have fun with some of the pro companies. Fifteen years ago we did 40% of our business dollar volume in warranty repairs. Today the number is 3%. McIntosh is our major audio brand.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Lurker Extraordinaire

good points draudio.

nak, with factory repairs constituting such a small percentage of your repairs, where does the largest percentage come from?

Last edited by imasoundhound; 07-31-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Highly Biased

70% vintage audio. TV repair is dying, as has car stereo. My tv tech has just agreed to do console repairs again!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.