Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Serious Tapehead

Pr99 mkii iec 240vac

after months on the shelve, finally got started on my PR99 MKII IEC 7.5/15ips.
Now, this came from Australia, so is currently still set for 240VAC.
Is there anything, apart from changing the selector to 120VAC, that I need to check, since it is going from 50Hz to 60Hz.
Also, this deck has, what kind of looks like a tape guide block, see photo. It has a screened wire connected to it, but, the other end of this wire is not connected to anything. What does it do?

its the block to the right of the capstan shaft

WWW.TUBENIRVANA.NET
WWW.REVOX-R2R.COM
Old 01-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

I don't think it is for time code, but it may be. The TC equipped machines I have here look to be for the center track between left and right . Either that, or it may be part of a commercial radio setup for automation with relay play, to cue another machine, perhaps a cart unit or similar open reel. The fact that it is after the play head is probably because there was room to fit it in the tape path on the head block.

Those are my guesses, I'm sure one of the guys know for sure. I can't imagine it is to allow 4 track 1/4" tape playback..
Service, Repair and Restoration for Many Brands of Analog Audio Equipment.. Specializing in Open Reel machines and analog audio, including Teac/Tascam, Otari, Pioneer,..Marantz, McIntosh & more Including Turntable Set up and Repair
Hours: 12PM to 8PM Eastern time Monday-Friday drop of or pick up by appointment only. Email:...Tazdevl35@Hotmail.com Phone-Text Voice Mail 443-599-6053

Last edited by macman007; 01-08-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Serious Tapehead

if it is for cueing or similar, one would think it would have two wires coming out of it?
Also, the top of its body, the red part, is 'sprung', it moves a bit up and down as well as left and right.
WWW.TUBENIRVANA.NET
WWW.REVOX-R2R.COM
Old 01-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubenirvana View Post
Also, this deck has, what kind of looks like a tape guide block, see photo. It has a screened wire connected to it, but, the other end of this wire is not connected to anything. What does it do?
It looks like a full-track head.

Quote:
if it is for cueing or similar, one would think it would have two wires coming out of it?
Also, the top of its body, the red part, is 'sprung', it moves a bit up and down as well as left and right.
You're talking about the roller, he is talking about that extra head to the right of the capstan shaft. That roller you're referring to is actually in a fixed position so doesn't move up/down or left/right.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs148 View Post
It looks like a full-track head.

You're talking about the roller, he is talking about that extra head to the right of the capstan shaft. That roller you're referring to is actually in a fixed position so doesn't move up/down or left/right.
No, I am talking about the block/head whatever it is, the one with the red upper body, with WT107 printed on it. As I've mentioned before, it has one thick wire, which looks like a typical screen wire, however, the other end of it is not connected to anything.
WWW.TUBENIRVANA.NET
WWW.REVOX-R2R.COM
Old 01-09-2017, 04:10 AM
Serious Tapehead

That extra head is for the "dia synchro" option. It records and plays back tones, in a narrow track between the two audio tracks. these tones are decoded and used to synchronise one or several slide projectors or other 'devices' such as musical fountains.
It is a three-function head - erase, record, replay, so cannot record any signals other than a limited range of tones.

The head is either attached (by its single core co-ax cable)) to a DIN socket on the I/O panel, for an external tone decoder ("free head" option) or the machine would have an internal card in the slot between the oscillator card and the VU meters, for internal decoding.

The buttons to control the slide synch functions are to be found on the B77 wired-remote control, which was compatible with the PR99.

If you have a 'self synch' version of the PR99, there is no space for an internal dia sychro card, so it has to be the 'free head' version (exteral decoding card).

Last edited by steerpike; 01-09-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steerpike View Post
That extra head is for the "dia synchro" option. It records and plays back tones, in a narrow track between the two audio tracks. these tones are decoded and used to synchronise one or several slide projectors or other 'devices' such as musical fountains.
It is a three-function head - erase, record, replay, so cannot record any signals other than a limited range of tones.

The head is either attached (by its single core co-ax cable)) to a DIN socket on the I/O panel, for an external tone decoder ("free head" option) or the machine would have an internal card in the slot between the oscillator card and the VU meters, for internal decoding.

The buttons to control the slide synch functions are to be found on the B77 wired-remote control, which was compatible with the PR99.

If you have a 'self synch' version of the PR99, there is no space for an internal dia sychro card, so it has to be the 'free head' version (exteral decoding card).
OK, great, thank you!
In that case, I will remove it, as it will serve no purpose to me, and is one less 'obstacle' the tape has to run over!
This MKII will become my main tape deck, so will get royal treatment during its re build!
WWW.TUBENIRVANA.NET
WWW.REVOX-R2R.COM
Old 01-09-2017, 02:13 PM
Seriously Illogical

It must have seen quite heavy use. The heads appear to have developed a rather wide "mirror" and even the fast winding guards show a deep groove. These can be turned to expose a fresh face but the heads seem to be at the end of their life. At least the flat spot is symmetrical, so they can be used but probably with a decreased high frequency response already.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Serious Tapehead

well, I got this PR99 for NIX..ZERO...NOTHING...ZILCH...so I aint complaining!
I already have a 'new' set of heads for it, hardly worn.
Yes, it is quite 'dirty' on the inside, have already been cleaning it quite a bit, looking much better already!
WWW.TUBENIRVANA.NET
WWW.REVOX-R2R.COM
Old 01-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
well, I got this PR99 for NIX..ZERO...NOTHING...ZILCH...so I aint complaining!
I already have a 'new' set of heads for it, hardly worn.
Yes, it is quite 'dirty' on the inside, have already been cleaning it quite a bit, looking much better already!
Well hey, the price sure was right!

So you going to buy a recap kit from that tubenirvana guy???
Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Serious Tapehead

Location: Springfield MO Actually live next door to the Simpsons! But no Homer.
Hey, if you get a recap kit from that Tubenirvava guy, he`s really helpful
and understanding
Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Serious Tapehead

recap kit ey.....hhhmmmm...must try and get in touch with that guy!!
WWW.TUBENIRVANA.NET
WWW.REVOX-R2R.COM
Old 01-12-2017, 02:30 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Slide Synchroniser

Hi Everyone,

This brought back some great old memories - to synchronise audio with slide shows, the extra head was an option used professionally. I had a Revox B77 in for service a few years ago with the same sort of extra head. It had been used in a museum to provide slide shows from 2 Kodak Carousel slide projectors with the commentary and music coming off tape. This had been in almost constant daily use for years - the tape was still working great but the heads were almost worn away.

But going back to the 60s and 70s, for amateur slide enthusiasts, Philips made the N6400 which was in it's own box and was exactly the right height to stand alongside a number of domestic Philips decks. The head was on a vertical pillar and the tape was passed across this extra head before going onto the take up spool. My local photo club used one - reliability was not great! I have found a picture on line:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...iser-270779278

Regards

Andy
Old 01-12-2017, 09:55 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Dia head

" In that case, I will remove it, as it will serve no purpose to me, and is one less 'obstacle' the tape has to run over!"

I'd be interested in the head & fixing screws if you would like to sell it.

Regards
Old 01-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsberger View Post
" In that case, I will remove it, as it will serve no purpose to me, and is one less 'obstacle' the tape has to run over!"

I'd be interested in the head & fixing screws if you would like to sell it.

Regards
sent you a 'pm'
WWW.TUBENIRVANA.NET
WWW.REVOX-R2R.COM

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.