Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Reelspin Pioneer CT-91a belt change

Hi to all, I have come across this great forum whilst trying to find a step-by-step detailed method for changing the belts on my wonderful Pioneer CT-91a deck which I bought back in 1990, it is in need of a service including the troublesome tape selector unit, so does anybody know how to carry out this belt change, how to ensure that the door closing mechanism remains synchronized, and importantly where to purchase the belts from, I believe there are three belts, do these come as a kit.? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Serious Tapehead

I bought mine in Nov 2016 here:

http://www.wjoe.com/vintageandantiques.htm

Their kit comes with 8 color pages of instructions including illustrations.

My kit came with 3 belts, an idler tire and some ZIP ties as well.

I have not had a chance to install my belt kit yet as I have so many decks to work on so I'm not much for installation tips for this deck.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Sendust for brains

I've had very mixed results with the WJOE belts. Joe is a great guy, but I don't use the belts any more.

Dual capstan decks are fussy about belts. I'd get a set from Fred Marrs, below.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 01-09-2017, 04:37 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thank you for the quick reply, however the belt suppliers from the USA impose rather impossible postage charges, which make the repair too prohibitive, I have been able to source the belts from a European supplier, still expensive however, but I have no guidance for the step wise replacement, are you in anyway able to share your schematics with me. I know it is much to ask.!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Sendust for brains

The service manual won't help. Somewhere around here there are threads about this mechanism, you might use google (and not the board search function) to look for them.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 01-09-2017, 08:23 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thank you again, well I guess to bite the bullet, take lots of photos and use common sense. I am correct to assume that the cassette compartment open/close movement is controlled by one of the 3 belts, as on viewing the mechanism today the compartment opens promptly but it is reluctant to close, two of the belts are in excellent state evidently, the third I cannot locate.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Serious Tapehead

You will have to take out the whole mechanism unit for a proper belt service.
Change all belts and the idler!
The faceplate has to be removed, 4 of the 6 scews holding the mechanism are located behind the faceplate.

Take apart the last steel sheet from mechanism, so the flywheels are free, now you can change all belts, after cleaning all surfaces that are in contact with the belts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (348.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (320.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (272.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (310.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Serious Tapehead

You can get the SM here for free: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...er/ct-91.shtml
Old 01-10-2017, 12:32 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thank you that is extremely helpful, I will prepare all things required for the job study the set up and when ready will have a go at it.
One more question please, what does the idler do and why does it need replacing.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Serious Tapehead

The idler drives the reels for FF/REW and take up in play modus.
In most cases due the years it has no grip anymore.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:08 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thank you for explaining the function of the idler, in my case the Forward/back function appears to work as it should, does that mean that the idler is OK.? and is there a part no. for the idler.?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grivas View Post
as on viewing the mechanism today the compartment opens promptly but it is reluctant to close, two of the belts are in excellent state evidently, the third I cannot locate.
the door has an air-damper-piston mechanism with a setscrew for adjustment. in my experience, adjusting it can help some with a sticking door mech...
Old 01-11-2017, 10:39 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thank you, I did wonder about this feature although I was not exactly sure what it did exactly, just how does it work.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:47 AM

a white cylinder/black piston assy' on the left-hand side (deck facing you) you should be able to reach the adj. screw on it with a precision screwdriver without any disassembly beyond pulling the deck's top bonnet..
Old 01-11-2017, 11:40 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Once again thank you for the reply I will give it a go, and report back. I was wondering if you are familiar with the way the 3 separate belts are attached and how they are routed, as it is difficult to make sense of it without dismantling, any help much appreciated.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Serious Tapehead

Forget the damper, the bad servo belt is causing the door not closing in 99,99999% of all cases!

Last edited by SR2245; 01-11-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Serious Tapehead

Did you really had a look under the hood?

A = Servo Belt (Door, all Drive settings)
B = Capstan belt (driving the right capstan flywheel)
C = Inter Capstan belt (over both capstan flywheels)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (317.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:50 PM

guess the SERVO BELT must be beginning to give up on mine, since the DOOR CLOSE operation is often rather iffy...
Old 01-12-2017, 03:32 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thank you very much, this clarifies everything very well.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:06 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Hi again, a quick message to all those who helped me along the way to changing the belts on my Pioneer CT91a.
I went ahead and changed the belts observing great care, I carried out the op from behind the mechanism, nothing too difficult, take your time and ensure you note the timing mechanism for door etc, thank you all.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.