Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Studer B62 advice

Hi all.

I'm thinking of buying a Studer B62. I wondered if anyone here could give me any information on them, reliability etc. Also any other information on owning one.

The one I'm looking at hasn't got an outer case as it's in a trolley so could a case be made or maybe an original could be found?

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks
Jo

Last edited by Strange Brew; 01-07-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Serious Tapehead

Well, I have had one or two run across my bench.

They sound wonderful, but will most likely need a complete rebuild if it was not done. Worth the effort, though. Quite a tank of a machine.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I think the one I had here was a mess and needed modification to get the meters to read right- they would not calibrate.
It did have a lot of speeds and adjustments if this is the model I had here.
It is very old model and large to work on.

Sam Palermo, BSEE and ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Discover Cards!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:38 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Many thanks, chaps.

The one I'm looking at is being serviced and repaired so I'll ask if it needs anything else major.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:00 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I have two.

They are wonderful machines, with the same audio electronics as the Studer A80. It's true that they are old and will eventually need their electrolytic and tantalum capacitors exchanged.

While they may look a little intimidating to work on (heavy and somewhat cramped inside), simply follow the manual, and you will find that everything comes apart in a nice modular way, making it easy to work on. So easy, that the second time I took one apart I didn't need the manual.

You can easily build a case or console for it. The cases don't show up for sale often, and when they do it's mostly with a B62 in it. I have cases for mine, but only the lid for one of them.

Apart from caps failing from age, they are incredibly reliable. They were built for professional use in broadcast and recording, both studio and field. They are also simple machines with no IC's or EPROMS to fail upon you.

I recommend them wholeheartedly. The only thing that bothers a little is that the capstan motor is a little noisy. But a good case or console helps. Heat is no big issue, so you can add a bit of sound insulation.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:08 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Hi Ux.

Many thanks for your post.

That's very interesting. I've not heard of the motor being noisy before. Saying that, there isn't as much on the net about these machines in comparison to say the A807's or the A810's for example.

Is the motor loud enough to bother you a lot? Or is it just that little bit too loud?

Regards
Jo
Old 01-08-2017, 02:31 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

"Just that little bit too loud" describes it quite well I think. It also depends on how close to it you actually sit. I sit quite close to mine, so in the living room I prefer the A80. But that's a huge machine that most can't or won't have at home.

BTW - the later B62's had an improved capstan motor with sinter bearing top and bottom. This has got to be much more quiet than the earlier (such as mine) that have ball bearings at the bottom and sinter in the top.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:07 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Many thanks..

You are a lucky person to have an A80. It's my dream machine quite literally.

The B62 is in an A80 trolley as far as I know. I'm still awaiting some pictures.

Many thanks for the information regarding the motor. I'll ask which type it is.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

If it's in the big A80-sized trolley my guess would be that the noise is reduced. You can add door(s) to the front of the trolley, which would cut it down even more I think.

A B62 in perfect shape will sound very close to an A80. The difference is mainly how gently tape is handled and how it copes with lightly damaged tapes (cupped or wrinkled). Of course the heads are a little different too as are the wow&flutter specs. But with good tapes, the B62 performs very close to the A80 in my opinion!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Hi ux.

Many thanks. Well, the B62 has turned out to be an A62.

Do you or anyone else have any information on the A62 and how they fare with the B62?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 04:36 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

A62 is a somewhat different animal. I haven't actually seen one up close, but I did look through the manual and have read about it.

Mechanically it has a lot in common with the B62, but not enough to make either a donor machine for the other.

The A62 electronics are based on germanium transistors and you don't see many of the cards for sale. The fact that the audio section of B62 shares so much with the A80R makes for reasonable availability of spares.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.