Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Serious Tapehead

door issue on Nakamichi

hello

i have never see that
two Nakamichi deck have the same problem
Dragon and ZX7
the door don't open completly
forced finish with the hand !!!
completly cleaning and greasing

help , please help ;)
Old 01-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Serious Tapehead

Only see this issue if they aren't regular (daily) used.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Nakamichi Spoken Here

This typically happens when the platstic door guides reach the 120 degree change of direction in the aluminum slots. Typically a build up of old grease and plastic gum it up right there. But you said you cleaned and regreased. If it is actually stopping there, see if it works fine as long as you are holding down the eject lever. The slider that the eject lever actuates, is pulled from a slot in the arm that is attached to the spring. When you release the eject lever, that slider drags on the arm, and needs to be greased there as well.

Otherwise, it could be that the door guides have a groove worn in them, and need to be sanded smooth again.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Serious Tapehead

I've seen this problem twice, both ended up having the same root cause: the metal brace part of cassette case assembly, the one that sits below the holder and forms part of the hinge was bent out of shape. It does not take much force to do it. Both decks looked undamaged from the outside. One was a Dragon, another one was ZX-9 I believe.. Both times it required disassembly. Once the brace is removed from the cassette case assembly, you can lay it on a flat surface, and see the amount of deformation. I used hands to apply some twisting force in the opposite direction in small successive increments, laying it on the flat table after each try to make sure I did not go too far. Sure enough a couple of times I went too far and had to apply the twist in the opposite direction.
Your issue may be different, but the only two times I saw this problem, this was the root cause.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Alleged serious tapehead

I had the same problem on one of my dragons. Cleaned the old grease,applied new grease, no change. Took it apart again, cleaned the new grease off, applied new grease again. Still sticking. I ended up sanding and buffing the plastic nubbs that ride in the groove and that seemed to work. I had the opposite problem on another dragon where the door would spring open too fast, and had to reduce the spring pressure on that one.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Todays Tom Sawyer

Agree with everything said thus far. It's a combination of guide pins, the aluminum plates and grease. If you hold the eject button in while the door is opening it should definitely move all the way on its own. I have seen some plates shimmed on one side or the other to make it better but I don't know if this was factory or not.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Serious Tapehead

thanks for all your answers , i test this week-end
and tell you
Old 01-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Serious Tapehead

thanks Perry

i do this :

Otherwise, it could be that the door guides have a groove worn in them, and need to be sanded smooth again

Ok on ZX7 ; rest Dragon

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.