Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-07-2017, 01:10 AM
Infrasound Wizardry

I agree the pinch roller being gummed up is not difficult to fix, id suggest replacing belts while your in there as well. And lube up motors. That you tube video is helpful, plus theres lots of us here that have done this many times and can help if stuck. And taking pictures is very smart in case you have a brain fart putting it back together. Like these decks we are all getting older.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:51 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I found a good video a few weeks ago but I didn't save it. Looked last night and couldn't find it again.I pretty mechanically inclined and worked on all my vehicles all my life and if I take it a part I know I can get it back together. But let me ask you eddisc, is there anything associated with cleaning and re-lubing the pinch roller assembly that will have to be readjusted, calibrated, etc.? I may be thinking about one of Sam's postings regarding capstan assembly removal and having to readjust the pinch roller tension. Quick question, I was down on the bench earlier and noticed the A-4300SX doesn't have an ID plate or sticker on it. There are two holes below the power cord but know identifying info. Would this cause an issue with ordering parts, I know some show a serial number break and the # changes? Thanks again for all the comments.

David
Old 01-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Infrasound Wizardry

Im quite sure your thinking of him saying dont remove the solinoid, it has 3 screws holding it. Just take off the u-clip that holds the end piece on. So you dont have to adjust the tension. Hope that makes sense. I just looked for that you tube video as well, most are boring or dont seem right. Id still say if your fairly mechanical go for it, i did and was leary at first. But it worked out better then it was. But check in with others if in doubt, best to be prepared, i will say that you will breeze threw it second attempt.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:57 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I found a video and removed the pinch roller assy. cleaned the shaft the barrel, complete arm, lubed with Lubriplate 105. Broke both the tape lift arms loose about a quarter turn, put a good drop of oil on them and re-tightened. Looks like someone had been in there before because the dimple on the end of the capstan shaft was flush with the face of the flywheel. I loosened the set screws and moved it up to where the side of the dimple rolls over and meets the shaft. Sticks out about 1/64 of an inch. I cleaned the fiber pad on the capstan bracket and put a dab of Lubriplate 105 on it. Put if all back together and works like a champ as far as the transport is concerned. Someone has Jerry rigged the spring on the right tension are drum though. It's a two switch drum and has a notch a tab and another notch. The spring is all boogered up and just puled down in one of the notches. To me It looks like the spring eye should slide down over the center tab. I took a pic if I can ever figure out how to upload it. I think this should be the url. though. http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q665/AllCN1/IMG_1308_zps3ucypjlq.jpghttp://[/IMG]

Figured it out, see pic below.

Last edited by r2rgreenie; 01-09-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Infrasound Wizardry

That spring is deffinately stretched out, the eyelit of one end goes on that notch. Main thing is that it engages far enough around to activate the 2 microswitches. Im not sure who sells a replacement, someone here should know or maybe we could measure the spring and you can do the rest. So the capstan does not stick and snaps into place quick then. Next step would be oil the motor shafts if you havent already. Nice work dude.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:41 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Yeah I've oiled everything. I picked up a can of DeoxIt today and shoot the switches and controls tomorrow if I get a chance.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:59 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I've been so involved with the inside of the 4300 I didn't notice until last night the right tension arm is home made out of a piece of flat aluminum and I don't know where they got the tape guide. Luckily I found a seller on Ebay who had the complete RH tension arm assembly, so that covered the spring I was needing too. I had some Ebay bucks so I got it for $18.00 and some change. I read last night that these A-4300SX decks have the High Density Ferrite Heads. What is your opinion on them? I read where they weren't any good, they don't make them anymore, they don't last long, etc. I read back over my replies and I want to apologize for all the typos. That's my chemo brain acting up.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by earczar View Post
Im quite sure your thinking of him saying dont remove the solinoid, it has 3 screws holding it. Just take off the u-clip that holds the end piece on. So you dont have to adjust the tension. Hope that makes sense.
Correct!! Thanks, earczar

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.