Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Teac 3300-10

I recently purchased a Teac 3300-10 and was wondering if there's a website(s) that may provide basic disassemble/assemble instructions, pot cleaning, lubrication, etc. Just a basic inspection showed both Fwd/Rev motors work, the capstan motor works but I have ordered a capstan belt from Teac before testing play and record functions. Both right and left arms move freely as well as pinch roller engagement and return. I'd like to take the front cover off to clean it up some but I don't know if the counter and tape speed controls have to be remove from the rear or if just the tape speed knob and the face plates stay on the front cover? I started taking the right tension arm apart to remove the front cover but it looks like the switch activation drum has a set screw in it so I aborted this attempt. This is my first R2R and I've always been the type to learn as much as I can about my equipment as far as maintenance, minor repair, disassemble and reassemble is concerned. I know that any adjustments need be left to the professional techs though. I'm in the Chattanooga,TN area and if anyone could suggest a good Teac tech in this area it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to be so long winded and I hope I didn't wear out my welcome. Thanks in advance for and help or information provided.

David
Old 12-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Serious Tapehead

Why don't you just test it first to see how it works and get back. Do you have some tape and reels?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Infrasound Wizardry

Im assuming you dont have a service manual. Get one asap. Im wondering why you have not cleaned the heads and checked it out? Maybe its not so bad. The belt change would be good most likely. Stereomanuals at the bottom of the page gives you a link to a quality manual if you dont have one.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Serious Tapehead

Join 4 free - no spam... HIFIEngine.com download... https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...c/a-3300.shtml

From ALL the A series I've worked on - you do not want to remove face plate !!
Tho I've not done any 3300's -YMMV -Welcome aboard & check out U-Tube for videos.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:22 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Yes I have a box of 5" and 7" tape and reels. I was just planning ahead. When I get the capstan belt and installed then I'll test drive it.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:27 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I've also joined HiFi Engine and have the user and service manuals. They help me find the lube ports for the motors and get some part numbers. If you may know of a source for a counter belt Teac #50279980 I'd appreciate it. I called Teac and they said it had been discontinued for a while. I purchased one off Ebay but it was about 2" too short.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:31 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I've cleaned the heads but they still look worn but they may last another couple years. I ordered a capstan belt from Teac, it should be here tomorrow, but during the wait I've been cleaning, lubing, looking at the service and user manuals. After I get the belt on I'll do a follow up. Thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Serious Tapehead

Scroll down to sponsor MARRS COMM at the bottom.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:02 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Decks of that age are usually in need of a pretty busy restoration. Neglecting any of these parts can result in torn up tapes or just bad performance. Most people will not even know this unless they are a Technician and in that case they will already have address all the issues.

Motor oiling, not just three drops of 3 in 1 to the tubes, new brake pads, capstan bearing oiling with flywheel out, recondition of the capstan shaft, new counter belt, taking the counter out and lubrication of that as well- it has rotating parts and so on.

Sam Palermo, BSEE and ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:11 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks Sam, you opinion means a lot. I got the new capstan belt in today and installed it, cleaned the retaining plate and motor ball and re-greased. Like I say this is my first deck and it is a work in progress, and I've got a question. I test drove the deck with some old pre-recorded tapes I got at a thrift store. These are personal records not factory, and it played alright for a couple of minutes then the left audio went out and it was just the right. I fast forward it a few minutes and played again and both L&R were playing. I don't know if it was just the tape or what. I'm still a little confused about the whole 2 track 4 track deal and though it my be because of how the tape was recorded. The unit played good other than what was mentioned above, fast forward and reverse worked good, I rewound the tape and unit shut off when tape left the right tension arm, meters worked. Both motors had a good quick stop when transport was canceled and the brake pads look good and are not coming off. There's a couple of things I noticed while I was inside which gave me the notion that someone had already had some work done to the deck.I was real impressed considering it's age. Now to my question, does the capstan shaft suppose to turn all the time? I powered the unit up after threading the tape and the capstan shaft starting turning. It turned when the rocker shaft was in PLAY, PAUSE, and FAST. The only time it quit turning was when I would turn the unit off or rewind the tape and the right tension arm dropped. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Infrasound Wizardry

Cross Fingers

That right tension arm engages the capstan motor, so that is correct. If you want to keep the tape on the reels then disable it or hit off. As far as the prerecorded tape i would not trust it since who knows who recorded it and how. Ill give you this tip send it to Sam, save up or whatever because it probably needs calibration and ? That is if your in the USA. Repairing these Decks gets expensive but I wont fault you for trying.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:42 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if a micro switch might be stuck causing the shaft to turn when tape is thread but I guess it would be better than the capstan motor having to start and stop all the time. I bought another deck, Teac A-4300SX, and it was shipped out today. I'll probably compare the two, sell one and have the other gone through. I like the 10.5" reel feature on the 3300-10 but I've read the A-4300SX is a good deck too. Any opinions? I had the same theory on the pre-recorded tapes, I've got some Ampex 631 blank tapes I got that was in the lot I got from the thrift store. I'll try and do some recording tomorrow. My main goal is to record a lot of my vinyl onto tape to just sit back and relax. That's one reason I like the 10.5" reel unit but the 4300SX has auto reverse, time will tell. The way I figure it neither deck is eating anything so there's no hurry. I don't think there's a site I've been on that didn't mention Sam or see his postings, but I live in Chattanooga,TN and I don't know what S&H there and back put his cost would be.There's a place here in Chattanooga, College HiFi, they say they have worked on them but I get the impression it's just an occasional thing. Thanks
Old 12-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

If you are going to have it fixed in TN take it to Tom at Hi Tech which is in Nashville. He is Nakdoc here. If you want it done otherwise Russ at New Jersey Factory Service may not be too busy. I have a pile of units to get out and two more showed up today. I am now taking a small brake while I switch from a Sony to a Teac.

Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks Sam.
Yeah I taled with Tom in Nashville and he's the one that told be about College HiFI here in Chattanooga. When I called them they said " yeah we've worked on some of those before" than wasn't too reassuring to me. Tom is about 130 miles away and I can probably drive it there cheaper than shipping. Thanks again and have a safe and Happy New Year.

David
Old 12-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

The A4300SX is a newer machine than the A3300-10 but it has the limitations of 7" reels while the A3300 series can make use of 7' and 10.5" reels.
If the heads are good in the A4300SX that would give you the most bang for the buck as the machine has both directions or is called auto reverse.
It only records in forward but then when you are done with the tape you do not have to turn it over all the time. It uses foil on the tape at the end of side 1 to reverse and the counter 9999 to at the end of side 2.
If the 3300-10 is fitted with 1/2 track heads then it is not suitable for 1/4 track tape at all and probably has the larger capstan shaft being a 7.5 IPS and 15 IPS machine.
Both machines can be restored with enough time and then you would have one of each format if this was your desire or wish. Many of us here have many machines. I have one client that has about 35 of them. They are all working condition.

You have a wonderful new year as well as it seems to be upon us soon.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:00 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I'll just have to wait for the 4300SX to get here and see how it does. I recorded on the 3300-10 today but the left track had issues. I switched the record L switch on and then back on and it seemed to work them. That's all I've done today, being lazy. I thing the 3300-10 is a 1/4 track this is based on the notches in the tension arms. To me the heads don't look that good but I really don't know what I'm looking for. I'll try and figure out how to upload a pic of them. I've replaced the capstan belt with one purchased from Teac. The counter belts have been discontinued would you have one for purchase or recommend a vendor? I looked at Marrs and they have both belts as a set, are they good quality belts? Thanks again and have a safe New year, get some rest.

David

Last edited by r2rgreenie; 12-30-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Well the A-4300SX came today and what I was hoping was the issue was indeed what I assumed. The seller said he purchased at an estate sale and the meters would light up but no other functions would work. The first thing I thought of and hoped was he was not lifting the right tension arm. I raised the arm and checked, all transport functions work. This looks like a cleaner machine than my 3300-10 so I'll check it out the inside tomorrow. Had a water leak that needed to get fixed. My next decision will be which unit I'm going to sell to fund having the one I keep gone through. Like they say the only thing that stays constant is change. Still need to post a pic of the 3300-10 heads. They look to be worn unevenly to me, but to be honest I don't have a clue.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Infrasound Wizardry

Like Sam mentioned keep the 4300 if the heads are good. Sell the other for repair work.
Also nice work on realising the sellers lack of operation, sounds like you got a good deal
Old 01-06-2017, 02:35 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I checked the 4300 out today and all the transport functions worked, I have a commercial tape of Tom T Hall instrumental, sound great. That was with headphones though, didn't feel like lugging it all the way to the bonus room to connect to an amp. I have a mic and test recorded to both channels, the playback was a little distorted and volume was low. The heads look great even before I cleaned them The only issue which from what I've read is common is I have to help the pinch roller engage. I guess that's an old grease issue. I'm torn between trying to clean and lube the pinch roller arms myself or just let them do it when I get it serviced. I like leaning new skills but not at the cost of screwing something up.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2rgreenie View Post
I checked the 4300 out today and all the transport functions worked, I have a commercial tape of Tom T Hall instrumental, sound great. That was with headphones though, didn't feel like lugging it all the way to the bonus room to connect to an amp. I have a mic and test recorded to both channels, the playback was a little distorted and volume was low. The heads look great even before I cleaned them The only issue which from what I've read is common is I have to help the pinch roller engage. I guess that's an old grease issue. I'm torn between trying to clean and lube the pinch roller arms myself or just let them do it when I get it serviced. I like leaning new skills but not at the cost of screwing something up.
"Just DO IT" There are a few reel good vids on U tube (a couple of so-so!!).
Check them out - GO SLOW & learn how it's done. Take pix if in doubt. NO short cuts tho... make it run for another 40 yrs. I hadn't done any until I did my first one... Rebuilt a few B18 B20/21 motors but no RtR...

!!!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.