Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Non Audio Discussions > The Lounge

The Lounge The place to cool your heels and engage in small talk about whatever suits your interest. No politics or religion, please.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-17-2016, 09:37 AM
Live Long and Prosper..

Arrow Ice Storm & the horrific pile-up on I-95 south of the Baltimore Ft. McHenry Tunnel

Any one been following this. ? Go on over to YouTube and watch the videos shot before dawn on I-95 below the tunnel. The one shot by a guy from the Islands or Jamaica is chilling.. I'll try to post the link..A few moments in to it, a tractor trailer full of fuel goes over the elevated bridges between both directions drops down to what looks like 100 feet or more above into the backwater of the Patapsico River leading to the Chesapeake Bay, or in to the factorys, houses, even warehouses underneath, and then EXPLODES into a fiery Hell! If the fall or impact didn't kill it's occupants, the inferno from thousands of gallons of fuel did. More and more cars and trucks kept on speeding around the gradual turn and down the slight slope towards the tunnel entrances, and into the mess at 55 MPH and higher speeds. They didn't realize the elevated portion had flash-frozen over and was building up with sleet and freezing rain. There was no warnings on the radio, or over the electronic signs spanning I-95 in both directions. At one point, moments after the first big explosion, another tractor trailer crashes full speed into appears to be the hundreds of stopped, disabled, or wrecked cars, trucks, and occupants in the road. I don't know how many are hurt and killed, but I'll bet the number is up there...

My future son-in-law and I were heading down to the shop in Baltimore to work on my Corvette really early, when the pre-dawn ice storm that is still here hit us. Cars were off the roads between here in Hanover and where we turned around in Maryland ,wrecks and disabled's all over. This is the worst ice I have ever seen maybe ever.., MD drivers are known to not be able to drive in bad weather the first showflake or raindrop falls and they loose it in a rush for milk bread and toilet paper from the stores.

PA drivers are much better, however I don't care who you are or how you drive, Ice is Ice and it forgives no one. We turned around and came back at the halfway point of a trip that on normal roads takes an hour and fifteen minutes. Three hours in, and not quite half-way, we knew better than to continue to press our luck any further.

I have the winter tires on my Durango (which we were in not the Honda, which is useless in winter weather).., BF Goodrich All Terrain Off Roads on all 4 corners, the rears are studded for snow and ice as PA allows it. I change out the rear tires every fall and spring regardless and have for years even living in MD, with another pair of studded the same BFG 32-11.50-15's that really do help you if your not crazy. Steering and stopping can be a bitch on road crowns especially as mass and gravity take over even on the straightest patch of road, never mind hills. You need to let the gears, studs and engine compression do the stopping for you as touching the brake pedal or too much throttle sends you careening in any given direction with no warning. With a 3:55 Sure Grip in rear differential, an ARB air locker in front moving all 5300 pounds, going is not a problem even on ice, stopping or steering is your enemy. Use of the gears, throttle and engine compression, not the brakes...is the only way to approach the conditions.

This storm hit us so fast and changed with deadly speed and exceptionally sharp dip in temps and the precipitation, which was supposed to be./ started out as modest rainfall, and up to 3 inches of snow from the Washington, DC corridor up above us thru middle PA and east to Delaware/New Jersey/ Southern New York. A look out the window and you see roads still ice and hail covered, as well as trees, sidewalks, cars, homes,power lines, everything. Even the big state and local plow and salt/ash/cinder trucks are having a tough time of it, especially on the ice covered steep road beside our home. Many have chains on the dual rear and tandem axles/wheels.

We made it half way down in 2 hours then turned around. things are pretty much at a standstill outside my window, and even the trains that pass in front on the house stopped late sometime Friday night.

Since then no trains and very few cars are out. I can see Hanover Pike from here, it's almost deserted compared to a normal holiday time weekend, especially Saturday.

Though it sounds cheesy to some we need to pray for the victims who were hurt and killed this AM, as some were maybe traveling to visit with family over the holiday, or on their way to be with friends and loved ones...

What a way to ramp up to the holidays...

The YouTube video link is posted below as well as another. This story has gone viral and is on many local and national news outlets, at 38 odd seconds you see the tanker speed by slide and go over then explode. There are more and more vehicles as it plays thru. I didnt soot it sorry for the quality.

There are others posted on facebook as well as videos taken over the last 10 hours or so up to the current time with videp and photos in the daylight as well. This was around 4 AM.

Last edited by macman007; 12-17-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Serious Tapehead

Phil,

You might want to link the video as I found a shitty video of the tanker speeding and going over the side in a fiery crash and this shit kept saying Yo and used music to underbed the video and it's shaky and just bad all around.

Is there a better video you are referring to? If so, it's not coming up in the suggested/related videos on the right side.

Thanks.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 12-17-2016, 10:48 AM
Live Long and Prosper..

The one I am referring to is a Jamaican sounding black guy (guy of color, how ever you are supposed to say it these days) he may have said YO a bunch of times, it was clear but dark out on my smart phone on the ride home, doesn't mean it's clear on a bigger screen.. I'll do what I can to link it.., the one I saw was a Facebook posting not YouTube, and the news is now saying it was 55 or more vehicles, before it was over 200, my bad..sorry guys..

try this it's not great, and the local media outlets have the guy that filmed it on the news. It is getting national exposure as well. I think It was posted first on You Tube I saw it when I got home, the wife had it on this morning..this was the earliest post, I'm sure there is more and better video made as and after the sun came up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lba_yQHzZCo

:at 40 seconds you see the tanker go over and explode..

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/condit...ported/8499009

If you search there are dozens of sites that come up on a Google search, many with this video and other/ newer video as well.

Last edited by macman007; 12-17-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Serious Tapehead

OK, thanks Phil,

That was indeed the clip I saw then.

Wow. indeed a huge mess nonetheless and glad you are safe and sound back home.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 12-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Burning Tape

This bad weather, do not drive event has been forecast for a week. That doesn't seem fast in my book. Maybe our belief that the forecasts are always wrong gives folks the idea that 'it won't happen to me' but the weather still comes in and lays down the crap from the skies this time of year. Especially after a couple of below 20F days/nights. Gonna make stuff cold and when rain, sleet, snow hit those cold surfaces, bam a frozen road needing those studded tires to go.

My neighbor's driveway is already melted as his is slope to face a low in the sky sun for the winter months. Mine is flat and still a sheet of ice. I will use old, tired, banned at all courses, real, steel golf spikes to walk to the mailbox. Hopefully the go, turning and braking will all work. I don't have an internal combustion engine to use for engine braking, though.

That was a mess at the tunnel. 2 died, one 13-yr old succumbed to his injuries. Sad. Wish folks had the sense, time, ability to just stay away from the roads when they are nearly impassible.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:27 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

RE:Ice Storm & the horrific pile-up on I-95 south of the Baltimore Ft. McHenry Tunnel

it's bad enough to try to get thru the Baltimore/Washington metro area via I-95 on a good day,let trying to pass thru in a full-out ice storm.Between the salt-brine/chlorides on the road eating your car and other idiots STILL wanting to drive 75mph on ice,I just stay home on a day like that.The state of MD has made tremendous improvements to the I-95 corridor in the state to improve the traffic flow,but the volume has far outmatched the improvements.The only time I try to get thru the mess of that area is 3 or 4am..then it's moving pretty good.

Last edited by bunkclimber; 12-23-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Burning Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
it's bad enough to try to get thru the Baltimore/Washington metro area via I-95 on a good day. The only time I try to get thru the mess of that area is 3 or 4am..then it's moving pretty good.
Long gone are those summer nights when folks raced around the beltway. The muscle car era, much less traffic after rush hour and at night back then.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Wild West user

That kind of ice storm is dangerous. Black ice that forms on the roadway from car exhaust is worse. The traction coefficient for tires drops to as low less than 1 percent. The layer of ice is only molecules thick and looks just like the normal road till you start sliding. Your tires do not have enough traction to keep turning. A person can not walk on it. Even studs don't help much for there is no 1/4" or thicker layer of ice for the studs to bite into. My first experience with this was 43 years ago in far southwestern Kansas near where I grew up. not as many cars and trucks pile up due to less traffic out there.

X-1000R, X-7R disassembled, RS-1506, Kenwood KX-W4060 cassette, linear tracking turntable & 2 Klipsch KLF-10's. Into audio and R2R for 54 years since I was 11 & built my first circuit

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.