Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Non Audio Discussions > The Lounge

The Lounge The place to cool your heels and engage in small talk about whatever suits your interest. No politics or religion, please.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-06-2016, 05:41 AM
Serious Tapehead

Snow Day

Last week, we had a blizzard that shut everything down on Wednesday, so it was a snow day for my daughter and myself. Unfortunately, my wife still had to go to work, so we gave her a ride to her office in the Jeep.

Last night, we got another blizzard, and today everything is shut down including my wife's office. So today is a full on, real, official snow day.

Plan on doing a whole load of nothing. Coffee is brewing, and some tunes are cuing up.

J
Old 12-06-2016, 07:02 AM
Serious Tapehead

No snow....

Good luck, stay safe and warm.

No snow here today, sun is bright, forecast high is in the seventies.

BTW, location is ten miles north of the Rio Grande.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Serious Tapehead

Here in Tulsa we are expecting a "dusting" this week, just enuf to turn the yard white for a while. I wont get that much, just the cold.
Now all y'all remember, I have forecast more snowfall for those areas that normally get snow! Have the sleds and snow boards (other toys) handy, the 4x4s fueled up, the coats handy. Oh and dont forget your favorite (hot) drink/s,,,
Old 12-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Serious Tapehead

We're under some gray skies and there's rumors of snow.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Serious Tapehead

Here in Northcentral ND, we only got 5 inches overnight, but they were preceded by rain and accompanied by 38 mph winds gusting to 50+.

This was enough to fill back in everything that was ploughed out last week, so now there are many areas where the streets are totally blocked by deep snow.

The windchills are running around -15 degrees. And visibility is near zero in many areas. We have had around 4 years of mild winters, so we are due this year for something more harsh.

J
Old 12-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Live Long and Prosper..

It started out cold and dark grey. Around new the humidity spiked and the barometer dipped a bit, now we have a raw and drizzle is coating everything.

It's cold enough to see breath, a sharp temperature drop of 10* and we'd see snowfall here in Hanover. Last night/early yesterday AM was freezing rain. I love winter, especially blizzards and deep heavy snowfalls. It gives mommy and I a reason to go 4 wheeling without all mud and dirt to clean off. Show melts...currently it's 38* F., a ten degrees drop would give us maybe 6 inches to start off. Were hoping for a white Christmas here anyway, not just rain again and/or clouds, no better time to start snowing then now.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Banned

Yesterday it started snowing about 0900 then it really picked up and dumped quite heavily about an hour later. It was all gone by about noon then rained the rest of the day. Getting to work was interesting.

Right now, sunny and clear. Not a snowflake anywhere in sight.

Quote:
The windchills are running around -15 degrees. And visibility is near zero in many areas. We have had around 4 years of mild winters, so we are due this year for something more harsh.
Probably the next couple of years. We're in the low point of the el niño cycle. Last winter here in the northwest was incredibly mild (can you imagine 50+ degree days at the end of December?) It'll probably be nasty by this time a year from now, and for quite a way into 2018.

2015 was awesome, for all intents and purposes summer began in late February and finally ended sometime just after Halloween. Of course all the doom-and-gloom, global-warming evangelist Portlanders kvetched to high heaven about it. Even a few months of good weather (for a change) can't satisfy them.

Last edited by WolverineBates; 12-06-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:23 AM
Serious Tapehead

The weather folks keep telling us we will get snow this weekend (ok just a dusting, about 1/2")! Now it's not out of the question to get snow this early, but we usually get "black ice" or freezing rain and not snow. Either way it is going to be cold, around 5* (F), and they keep on edging this down. Just a few hours ago they were saying 8*. (18* for a high Sunday) I dont like the cold (did when I was younger), I dont function well in the cold anymore,,,, a white Christmas would be nice though.
We did have a front move through and drop some of that freezing rain, just a lite glazing in a small area, with numerous crashes. Seems when this first starts each year, many crash their vehicles!
I suppose I should gas up the gen-set just in case the power drops out. Right after I fix whatever broke in the plumbing last night,,,,
Snow, here, really,,, I want my global warming back!
Old 12-17-2016, 05:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

It is currently clear and -21 degrees F right now. Wind chills are around -50 degrees. Wind chill advisory in effect. Recommended that no one goes outside or travels.

Put a bag of trash out earlier. Feels brisk.

J
Old 12-17-2016, 06:41 AM
Serious Tapehead

Burrrrrrrrt, I wish you would keep your chilled air up there. 53* when I got up 37* last time I checked, headed for 8*. And the California rain (lite mist) is steady now, changing to snow as the temp falls. Not what you are having but bad enuf,, oh and the "snow" is forecast up to an inch now,,,, we have it so bad
We did hit -22* a few years ago, for about 3 minutes,,,, with 24" of snow,,, fun day in the 4X4.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:43 AM
Serious Tapehead

Its currently +24 here in the river valley. Got a light dusting of snow last night but expecting 3" to 5" later today. -7 to -10 below forecast for to night with wind chills predicted to be around -35 below with blizzard conditions. High for Sunday -7. Last year this time, temps were around 60 for day time highs.
Sony Receivers, GX9ES, GX10ES
Old 12-17-2016, 06:54 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Snow day

First measurable snow of the year here in southcoast Ma. 1-3 inches. probably turn to rain and be gone by sunset
Old 12-17-2016, 07:47 AM
Serious Tapehead

Dusting here and ice coating 20 miles to the west.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 AM
Serious Tapehead

life in the RGV update....

Bright sun, lots of wind from the SE, high humidity, with a forecast high of 85f.

A front tomorrow brings an overcast sky, lots of wind from the other direction(NW), with a high of 55f.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Site Supporter

Was passing through Fargo when they broke a record.
First time I felt -35.
And that was without the wind chill.
Too cold for me.

The two loudest sounds in the world are a "CLICK" when you expect a "BANG" and a "BANG when you expect a "CLICK"
Old 12-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Serious Tapehead

It's been cold here, highs generally in the mid to upper 30's and on December 8th, we had maybe 2 inches in places in Tacoma that evening and by morning, the roads were bare and wet, and my commute into Seattle for an interview was very good, and made excellent time in, which is not usually the case, even when the weather is simply dry, but dark (leave the house at 5:45AM, just to get to work by 7:30AM and my commute is normally an hour and 15 minutes, roughly outside of rush hour).

Some areas did get a brief dusting the other night, but was quickly gone and awoke this morning to the low of 22*F, which is cold for this area. The entire Puget Sound gets very challenged when we get any significant snow due to the hills and valleys all over the place so it's a reason why cities like Seattle tend to shut down because some areas are quite steep.

It's been "fun" living in an old house with marginal insulation in places and having an in wall gas furnace that super heats the living room and less so the kitchen with an auxiliary duct for the kitchen and leaves the two front bedrooms colder and they have insulation as they are newer construction from the rest of the house (built in 1908 with an addition added in I think the 70's). Dishes are ice cold as they are in cupboards up against the back wall of the house and my laundry room is a non insulated and enclosed back porch so a space heater keeps that room from freezing. There is a baseboard heater in there, but it does not work for some reason.

Today, our high will be 36*F but by tomorrow, highs will be back to the low to mid 40's, about normal I think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frosty car.JPG (433.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg frosty corner 16.JPG (367.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg snow 2016.JPG (339.7 KB, 3 views)

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck

Last edited by john from seattle; 12-17-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

You know the snow industry and the removal of same is one that we can always rely on. Some years less then others. It employs a lot of people that if in a position to do the work can make some serious coin.

I can remember a Tuesday we got called out to rescue people off the streets in our town due to snow. They stayed in the City Hall building over night. Their cars were left on the streets. Makes you think that without all the plows what would society look like. I had to advise a person NOT to go down Irving park from York East as the airport has made a no-mans-land down that street. If you get stuck, don't expect anyone to come get you. So they shut down the road east bound for a time. I think all the flight at O'Hare were cancelled too. They look for any excuse to cancel flights it seems to me. I used to work out there when I worked for Hughes. They have got some wide plows at the airport. 16 foot maybe.

Anyway, if you have plowing ability it can be a gold mine. There are repairs cost too but with some common sense you can stay clear of large hard objects.
I drive a Jeep so I was able to get into the police station but all the cars they had were stuck. Public safety can decrease down to nothing at times without you even knowing it.

Sam Palermo, BSEE and ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 12-17-2016, 10:22 AM
oldsckool

Right now in Winlock WA. it is 29 degrees and forecast is for snow this afternoon. High will be 32.

Thomas

Freddy1 9/9/1950 - 6/7/2015
Old 12-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Serious Tapehead

Currently it's 27F and cloudy in Tacoma, but Seattle, Mercer Island and Bellevue are reporting snow and just shy of freezing to around freezing.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 12-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Site Supporter

What ya doin in Winlock ?

The two loudest sounds in the world are a "CLICK" when you expect a "BANG" and a "BANG when you expect a "CLICK"

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.