Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 07-09-2016, 07:08 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Far too expensive. It is worth about $5.00
I just ordered 1.5uFd for $5.32 ea with free shipping.
Keep on looking. Amazon is not your friend. They sell a lot of defective junk and do not stand behind it. I do not buy anything off Amazon.
Try this one instead-
https://www.zoro.com/dayton-motor-ru...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 07-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Live Long and Prosper..

Why not just tack the new run cap in parallel with the old 60hz cap until you ascertain whether or not it cures the problem? If it does, I would re-stuff the can later on with both values, I like these units to look as well as work right.

FYI to the OP in case you aren't aware the third terminal on the cap Sam has linked is for mounting/mounting lug. If you had to, you could integrate it into the can mounts somehow but I wouldn't bother.

For me its easy to open the old can and restuff once I know that is the problem. 2 radial caps would fit just fine even though likely the 50hz cap will never be needed.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:05 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Problem solved, installed the new capacitor and its been playing for 3 hours straight with no dragging. I'm really amazed how good the sound quality is on this deck, thanks for everyone's help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160709_215835.jpg (47.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by supersportsteve; 07-09-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:16 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Which cap exactly did you install? Link?
Old 11-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportsteve View Post
Problem solved, installed the new capacitor and its been playing for 3 hours straight with no dragging. I'm really amazed how good the sound quality is on this deck, thanks for everyone's help!
Missed this back in July: Glad you got it all sorted!! YES!!! They do sound pretty darn 'good'_________
Old 11-30-2016, 08:48 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Hmm mine did the same thing. Did it twice and never again. The only difference it was plugged in an isobar. I was unable to replicate the reel slow down which occured about 20 minutes into playing music.

I do have a cap on order just in case. Its 2uF 250v smaller rectangular plastic package.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

After all these years and in some cases these caps are becoming defective. I don't know why as most the time the caps are replaced with a film type just for a guess. Turns out the guess is right some of thee time.
I have 1.5uFd and 2uFd caps in stock now and 4.5uFd for the Otari decks.
Sony and some Otari decks are also having failures of this kind. it is all in a days work I guess. We had to replace quite a few caps in a Teac A1500 not too long ago and one of them did not allow the high speed to even work.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:27 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

My A-3440 was doing the EXACT same thing. It would play fine for 15 or 20 minutes and then slow down and eventually stop. If I switched to STOP and then back to PLAY it would begin to transport the tape but immediately lose torque on the takeup allowing the tension arm to fall and stop the tape. The takeup solenoid would try to pull in and then give up.

it had a new capstan belt.

What corrected the problem was calibrating the machine torques. Buy some spring gages and that is about all you need other than a length of kite string.

Adjusting the torque on the takeup reel was a learning exercise. There are two screws and it is not immediately apparent which one to turn. They work together.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.