Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 08-16-2014, 02:15 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

TEAC X-2000R Spooling

Hi All,

Can someone assist me with this .....

I have just bought a TEAC X-2000R and have had it stripped and serviced.

The units works and sound great but I have 1 issue with it ..... the tape does not pack on to the take-up reel firmly and evenly. I have tried various reels and these reels perform fine on my X-1000R and A-3300SX.

What should I look for ?

Thanks.

Leong
Old 08-17-2014, 09:46 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Are you taking about is ff and rewind mode ? I don't think Ive found any machine that packs tape evenly in those modes. the X-2000 and x-2000M both have a spooling mode, but no auto reverse. My X-2000 will not pack evenly unless I use the spool mode feature. Hope this helps.

EDIT: ok I re-read your post it sounds like it happens when you play ? Maybe check the alignment of the tension arm rollers and make sure the nylon washers on both side of them are not missing.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:45 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Hi Kevman,

Yes .... in play mode. Tension arms are fine and washers are in place.

Do you think packing the supply side reel table out (like with a reel adjusting disc) will help ?
Old 08-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Position of the reel table out or in just make the flange not to rub. The correct way to fast wind a tape is under the proper regulated tension. Most service shops I have seen units after they touch them are no where close to what they should be- they adjust them by effect which is wrong.
Check the voltage reference at the tension arm opto returns and then adjust the tension to 50-60 g/cm tension using a Tentelometer. If you are using non back coated tape then that is on reason not to use it. I have had back coated tapes wind perfectly find in X series servo tension decks when all the settings are correct they do the same thing in Tascam servo adjusted tension arm units like the 52.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.