Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Non Audio Discussions > The Lounge

The Lounge The place to cool your heels and engage in small talk about whatever suits your interest. No politics or religion, please.

Donate to Tapeheads!
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:16 PM
5/12/2008 - 12/27/2014

Welcome To The Lounge

Greetings all! I have set this new board up to act as your proverbial "water cooler" or "after work lounge" to do all your small-talk. This is the place to talk about general topics a-la "Seinfeld": A whole lot of nothing. You just want to have fun and take a break from audio and the news, and just hang out and socialize, this new forum is for you. Many of these topics have been moved over from "The Mud Pit". I would like to keep that board reserved for newsworthy topics and/or "op-ed" subjects as well as hard debates.

Enjoy and have fun. Pretty much anything non-audio and non 'current events' is welcome in here. All I ask is that you try and keep it PG-13 or lower rated please.

Thanks

-Des
Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 PM
MacGyver

smoking or non-smoking? (i DESPISE ciggies!!!!)
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM
raisn em up waxn em down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ayeka View Post
smoking or non-smoking? (i DESPISE ciggies!!!!)
Nice Cuban cigars only --smokin-- Just kidding. I quit smoking 3 1/2 years ago and don't really miss it although I do miss a good stogie now and then.

Great idea Matt. The Mud Pit was getting a little convoluted but was the only place to post that kind of thing till now
Old 09-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

Cool! I'll have a brew and settle in ....

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Serious Tapehead

I quit smoking 16 years ago and still miss it from time to time. I also miss the occasional cigar. But I know what would happen, 1 cigar would lead directly to 2 packs of cigarettes a day in no time at all.

Last edited by clhboa; 09-24-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 AM
raisn em up waxn em down

I didn't smoke cigars all that often but I sure enjoyed them when I did. We have a great tobacconist here in town who has wicked cigars for sale. Anything from $1 on up, Cubans as far as the eye can see. Ok, gotta stop thinking about that now.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Serious Tapehead

Gave up smoking a couple of decades ago. Hardest thing I ever did. Best decision I ever made too!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:28 PM
ponderin perpetual motion

i quit smoking 6 1/2 years ago but too late. now have c.o.p.d., on O2 24/7, and my days are #ed.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 PM
The King of CROWN!

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but MAN I'm glad I NEVER started smoking!

It must be hell to try to quit. My father started after he was drafted into the Army Air Corps during WWII.

He quit a 100 times. And started back 100 times.

It finally killed him at 83. Lung cancer, not pretty!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM
young Tapehead

alot of kids at my age smoke. lucky i don't and i have never wanted to try.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Monte Slim View Post
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but MAN I'm glad I NEVER started smoking!
Ditto!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teac3440 View Post
alot of kids at my age smoke. lucky i don't and i have never wanted to try.
Don't ever start ....

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:23 AM
The King of CROWN!

Smile Latest Estate Sale non-score

I went by an Estate Sale yesterday morning at a house in a gated community just a mile or two from my house. A little on-line research the night before revealed that the house was built in 1977 and was about 4500 square feet. I figured just being able to see the house would be worthwhile, but there's got to be some vintage gear in a place like that!

So when I get to the house, it turns out it should have been called a "small indoor yard sale". Not a whole lot of stuff for sale, and confined to 2 or 3 rooms with the rest of the house blocked off.

The only item of interest was a Radio Shack portable RTR unit with hinged speakers. Nothing particularly desirable, as far as I was concerned. It did have a Maxell tape and a platic take-up reel on it. They wanted $30 for it, and I started to see if they would take $20, but then I thought to myself, what the heck would I do with it? Just don't need something else to sit around taking up space. I have no idea if it worked or not. So I left it there.

Now you would think that there might be some tapes to go with the unit, but I found none. Of course, I did not have access to the whole house like a REAL Estate Sale would have! I like the type of Estate Sales where the whole house is open and every room is full of stuff!

There is a group of ladies that run Estate Sales in this area known as "The Sisters". They run a pretty good Estate Sale. I am on their email list. They have one coming up next week. Who knows? Hope springs eternal!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Feed Your Heads

I quit years ago,, but when I went in for a serious surgery I asked my cook for a Marlboro to Smoke Just in case it was my Last,,lit that sucker up and took a pull,,Jesus Christ ,,put it out and told myself if this was in fact my last day on earth i didnt want to meet my Maker smelling like a Ciggerette
Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

I'm a "non-practicing smoker". I quit when my wife became pregnant with our first child, we have both been back and quit. I still have one from time to time (when my judgement is impaired), I don't think I'll ever be truly free from their grip
Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Underground Audiophile

im a smoker. 2 packs a day

its an expensive nasty dirty habit! dont start like me kiddies. youll regret it! hell im only 27 and im always winded, i wake upin the morning and cant brethe sometimes. it sucks.

facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/bobby.beaumont3 | Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110053519649392668652/about
Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

4 1/2 years off that mess.

I am 51 years old, I started smoking at birth (2nd hand), By 13 I was smoking cigarettes with my familia. At my peak I was smoking 4 packs Camel Lights a day... Somehow I was able to end the habit (Chantix). Yes I miss them.

But my audio gear does not, the amount of tar crap that used to drip out of my tv (other gear) during the highlights of my apartment days with my room mates, freaking blew my mind. And I was hacking brown crud every morning.

It killed my Dad, and I smoked years after the fact,
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 AM
Serious Tapehead

I'm an ex smoker. 3 packs a day at one point! I quit 20 years ago. Didn't go cold turkey, tapered down over a couple of months. When I was down to 5 a day I went then went cold turkey. It was very very rough! Took almost 6 months to lose the urge to smoke and 18 months to be able to be comfortable around smokers. Hardest thing I ever did and the best thing I ever did!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I don't smoke because I'm 13.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Ghost In The Machine

I don't smoke or drink but occasionally make others consider it.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:28 AM
Serious Tapehead

I watched as my Dad quit smoking while i was little. That has never left my mind, and I never touched a cigarette because of it!
Closed Thread

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.