Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-27-2016, 06:17 AM
Infrasound Wizardry

Power supply recap suggestions

I have a Teac 3340s, that i want to recap. I remember Sam mentioning something about going to larger caps but staying same voltage. I know that you cannot go lower in voltage but can i go higher safely without overloading down the line.
Heres what it calls for
2x. 1000/35v
1000/50v
2200/16v

My question is can i use 3300/50v nichicon pw. For all of them or just the 2200uf.
Sorry if this sounds like a bad idea, i have always replaced like for like or added higher voltage caps. But have extra of these and would like to use them up.

Thnx
Greg

Last edited by earczar; 12-27-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Serious Tapehead

There is no clear Yes or No answer to this. Not being an electrical engineer myself but more of a self taught tinkerer, I have learned that it is not possible to change the capacitor values (apart from going up in voltage) unless you have a full understanding of the complete circuit and what each section does. The capacitor values in the circuit are chosen based on a series of calculations depending on what the designer wants to achieve. So, yeah I would say, don't do it.
Cassette Decks: JVC KD-S201, Sony TC-K515S, Aiwa AD-F800 DAT: Sony DTC-59ES R2R: ReVox PR99mk2 Turntables: JVC QL-F4, 2x Technics SL-1200mk2 Amps: Sony DA3000ES, JVC JR-S201, Philips FR752 EQ: Technics SH 8055 Speakers: Akai SW157ii, Mission 752 DJ Stuff: 2x Pioneer CDJ1000mk3, Traktor Kontrol S8 Headphones: V-Moda M-100
Old 12-27-2016, 06:58 AM
Serious Tapehead

$10 gets you all of these that you want in top quality

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nichicon-UFW...tonFl4oAttwthg
Cassette Decks: JVC KD-S201, Sony TC-K515S, Aiwa AD-F800 DAT: Sony DTC-59ES R2R: ReVox PR99mk2 Turntables: JVC QL-F4, 2x Technics SL-1200mk2 Amps: Sony DA3000ES, JVC JR-S201, Philips FR752 EQ: Technics SH 8055 Speakers: Akai SW157ii, Mission 752 DJ Stuff: 2x Pioneer CDJ1000mk3, Traktor Kontrol S8 Headphones: V-Moda M-100
Old 12-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Infrasound Wizardry

Anyone else, out there? That can give me a second opinion. Thnx though Antonis that is usually what i do, but if i can improve this then i want to try.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I have increased the cap values by 50% but not 300%. The 50% is not going to be a problem. Mouser sells 1500uFd caps all the time. If you want to up the caps from 35V to 50 that is perfectly OK. Remember that the designers may have put larger caps in but the penny pinchers that usually wreck things cause them to have JUST 1000uFd. This then reduces the reserve power and also once they start to decay they even have less than the minimum that you need. You might be able to get it up to 2200uFd for the 1000uFd but then you might have to upgrade the diodes for 3A. The surge current is all that you need to worry about. The higher capacitance means better ripple control and maybe higher DC voltage by a little.
You get a much better snap to the solenoid when you have a better power supply in the unit. This is not rocket science and entry level Technician should be able to figure this out besides, the caps you put in are usually 1/2 or less the size of the ones you will be replacing. If guys that restore units do it why not the rest?

There are also some larger caps on the lower cards that could use an upgrade as well. I have had units of that model that I have recapped entire cards due to gain levels being weak or loss of signals. Once you take the card lose, you might as well do the job.

Sam Palermo, BSEE and ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Discover Cards!

Last edited by Skywavebe; 12-27-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:22 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywavebe View Post
I have increased the cap values by 50% but not 300%. The 50% is not going to be a problem. Mouser sells 1500uFd caps all the time. If you want to up the caps from 35V to 50 that is perfectly OK. Remember that the designers may have put larger caps in but the penny pinchers that usually wreck things cause them to have JUST 1000uFd. This then reduces the reserve power and also once they start to decay they even have less than the minimum that you need. You might be able to get it up to 2200uFd for the 1000uFd but then you might have to upgrade the diodes for 3A. The surge current is all that you need to worry about. The higher capacitance means better ripple control and maybe higher DC voltage by a little.
You get a much better snap to the solenoid when you have a better power supply in the unit. This is not rocket science and entry level Technician should be able to figure this out besides, the caps you put in are usually 1/2 or less the size of the ones you will be replacing. If guys that restore units do it why not the rest?

There are also some larger caps on the lower cards that could use an upgrade as well. I have had units of that model that I have recapped entire cards due to gain levels being weak or loss of signals. Once you take the card lose, you might as well do the job.
beat me to it!
You can of course put in a too large capacitor too in a power supply, which can cause other issues, but as Skywavebe already mentioned, 50%, even 75% will not cause any issues in a power supply.
The only time increasing a caps value can cause issues is when they are used in a timing type of circuit, or in an audio coupling circuit, plus some other types of circuits, but this is really not an issue with most r2r decks out there!
WWW.TUBENIRVANA.NET
WWW.REVOX-R2R.COM
Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Infrasound Wizardry

Very good, thanks Sam. That clears that up for me. Ive seen a few on the lower cards and would replace each if i pulled them out. Only problem on this 3340s is removing the cards. Do you guys just cut each wire and label them?

Cheers
Old 01-10-2017, 07:52 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earczar View Post
Only problem on this 3340s is removing the cards. Do you guys just cut each wire and label them?

Cheers
I have not done this but know what I would do. People who have done it probably have some better ideas.

The first thing I would do is snap a few photos with my iPhone making sure to use the flash so as to have the best chance of lighting up any wire color recognition.

I would never, ever cut the wires. Never, never, never. I suppose there are extenuating circumstances but cutting would be a last resort. Think in terms of de-soldering any wires. Have a cheap solder vacuum and suck out enough solder to loosen the applicable wire.

Sometimes it might be better to de-solder with the board still firmly attached to the chassis and sometimes it might be better to have it loose first.

Remove the board from the chassis. Do your work on it. Then clean up any of the places where wires are to be re-soldered to.

In theory you have a better chance of a clean solder joint (no cold solders allowed!) if you use eutectic solder. Solder is routinely sold in all the hobby shops as a 60/40% alloy. Due to metallurgy this mixture allows both the tin and lead to solidify at the same time. However, not quite. The precise mixture should be 63/37%.

On capacitor voltage rating: All capacitors are rated to withstand a maximum voltage. This is called its "dielectric strength." Too small a value and the junction will ionize and potentially arc over. There is no too large a value other than maybe the thing is just too hunk'n big.

With the capacitance value you have a lot of slop to up the capacitance when it comes to power supplies. I would be more concerned with getting the polarities right. Remember, too, when working with power supply capacitors that you don't set yourself for an irritating shock. You might jerk your hand and damage something or injure yourself hitting something. Bleed off any excess charge first.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I don't know where the wire unsoldering came from but there are a few circumstances where a counter stop wire is too short and you I have unsoldered them and put them back but most recently I have extended them about 6 inches to get the board out to do the job. Usually a few wire ties being cut and taking out the three screws is all it takes, Also be advised that Radial caps are the things mostly sold these days while Axial have a high price on them. Since the caps size is shrinking in size there is no reason to not let the Radial caps sit upright and just extend the leads to the sides. If they don't reach just take a resistor lead and twist it around the cap lead and then cut it long enough to go down the PCB hole to be soldered. The main thing is to pay attention to the polarity of the cap so that you don't blow up parts that otherwise would be fine.

Sam Palermo, BSEE and ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Discover Cards!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.