Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

X2000R skew problem resolved

Hello friends,
Recently I have discovered another solution which I am sharing with you today with regard to skew that happens at the Pinch rollers of the X2000R.

This has been a thing I had great amount of trouble try to fix when it started happening usually on well worn machines. I did everything to try to get rid of the problem. Still no answer- then it occurred to me what if the head position is actually causing this? So being the X2000R is a hard unit to make any head adjustments to I started to do what I could. It turns out that the problem is caused by a worn head as well as a cocked head. These guys put these on so fast they don't even check anything and most all of them are cock in a poor direction. After all with that head mount it takes far longer to make a correction than it does with a good head mount system like on the X1000R. Anyway I was able to pitch the head so that the skew was not happening at all and then the alignment and all was done. What a god forsaken head mount system is all I can say about this model.
This is still not an easy thing to accomplish but for the more seasoned Technicians who want to have an answer, this has worked for me. First make sure the pinch roller meet up is correct and the capstan surface is not scored- this will pull the tape one way or the other due to wear. If you need more details to this you know where to find me.

Sam Palermo, BSEE and ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Discover Cards!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Serious Tapehead

If the X2000R has these and other types of problems not inherent with the X1000R why do they seem to command a higher price over the X1000R? Might it be the perception that since its a newer model it must therefore be better?
Old 09-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

It is the perception that a higher model has more to it but in reality this has a few conditions of less. The things that are less though are major issues.
Two things right off the bat come to mind-
1) Head mount problems
2) Plastic keyboard versus metal Keyboard

It has been the history with Japanese manufacturing that they make a cheap product at first- perfect it through some years and finally come out with a good product- then that is not good enough so they have to make it cheaper while saying it is better and that is when the BPC type stuff comes out- it is the declining off the bell shaped curve. The BPC and dual cassette decks as well as this X2000R is a large fall from when they made a good product- I think the tip of the bell was the X1000R. After that it was down hill.

The other things I have to deal with make for a longer repair and therefore more money to fix the unit.
Look at how many people still believe that Akai units are so great yet most if not all Technicians will not own them. In my first GX747 unit I thought now I was going to see some good stuff- boy was I surprised. No matter what I did with the unit it was substandard noise, frequency and overall controls on the audio board were lacking. Any A2300S could outperform this so called hi end unit. Still there are people that want to pay $3000 for this pos.
I know some do not like me for telling them the truth but then when is the truth really popular? There are a lot of brands that I like as well as Teac or Tascam but neither Akai nor Dokorder are among them.

Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Highly Biased

So you are saying that head tilt actually triggers tape skew? I guess one could also test by gently pulling out on the tape lifter just enough so the tape no longer touches the heads.
I thought all head bases had 3 screws for height, tilt, and azimuth. Did the X2000 save money by eliminating a screw?
Old 10-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

If you have not worked on one you will note this first off.
The X1000R as well as all A series had three screws. There are more but for adjustment of the head position on the mount.
The X2000R has one front counter sunk- which holds the head, two hex nuts to apply azimuth angle and a screw in the middle of them for tangent adjustment as little as it moves. There is no rear tilt adjustment screw but if you know what you are doing the two azimuth screws when moved down at the same time while loosening the back screw can cause the head to tilt.
I think when they mount these heads they only set azimuth which is why almost all of these heads are unevenly worn not to mention the figure 8 pattern on the head surface probably due to uneven tape to head pressure that results in less life of the head. The heads- CA type are good heads but when mounted on a poor design they can be adversely affected and then you get less time out of them.
You really can not pull down on the lifter as it is linked to the Pinch rollers and you might lower pinch roller pressure causing another condition. They are not free like the A series.

At least in the unit I found this out on I made the correction and it works.
I sent one unit back some time ago that the problem was not resolved entirely but it was in the reverse direction. Now after all this time and many hours of fooling around with these units I am like always, learning how to manage parts to offset the mistakes in their "Better Design" model.. I could keep silent and not say anything but for those of you that know how I am, this is not my way.

I do ask other Technicians who have worked on these model for as long as I and I do not get any answers from them and often times they have not seen any of this problem. How can that be?

Old 10-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Serious Tapehead

"I do ask other Technicians who have worked on these model for as long as I and I do not get any answers from them and often times they have not seen any of this problem. How can that be?"

Simple, your a perfectionist. I mean that in a good way.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

You can say that but the skew I see often is so bad that the tape leaves the head- which you have to notice and the tape can be damaged and that has to be noticed. If any Technician lets these things go by they don't belong in the business. If I was to show you what I an talking about you would agree that this is no small matter. I just am not one to take those ocean going videos that most people take. Plus I am not one to be fooled into buying those overpriced I phones. They make such horrible pictures and plenty of them blurred. If they were so good they should compensate for the bad users.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Highly Biased

First of all, we are working on decks with significantly greater wear issues than those "experts" saw 15 or 20 years ago. Second, you make me chuckle about tilt problems and Teac heads. I thought ALL teacs had incorrect tilt. Back in the 80's I used to correct the tilt, but when the head wear was deep enough I learned to just let it go out the way it came in. Show me an A1200 with parallel wear patterns and I'll buy you a 6 pack.
Seriously, I do recall some heads with height adjustments that double as tilt - Nakamichi classic head blocks work exactly the same way! We have the advantage of fancy alignment gauges that make setup a snap, while the poor teac tech pulls out his hair.
I really appreciate you posting Sam. Stuff like this is important. I doubt it makes good reading for most THers, but a few of us empathize more than you know.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:59 PM
Serious Tapehead

As a new owner of this deck, I have to ask. Please forgive the n00b ignorance but......
how does a beginners such as myself know if this is a problem? I have always been
of the school "If it ain't broke....." but it the heads are skewed I certainly do not want
to damage them through lack of action.

The deck I have was purchased through fleabay. The communication with the seller said
that he had tried to have it serviced but couldn't afford it. When I got the unit there
were two collar clamp screws rattling around in the case and the reel tables were way out of alignment (scraping on the front panel causing all sorts of noise and tension problems).

I like this deck a lot and would like to keep it up and running. Yes, and maybe I should have bought the X-1000R for a couple hundred less.

Thanks

Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BII 2 (x2), Tascam 32-2, Pioneer RT-707, Teac X-700R
Old 12-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hi Marty,
The posting of this nature is really like the 300 level math I had in college, not for the beginners and many of the experienced guys have trouble with it. I am not trying to be too perfect but a tape deck is suppose to transport the tape in an even manner. It is when they go and make these improvements that the guy who have to deal with it say what is this crap?
The X1000R may bot be the better machine to some but I have seen enough failures in X2000R decks that the X1000R does not have at all. I have had no processor problems with the X1000R but several with the X2000R and the additional solder joints caused by many more jumpers on the power servo board looks like they never tried to reroute any signals but just bought stock in a jumper company- IS this better I ask you? I end up resoldering all the bad joints I find but this cost me time and solder- sometimes a 9 foot string. I don't recall seeing a lot of A1200 units with tilted heads and maybe you saw a much greater sample than we did in Chicago. I don't think that model came in all that much when I was there. I am sure that none of these heads are positioned perfect but good enough to work. I just took in a TSR8 with channel 1 signal problems. Guess what I saw on the head?
A big trapezoid pattern with channel 1 being the smaller of the wear mark so it's tape to head pressure has always been low.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:00 PM
Highly Biased

Tape skew is when the tape literally curls up or down in play more, often "climbing" out of the pinch roller contact area. You will know you have the problem when it is severe. To check your deck, lay it flat so you can have a good view of the heads. Get a good light source. Set a tape into play, and look at the tape as it travels across all heads. The light should reflect off the tape giving a uniform smooth reflection. Look carefully for dips and curls at top or bottom edges, especially at the two tape guides. If all looks flat and smooth, you do not have a skew issue.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks to you both. I will check.

Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BII 2 (x2), Tascam 32-2, Pioneer RT-707, Teac X-700R
Old 05-18-2016, 06:14 PM
Boy's bright, but he don't allways listen!

Fascinating reading to say the least Sam! But of course it takes someone who woke up one day wanting to learn how to work on these old damn decks! LOL!

Marty also when you have the deck on it's back look at the wear pattern on the heads, it SHOULD be straight on top to bottom across the tape path. If there is no wear marks on the heads get a old reel of craped out Scotch 150 and put some grease pencil marks on the heads across the head gap area and a little on the sides. Color must contrast with the heads! Run the tape for a bit in play rewind it and look at the pattern on the heads. Is the pattern uniform from top to bottom? If so the heads should be set up "right" as far as tilt. If you don't have a grease pencil use a sharpie marker, this will require a longer playing time though, ink is a bit tougher!

PS!!!! After your done CLEAN the tape path!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2016, 12:56 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

How the X1000R compares to the X2000R

Hi Sam,
I spoke to you on the phone a few weeks ago and was planning to send my machine in to you so it can be adjusted and checked for skew as for anything else.
I just got my rollers back from Terry and wanted to know when would be a good time to send it to you.
Do you think it would be somewhat easier to fix the skewing on the x1000R as opposed to its brother?
Old 11-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I have to say that there are still units coming in while I have told others that I am not taking in units until the first of the year to clean out.
I try and get 2 to three units out a day and I don't mean a 8 hour day but often times it does not happen. Some problem are more complex.
A good time to send it is around Jan 1. Skew can be had for a number of reasons and I don't really fix the skew problem but more about what is causing it. Also know that if you have old rollers on the deck and then put new Terry rollers and there is nothing wrong with that, but the azimuth can change due to drive parts being changed.

It is like the guy who changes a belt on the deck and never sets the speed on it. Every time you change something the speed has to be adjusted. I just oiled a 3 year from serviced unit with AMS oil. The speed increased 50 Hz just for that reason alone. Another example or proof that this AMS stuff is what I call liquid Gold. Deck I get in now always get AMS oil.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:57 PM
Wild West user

WOW

I wanted a newer X series and was thinking of the X-10R when I found the X-1000R on an Ebay listing in 2002 for somewhat less compared to today's prices. Now I am even more happy that I bought the X-1000R.

X-1000R, X-7R disassembled, RS-1506, Kenwood KX-W4060 cassette, linear tracking turntable & 2 Klipsch KLF-10's. Into audio and R2R for 54 years since I was 11 & built my first circuit
Old 11-30-2016, 06:46 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

The X1000R is a nice machine in comparison to X10R and X2000R but it too has it's problems or I should say the weakness to those that do not use them right as well as the idiots that turn the tape tension up just so they can get by not cleaning the pinch rollers. I see these come in all the time and it is a constant aggravation that I do not need.
50-60 g/cm is the only tension these should have and if you can not deal with that the get a A3300SR or the A6300 they only have one pinch roller and will outlast the X1000R anyway.

Who said they had found a DC capstan motor for these decks. I checked the Nidec number they listed and the company had no such part.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.