Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Reeling and railing!

Changing Pioneer RT-707 direction lamps for leds

Today I was working a Pioneer RT-707, putting some grease in the capstan motor and adjusting the fly wheel when both direction lamps burned. It's rare that both lamps burn at the same time, but I think that this happened because they were in their last hours, and after manipulated the deck, putting it up, down... etc, finally the filaments broke.

Fortunatelly I had some leds left at home, so I began to replace both direction lamps with leds. The voltage to the lamps is about 26VDC, so a balast resistor is needed in serial with each led. I used 5mm width leds, that enter perfectly in the hold.

In a first time I tried a 1.3Kohms. 1/4 watt. After testing, it got too hot, so I tried a 2.2 Kohms. and with more wattage. Tested that first one led with it and all was working well.

Here is the procedure I followed to change the direction lamps with leds.

**Click in the images to watch the big version

1- Remove the deck cover. Four philips screws in each side and three more in the upper.

2- Remove the front panel. Two philips screws and three more in the bottom. Remove the pots knobs of MIC and LINE controls. Also the pinch control knob. To remove the front panel now, both pinch roller must be pushed up manually and with care, pull the panel.

3- Both direction lamps are in a small black socket. To remove it, unscrew the two philips screws.

Each lamp is inside his hole and can be removered simply pulling the lamp from their wires.

4- Solder the balast resistor to the cathode of the led (in the image is shown the first resistor that I tried). Use a simple tester to know which wire will go to the cathode and which one to the anode.

5- Put the led inside the original socket

6- Solder the wires to the led and the balast resistor

Here is another pic with the final balast resistor selected, 2.2 KOhms.

7- Solder the other direction led.

8- Test both direction leds.

9- Put some electric tape in the chasis where will be hold the leds socket, to make a dielectric layer so that nothing wrong happens if some wire of the new leds touch the bottom part of the socket once it has been put in its original place

10- Put the leds socket in its place with the two philips screws and test the work

11- Put the front face and the cover in their original places.

That's all folks!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Ferrochrometal

Well, I don't have a pioneer RT-707, but I just wanted to say very nice step-by-step guide, with pics even! Anyone should be able to do this.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

Very nice, as changing lamps to LEDs is almost universal in methodology. Think we'll make this one a sticky.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Total Tape Nut

Nice work Reeler. Another one for the maintenance reference section
Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 PM
The reel deal?

Perfect! The forward lamp on my 'new' 707 is out. Soon as I'm back to normal (wrist surgery yesterday), I'll do it up. Thanks for the pix.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:32 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Very helpful!

Thanks for the post, it helped tremendously. I found good results using the 2.2K resistors and 5mm green LEDs (20mA 40mcd). Radio Shack part number# 276-0022.

Thanks again, Bill!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Long Live Magnetic Medium

I'll do mine when I get around to checking out my 707..thanks for the info & instructions! Rob
Old 09-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Magnetic Profiler

Nice repair procedure, I will do this when I go to change my lamps, one is burnt out now.

Thanks,
John.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

anyone know the specs for that resistor? how much wattage ? I see 1/2 , 1 and 2 Watt resistors at Radio Shack.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

You just need to know some of ohms law to figure this out. I did one out of necessity not too long ago and I used 3mm LED that were expanded with heat shrink tubing to make then stick in the holders. my purpose is to get the lamps up more forward where the original filaments were. Perhaps this
was no matter but my resistors were like 1.2K. Of course it all depends on what LED you are using and it's maximum voltage and I rating.
I use the Vs- Vled max to get the resistor voltage drop required and 26 Vdc was present and Led max was 2.7V so 23.2 was the drop and error on the side of better the LED could draw 20 mA so 23.3/.020 is 1165 ohms. So I selected a 1.2K resistor that was 1/2 watt. Now the power calc- the
P=I^2 x R so .0004 X 1200=.48W so the 1/2 watt resistor should do. I put the resistor in line with the wires to the LED and covered the bare areas with heat shrink, The resistor itself is not conductive and the did not get that warm. They were plenty bright and these were the White point source LED I bought for meter lighting experiments a while back by the 100 quantity on E bay. I stock White, Blue, Yellow, and Red in 10mm, 5mm and 3mm LED's. it is good to be prepared when you need to do a project like this. Yes, I have thousands of resistors is stock too all values.

There are color lenses in the buttons and so the white will work as well as the green or maybe be brighter.

Sam Palermo, BSEE and ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 08-07-2014, 02:14 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks SAM, so I think I got it down

My LED specs are Forward voltage: max 3.0, IF=20mA

So that transalates to 1150 ohms of resistance and power .46w

So a 1.2k Ohm resistore with 1/2 power will do it.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:38 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

For anyone that wants to do this here are the parts I picked up from Radio Shack

LED 2PK:
Item# 226-022
RadioShack 5mm Green LED

Resistor 5PK:
Item # 271-1120
1.5K ohm 1/2W 5% Carbon Film Resistor pk/5

These specs seem to mate together based on the calculations. I'll report back when I get to test this out.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I know that the Resistor must get soldered to the cathode side of the LED. But on the RT707 is there a polarity to be considered when attaching the LED to the unit ?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I know that the Resistor must get soldered to the cathode side of the LED. But on the RT707 is there a polarity to be considered when attaching the LED to the unit ?
Yes, absolutely. If you connect it backwards, the LED won't light. Use a voltage tester to determine which wire is positive and connect it to the anode (long leg, round side) of the LED. The resistor can go on either side.

I just performed this repair with some 3 mm white LEDs from Parts Express and a 2.2 KΩ 1/2 w resistor. They're rated 1500 mcd, so are still quite bright at 10 mA and the resistors stay cool.

Forgot to mention that the lamps are ground-switched, so I put a single resistor up at the connector board and used just one of the positive wires in a common-anode arrangement.

Last edited by JVRaines; 03-02-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Lover of all things TECH!

Nice pics, good job
Old 02-05-2017, 06:26 PM
The NICE PRICE!

Just did this mod tonight and it worked perfectly. I got a little different and changed them out to blue in keeping with the Pioneer flourascan theme. Looks awesome. Thanks for the write up!
Receiver: Pioneer SX-1050 EQ: Sansui SE-9 R2R: Sony TC-458, Pioneer RT-707, Cassette: Nakamichi RX-303, Pioneer CT-F1250, CT-F900, CT-M6R, Turntable: Pro Ject Perspex SB with Sumiko BPS EVO III, Pre-amp Pro Ject Tube Box S MD: Sony MDS-JE440 NAD: Pioneer Elite C-50
Digital Media can byte me!
Old 02-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I wanted to do a follow up on my comment in that the Resistors attached to the LED's are difficult to do because of space limitations. What I did find is that there are some wire wrap posts that the wires go to on the top board and that is a much better place to mount resistors that are to get warm.
If the calculation says .46W then the correct engineering to do is put in a 1 watt resistor OR double the resistance value to use and connect two 1/2 W resistors in Parallel- thus same ending resistance and 1 watt dissipation. Use heat shrink to prevent the resistor from touching other vertical pins.
The place the resistor goes in does not matter as the same current will flow in the cathode or anode end of the LED circuit. The polarity of the LED must be correct though. Good to test all this stuff before closing it up.

Also do not use the maximum forward voltage in the calculations but it is wise and common to use 70-80% of the max voltage and then that will still be bright enough even with high output 3 mm types.

The lamps go out at the same time due to vibration as the filaments are
extremely fragile after all these years- it is probably a good practice to replace them now every time.

Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:09 PM
The NICE PRICE!

Now you tell me Sam! Lol. I didn't even think about the position of the resistor. That would have saved me a bit of wire massaging. Next deck I do I will remember this little useful fact.
Receiver: Pioneer SX-1050 EQ: Sansui SE-9 R2R: Sony TC-458, Pioneer RT-707, Cassette: Nakamichi RX-303, Pioneer CT-F1250, CT-F900, CT-M6R, Turntable: Pro Ject Perspex SB with Sumiko BPS EVO III, Pre-amp Pro Ject Tube Box S MD: Sony MDS-JE440 NAD: Pioneer Elite C-50
Digital Media can byte me!
Old 05-29-2017, 04:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

As an fyi if you source and get a true 12v LED (Note: true 12v LED's have NO external dropping resistor as it is all on the chip dye in the LED lens) this will reduce the wattage requirements on the dropping resistor thus making fitting the resistor some place a bit easier as it will be smaller in size.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

This may be correct but most Technician have piles of LED's on hand but not many 12 V ones. Plus if they ever go out and you do not remember that 12 V lamps are in then the regular type LED's will burn out fast as they might not be 12 V types. LED's do last a long time but they do burn out if a lot of hours are put to them. They are transistor junctions and we know that after 30-40 years we are finding bad transistors once in a while unless you have an Akai where it is more often than not.
Which ever way you want to do it.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.