Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > The Music Room

The Music Room Relax and set a spell in the Music Room. Talk about whatever strikes your fancy that relates to enjoying music, your audio system and components. Cigars and cognac optional.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:46 PM
Serious Tapehead

sansui anyone?

i dont see much about sansui equipment. why is that?
Old 01-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

for me, its because all my sansui stuff blew up when i was younger. i have a bunch of sansui in the collection right now but i dont trust any of it and with the exception of a very rare tube AM receiver, i didnt pay much.

i know they made some nice gear but they had a hard to shake rep of building fire catching receivers in the early 70's.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Sendust for brains

I wasn't able to answer because the question was too broad.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 01-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Serious Tapehead

I currently have a pair of vintage Sansui speakers that I'm going to be selling, they are nice, have horns, but come from an era when pretty much all Japanese speakers tend to have a certain sound that was not conducive to
Western music and this was most evident in very live rooms with little absorptive materials.

My late father had the Sansui 4000 receiver from 1971 that was reliable and sounded very good, actually quite on the warm side for solid state.

By the very early 70's most manufacturers had dealt with the solid state transistor issues in terms of bias to get both good sound and reliability, including Sansui.

By the mid to late 70's many of their receivers were very good, as was their integrated and separates, especially if you go up in the model lineup.

Unfortunately, by the 1980's, the yen to American dollar took its toll as Sansui was saddled with labor costs and not being able to ditch workers when the Yen rose to the dollar, yielding an unfavorable exchange rate and by the mid 80's began to cut corners to reduce expenses, their rack systems, and I bought one showed the cost cutting aplenty and my system was not all that good.

To this day, I wished I'd stuck to my guns and simply bought a modest setup at a real audio store where I'd have bought a decent table, receiver and bookshelf speakers for $500 in 1985. All I'd have to do is save up for a decent enough cassette deck and eventually upgrade down the line as budget permitted.

So that is the condensed version of Sansui's history. I'd do some basic research to see what comes up, and not rely on obvious sources.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 01-03-2018, 10:24 PM
Serious Tapehead

I just got my Sansui 2000x restored. This machine was made in 71 when I was born and stayed in our family since then. The technician who did the job bought all the spare parts when Sansui left Germany (Rödermark), so this one was restored only with original parts.
I have the BX300 and my Thorens TD 145 mk2 hooked up to it and I am using Mission 751 Speakers. It just sounds amazing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9801.jpg (56.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Serious Tapehead

One of my friends still has a Monster silver face Sansui receiver (one of the G series) his neighbor gave him back in the late 80s. He is still using it today & as far as I know has never had a problem with it or had it serviced. I tried getting it from him a couple years ago but he won't part with it. He hates the new crap as there are way too many functions and buttons to press just to get sound, added to that most new receivers sound like crap anyways.

Though when I last talked to him I did warn him that he should think abt getting it recapped and tuned up to help prevent an unubtainum part from blowing up & rendering the receiver useless/DOA. But that is not just a Sansui thing, that pertains to any vintage gear. Though some are more prone to needing it much sooner than others as they are literly ticking time bombs.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Turn it up!

There are certainly Sansui fans around, me included. They made some very good integrated amps and receivers. One of my main music systems is driven by a Sansui AU-919 (extensively restored). I've owned a lot of well-regarded amps and preamps (Creek, Musical Fidelity, Parasound, Bedini, Luxman and McIntosh, among others), and found that this unit is easily competitive with any/all of them. While some of their integrated amps and receivers are exceptional, you won't find nearly as much love for their speakers...I've heard many of them, and at best they are just okay. Most have very high sensitivity levels, and they can be fun as "party speakers".

I also own a Sansui AU-7900 (another full restoration) and its matching tuner, and a beautiful 2000X receiver waiting for its makeover. Oh, and I had a Sansui Eight for a number of years....a very good sounding receiver (altho quite difficult to work on!)

Sansui had a very large product line of amps and receivers over the years, and is often noted for its focus on engineering (over marketing). However, as mentioned above, some of the gear they put out - while innovative in design - was subject to failures and operating problems. I believe that much of this was a function of their ongoing efforts to push the technology envelope, and deploying some designs that operate near the ragged edge between exceptional (for the time) performance and disaster.

They had to basically "recall" the first two generations of their 2000 and 5000 receivers to address a design flaw in the bias circuits that could cause overheating and even fire! These were popular units, and this problem made a big dent in Sansui's reputation (and pocketbook!). They made some class-leading amps into the early 80's, but like most of the other Japanese mass market manufacturers they cut costs and focused primarily on lower end gear after that...altho they did produce a few nice up-market amps again in the late 80s (such as the AU-G77X II) before shifting their focus to high-end televisions and video (mostly targeting the Japanese market). Somewhere in this timeframe they sold their brand and distribution rights outside the Japanese market.

But perhaps you were referring only to their tape machines? I believe that they dropped out of the R2R business in the early 70s, and know very little about their cassette decks...but of I do know that there are sure to be Tapeheads members who can provide just about any info you could want about them.

Last edited by kcbluesman; 01-04-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: More info
Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 AM
Serious Tapehead

Sansui ended on the glorious path Nakamichi went, they are now brothers under a Chinese investment group. Nakamichi sells now nail polishes and other similar stuff, Akai (another colleague) sells washing machines, although I've seen recently and on underdeveloped countries some Akai stuff that looked rather generic being only branded as Akai, well, Sansui appears t be dead....

Sansui had sometimes a nice look but they were not top, rather sort of Fisher/Sanyo. IMHO they went the Fisher/Sanyo path, without having the fortunate Sanyo fate, of being bought by a giant in the same branche, in this case Panasonic (the last name of Matsushita). I think their peak was in the '70ies, and many people probably remember their quadro stuff. In the '80ies they went down rather quick.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Serious Tapehead

I am running with a 8080db, sp2500 (spkr A), sp3500 (spkr B), pioneer cs 701 (spkr C) pioneer rtr909, jvc tdw 318 cassette, jvc mc 100 cd, yamaha tt.

A litttle light on bass (sansui speakers) but well rounded with pioneer .
Old 01-04-2018, 09:17 AM
ministry of reels

tuners!!!

the sansui tuners are legendary. I had a TU-7900 that I kept until it was replaced by a TU-9900

great tuners for the FM-head crowd.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

first and only SANSUI product i've ever owned to date are a pair of late-60's/early-70's SP-2000 that i found at a rummage sale, somewhere back around 2013, for a couple dollars or so.
they needed PLENTY of TLC, but after a good cleanup and polish, the looked and sounded quite fine...

Last edited by Tasuke; 01-04-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Sendust for brains

Now THAT'S pure Kabuki, if there ever was an example.

I just got an email from a customer expressing his continued delight with a G-8000 I recently did for him. Always nice to hear that sort of thing.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 01-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
tuners!!!

the sansui tuners are legendary. I had a TU-7900 that I kept until it was replaced by a TU-9900

great tuners for the FM-head crowd.
I regularly use a Sansui 5000A, and I like it very much!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Vi-Fi Tapehead

I used to own an AU-D22 amplifier. It was a BOTL amplifier but, together with the AU-D33, has a very good reputation. I loved it's unique character. Even nowadays they sell for good money 2nd hand.

Another of my great crushes was the RG-7 equalizer. It't echo/reverb feature sounded awful to me, but Lord, it sure was a sight for sore eyes.

"A proposition must be plain, to be adopted by the understanding of a people. A false notion which is clear and precise will always have more power in the world than a true principle which is obscure or involved." - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America.

Nakamichi BX-300E, BX-125E, BX-100E, CR-3E, Yamaha KX-493, Akai GX-F80, UC-F5, Teac V-44C, Technics RS-B565, RS-B665, Kenwood KX-400. On the workbench: Sony TC-K22, TC-K33, Akai CS-34D, Nakamichi BX-150E, Cassette Deck 2.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Sansui ended on the glorious path Nakamichi went, they are now brothers under a Chinese investment group. Nakamichi sells now nail polishes and other similar stuff, Akai (another colleague) sells washing machines, although I've seen recently and on underdeveloped countries some Akai stuff that looked rather generic being only branded as Akai, well, Sansui appears t be dead....

Sansui had sometimes a nice look but they were not top, rather sort of Fisher/Sanyo. IMHO they went the Fisher/Sanyo path, without having the fortunate Sanyo fate, of being bought by a giant in the same branche, in this case Panasonic (the last name of Matsushita). I think their peak was in the '70ies, and many people probably remember their quadro stuff. In the '80ies they went down rather quick.
I would disagree with your assessment that Sansui did not produce top of the line gear, especially as regards integrated amps (the preferred form factor in the Japanese market).
Old 01-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Serious Tapehead

It did.... in the '70ies - after that it only manufactured "standard" things
Old 01-06-2018, 11:06 AM
Turn it up!

While they began to produce quite a bit of lesser-quality gear, especially their budget-focused "rack systems", in the 80s (along with the other Japanese manufacturers), they still produced some very good integrated amps in the early 80s, and then again in the late 80s.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

Sansui - I love the couple of items i have used - The 9090 receiver is a joy to use, and sounds fab! really well built, and very heavy!
The 550M direct drive 3 head deck is a really nice recording and playback deck - not common, but well worth investigating ! really worth investigating, as they are not expensive, and in the price bracket that they can be picked up for - definitely the top of the pile!

Sansui lives in my house!

Granted they suddenly went from TOTL merchandise in the 1970's to sub BOTL on the late 80's with some of there goods....shame really as i like Sansui

PC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sansui front power on.jpg (71.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Sansui recording.jpg (88.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:40 AM
Serious Tapehead

I know many will say Sansui made at best "midfi" stuff, but I would say they had some definitely high end models, but we're talking mid 70's to about the mid 80's, but even by many other's admission, once you get beyond about 1980 or so, the quality of the build does go down as a way to stem rising costs of the payroll due to not being able to just reduce the workforce due to I believe the unions, much like here in the US.

At least that's the story I've read anyway and like I said, I've read other's indicate the build quality of their gear does go down somewhat in the 80's.

As to issues with blowing up, it was not just a Sansui thing, many manufacturers had this issue when they first began to market solid state based gear, that is once everyone learned how to bias the transistors properly for reliability and performance, which is much like tubes.

That all said, my father's 4000 receiver from 1971 was reliable as they come and sounded great, though warm - for solid state.

Their speakers were I think more hit and miss and the 4 digit SP series that were built between 1960-1974, both of the pairs I have are/were from the early 70's, with the SP-1700's being from 1973, or so we're were told at the time my Dad bought them in 1988.

His speakers he bought new, the SP-3000 he bought them in 1971.

According to the Best of Sansui.com, these were some of the best built speakers, though again, some models were clearly better than others.

I'd say, their amps, pre's and receivers are probably their zenith in so far as what they did best, tables, decks etc were likely sourced from other's and they did make their own speakers, using so called good drivers, but it was in the cabinets that they apparently fall short for some speakers they used too big a woofer for the cabinets and it results in a tubby, but light bass, and in others with a better sized woofer, better/tighter bass, but still not necessarily authoritative bass, but it's there, just gotta crank it though to get it to come through, or as the instructions of the SP 1700's recommend, corner load them for more bass.

Don't know about later models and how they fair, but the above observations are for the older SP series up through 1974.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 01-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Serious Tapehead

Sansui QR-4500 receiver, Sansui SE-9 equalizer, SP-2000 speakers

Here are a few of my Sansui components from my quadraphonic set-up from years ago.

I ran a Garrard Synchro-Lab 72B turntable and a 2nd pair of Allied Nova 7 speakers.

Nando.

Last edited by Elite-ist; 01-06-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.