Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > The Music Room

The Music Room Relax and set a spell in the Music Room. Talk about whatever strikes your fancy that relates to enjoying music, your audio system and components. Cigars and cognac optional.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-29-2017, 10:37 AM
Serious Tapehead

Audacity compatibility issues

This is sort of an extension of an old thread. I posted awhile back if anyone had any recommendations of recording off FM radio in digital format. That there was an 8 hour radio show I liked to listen to and it would be great to record it and store it on an SD card so I could listen to it on 400 mile road trips. Instead of having to constantly search for stations every 20 miles. Plus I'm too cheap to subscribe to Sirius and their programming sucks anyway.

The radio show is called Sundays at the 70s and the music they play not only appeals to me but also my 74 year old father.

So someone recommended Audacity. It seems similar to Goldwave which I have used for years but doesn't have the capability of timed recording.

Anyway so I've been playing around with it. This is the latest version BTW.

So far I found it will run perfectly on Windows XP SP3 but gives me an error (like a missing driver or something) on XP SP2. I recently reinstalled XP on an old PC with 512 MB of RAM and found SP3 will dog knot anything with less than 2 GB of RAM so I wasn't planning on installing SP3 on this particular machine.

OK, I also found it won't run properly in Windows 10. Used to software was backwards compatibility up to Windows XP then when Windows 7 came along, compatibility issues with software designed to run on older versions of Windows started cropping up.

This seems just an issue with the timed recording. For some reason at the 12 second mark, the computer becomes unresponsive but appears to continue to record. The only way to stop it is to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL. and go into task manager. When I launch the program again, it asks if I want to load a previous project so it will reload what has been recorded.

The other issue is when doing a 3 minute test recording, the program doesn't stop but continues to record.

The plan is to set the record timing and just walk away from the computer and do it's thing. So I wasn't planning on surfing the internet while recording.

One reason I wanted to use my Windows 10 machine was because it has more disk space than my XP SP3 machine.

So I got on the Audacity forums to report my findings but so far nobody seems to know what might be the problem. But some have called it a "Moonphase" bug.

Anybody else have this same issue? Here is the thread I posted on their forum.

http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewto...p?f=46&t=98242
Old 12-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Serious Tapehead

I use a Sangean DPR-36, but I believe any smartphone with FM radio can do it. I also have a Teac MP3-player that does the same thing.

All 3 solutions directly on SD card and in formats accepted by any other player.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Lover of all things TECH!

No problems here, and I haven’t had the issues you are.

When you say “latest version” which OS are you referring to? You should be using legacy versions for XP, etc. and not the latest legacy version for Windows 10.

I do believe I posted it before, apologies if I have: you can also use Tunein Radio Pro on a phone or tablet, might be an option to avoid chasing computer software hardware bugs. Also, you can time recordings.

ST

Last edited by Sawtooth; 12-29-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Ivan Dobsky

Your link to the Audacity forum seems to be providing answers. I don't see why you are posting the same here. It would appear to be a known bug. I would say just (what spend some cash?) you shell out for an external drive for use on your stable computer and get more storage space.

My car doesn't like starting in the cold damp weather. I'll just used the appropriate web forum to find out what was the problem.

Other users have been chastised for cross posting to multiple forums - maybe you have already posted the same to your favourite Fiat site to no avail?

Regards, Kelv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4Zqt5Mi-c&t=44s
Old 12-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kelv View Post
Your link to the Audacity forum seems to be providing answers. I don't see why you are posting the same here. It would appear to be a known bug. I would say just (what spend some cash?) you shell out for an external drive for use on your stable computer and get more storage space.

My car doesn't like starting in the cold damp weather. I'll just used the appropriate web forum to find out what was the problem.

Other users have been chastised for cross posting to multiple forums - maybe you have already posted the same to your favourite Fiat site to no avail?

Regards, Kelv
WTF?
Old 12-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
No problems here, and I haven’t had the issues you are.

When you say “latest version” which OS are you referring to? You should be using legacy versions for XP, etc. and not the latest legacy version for Windows 10.

I do believe I posted it before, apologies if I have: you can also use Tunein Radio Pro on a phone or tablet, might be an option to avoid chasing computer software hardware bugs. Also, you can time recordings.

ST
I'll have to check to see which version my computer has on it. More than likely it's the latest because it's a fresh install (about a month ago).

When I meant "latest version", I was referring to Audacity.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:06 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I use a Sangean DPR-36, but I believe any smartphone with FM radio can do it. I also have a Teac MP3-player that does the same thing.

All 3 solutions directly on SD card and in formats accepted by any other player.

My new Smartphone has the capability of recording FM but the only problem is you kind of have to leave it alone and not disturb it. Also it doesn't have timed recording.

So I was wanting to use my radio at the house and my computer.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Serious Tapehead

After almost 3 decades of mobile telephony I cannot believe you have only one (1!!) smartphone. Fire up an old one (with FM radio built-in) without a SIM card (or insert one then reset the security items so you can use it without one), install the FM radio app (if not pre-existent), schedule the station and the date/time/duration, then "sit back and relax" (to quote Microsoft).

Or use an internet radio application.

Or give 2$ to the next door geek kid to do it for you He'll additionally find for you other 25 solutions, for free...
Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 PM
self-proclaimed pro-tracker

I use an older MacBook for most of my Audacity recording. I had problems with timer record whenever the computer would automatically go to sleep. Disabling sleep, it worked fine most of the time. On occasion Audacity would crash (sometimes minutes or hours after the recording has started).

What I do is I keep enough space on the HDD to record at least 20+ hours at 44.1/16 in stereo. I start recording manually and let it go until sometime after the program or whatever I wanted to record has ended. I then edit out the content I want and dump the rest. If you write down the time you started the recorder at, and you know the time the program starts, you can do the math to find out how far into your recording you have to go to get to your program. Just cut everything that got recorded before and after your program, then save as a high bit-rate mp3, WAV, or whatever is compatible with your playback device.

Try saving the Audacity project before recording (instead of after the recording has finished)...if you're not already.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:45 PM
Sendust for brains

"After almost 3 decades of mobile telephony I cannot believe you have only one (1!!) smartphone."

Some of us have exactly zero. For good reasons.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 12-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Serious Tapehead

Also, having just 512MB of RAM may not be adequate. I have a Gig on a 2005 vintage eMachines but it also has a P4 processor in it as well that I got for not much to replace the original Celeron processor and it still runs XP with SP3 (and SP 1 and 2) and Audacity works great, it's biggest issue is I tend to have too many projects open at one time, thus it chokes down every so often.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 12-30-2017, 06:29 PM
audiophool deluxe

Timer record seems to work pretty reliably on Audacity running on Linux....

Dave
Old 12-30-2017, 07:48 PM
Serious Tapehead

OK I have an old 2000ish Toshiba laptop with a whopping 32meg built in memory & a 128meg added on so a total of 160meg of memory (NOTE: This did NOT use shared video memory, though it only had 2meg of on board video memory). I modded & upgraded it to run a 400Mhz AMD K6-III+ cpu & installed an 80gig hard drive. It had no major problems with XP PRO SP3. Yes some times it would run a little slow depending on what you were running, which is to be expected. Video for example is an issue, but I never had an issue with audio. BUT it did OK & ran XP PRO SP3 without an issue until it got loaded down with too much. I don't think it would have too much of an issue running Audacity as long as it wasn't bogged down with several processes at once.

You shouldn't have an issue with 512meg of memory. Now IF your MB uses Shared Video Memory, THAT will be an issue unless you can go into BIOS and limit the video memory to maybe a max of 16 or 32meg. IF all you are using this computer for is running Audacity & capturing/recording the radio show you DON'T need a lot of memory being diverted/shared with the video.

What CPU does it have & what speed is it running at?
Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 AM
9.5 cm/s

DVD recorder

This is a bit off the wall, but here goes.

Get your hands on a working DVD recorder unit.

https://www.ebay.com/b/DVD-Recorders...?rt=nc&_sop=15

You need to find one that comes with the three RCA inputs (yellow for video and two for stereo audio).
Plugging a set of RCA interconnects into the audio input allows you to record onto the HDD in the recorder (or directly onto a DVD). You can program the start and end time of the recording just like you would program a VCR. My old Sony unit can record up to 8 hours of material.

You now have a DVD video disc containing audio only. You can extract the audio from the disc using any number of free programs.
The encoded audio is likely AAC dolby digital 16 bit 48 KHz, but when I record off radio, on extraction I convert to WAV for ease of editing in Sound Forge. This may sound complicated, but extraction of several hours worth of audio from a DVD disc takes a few minutes.

Nothing hangs, nothing goes to sleep. I've done this many times and it works really well.
The drawback is that you have another piece of hardware lying around, but hey, just pretend it's another tape deck :-)

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.