Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > The Music Room

The Music Room Relax and set a spell in the Music Room. Talk about whatever strikes your fancy that relates to enjoying music, your audio system and components. Cigars and cognac optional.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Alleged serious tapehead

New Depeche mode- Spirit... Excellent

Hi guys and girls. If your into DM, both Delta machine and the newest "spirit" is excellent. On lp only.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Because tape decks.

The tour this summer was great also. Highly recommended.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks for the heads up! Saw them in Birmingham a couple of years ago, Mrs PC got me the tickets for my burfdai .... really really good live, going to look out those albums

PC
Old 12-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Serious Tapehead

I was a fan back in the day. Will have to check that out, Thanks Zedex!
BX150,BX300,MR1,RX505,670ZX,ZX7,ZX9,Dragon,5*TD700 : Modded Tube Magic P46, 2*Rotel RB-870, Sony PSX555ES/Sumiko Talisman S/Borbely Phono Stage and headphone amp, Axiom Ax-5's MHZS CD33, IRD Purist passive pre, HK citation 12, Focal 706v,TAD320
Old 12-21-2017, 03:08 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I went to the same school as DM - I saw then on the train back to Laindon , also, I saw Yazoo in concert at the Dominion - Tottenham court road, and they were a row behind me !

Yazoo were excellent by the way !
Old 12-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Serious Tapehead

That's "Yaz" on this side of the pond! ;) upstairs at Eric's got a lot of play on my deck as well!
BX150,BX300,MR1,RX505,670ZX,ZX7,ZX9,Dragon,5*TD700 : Modded Tube Magic P46, 2*Rotel RB-870, Sony PSX555ES/Sumiko Talisman S/Borbely Phono Stage and headphone amp, Axiom Ax-5's MHZS CD33, IRD Purist passive pre, HK citation 12, Focal 706v,TAD320
Old 12-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Alleged serious tapehead

Yaz, yazoo was awesome. Have a few of their albums.
Went to DM concert in the 80s in Vancouver , was fantastic. Went again last month in van,as a belated birthday pressy. Their music has evolved alot.
Love it.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Sendust for brains

Great records, I love Allison.

Yazoo - State Farm (extended)

Didn't know abut the new DM, will have to have a listen.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 12-21-2017, 11:52 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Used to see Alison (Alf ) a lot too - especially at laindon Station travelling up to London

I saw her a few years ago on the South bank in London - her concert was superb, she did an acoustic version of " Don't Go "

she sounds like like the records although she swore a lot ! - Essex people do that

Old 12-22-2017, 01:48 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
Yaz, yazoo was awesome. Have a few of their albums.
They only had two albums:
Upstairs at Eric's (1982)
You and Me Both (1983)

The Depeche Mode - Global Spirit Tour concert was great.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:07 AM
Serious Tapehead

Alison Moyet is actually playing in my town next May, with Tears For Fears!

I wasn't even aware of this myself until Graham25decks let me know that he has tickets!

Rarely get big bands in Bath these days.... I am looking for tickets right now!

PC
Old 12-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Sendust for brains

Lucky dogs! But the streets go both ways. I was five feet from Gary Numan a few weeks ago.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 12-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Habitual Half-Stepper

DM is actually my largest collection of one group/artist in my vinyl stacks. I'm anti-stadium/arena concert so likelihood of seeing them as an aging adult is next to nil.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:17 PM
Serious Tapehead

DM I had some HMV vouchers for Christmas (Thanks to my offspring and Mrs PC) DM spirit was picked up today!!

Nice LP - Great Heads up

PC
Old 12-26-2017, 03:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

Hey Shaun,

Any chance of a cheeky copy?😉

U didn't hang around getting the DM did you!? Nice work..
Did you have a chance to listen to the last DATs I sent you yet?

Just wondered what your thoughts were?

Regards
G

Played on an ever increasing amount of equipment that just keeps following me home......
Old 12-27-2017, 02:43 AM
Serious Tapehead

Hey Graham,

I am looking at my DAT machine right now, and am going to plumb it back into my stack later on today! I had to rewire a few bits due to the amp issue and the arrival of the CR-7 from Lucky

Of course I can do you a copy? what format?

I also have the new DM Singles double album (Thanks to my daughter!)

Shaun (Bored in work!)
Old 12-27-2017, 03:27 AM
Lesx55

Mate,

Is the single collection on CD ����

In coffee #1 watching world go by
Tape Decks:Nakamichi CR-7/680/Aiwa XK-S9000 ANT/Sony TC-K555ESJ/777ES/666ES ANT. SACD/P:Sony SCD-1/Marantz KI-Pearl.CDP:Sony 557ES:Power Amps:Sony TA-NR1s: Intergrated Amp:AVI Lab Series S21/ Sony TA-F7 V-fet/777ES. Speakers: Castle Howard S2/Sony AMP22Es. Walkmans:Sony WM-DC2/DD33 x2/60 x 3/F-5/Toshiba KT-S1/S3/Fiio X3.Portable Amp:Ray Samuels Blackbird SR71A.Headphones:Sony MDR Z7/E888/XB40EX/Sennheiser HD590/Dita The Answer/ Noble X IEM
Old 12-27-2017, 03:37 AM
Serious Tapehead

Hi Shaun,

What are you doing for amplification nowadays then?

Surprise me on format......or just go cheapest and go DAT😉
My wonderful son picked me up a stack of used dat tapes for crimbo, what a legend!
Easy to pick up a good deal for some used ones.
What a great daughter you have, didn't we train them well?

New years greetings all,

G

Played on an ever increasing amount of equipment that just keeps following me home......
Old 12-27-2017, 04:21 AM
Serious Tapehead

@les - Alas it is on the ancient format called vinyl - But I can run you off a copy onto cassette?

@ Graham - I can do most formats (sad aren't I) - And yes the offspring seem to be very well tamed! Daughter number 2 got me a first press of Iron Maiden 'Killers' - She found an old photo of me wearing the T Shirt way back in the early 80's....poked through my vinyl to see if I had a copy - I didn't, and got me a copy!! Good skills

Sony 2 got me a nice big fat HMV voucher, as did Mrs PC! Hence the new vinyl!

Happy days

For amplification I will be resurrecting my Pioneer Spec 2 pre amp, that is what I am doing in here today Just cleaned all the pots, and checked the power circuit.... should be good to get it home and try it out - I am using my Pioneer SA-8500 amp as a pre amp..... Which works well - not a patch on my SA-9800 though, I miss it already But I should have it back, fixed, within a month or so

Shaun
Old 12-27-2017, 05:14 AM
Serious Tapehead

I bought those two albums on vinyl at about the time of their release and have recorded them on a nice TDK MA-XG90 which I deemed fit for the purpose.

I'm quite a collector of DM myself. I have all the albums and just about all of the 12" singles on vinyl, some on CD or even SACD. Some albums I have on vinyl, some of those even twice (Violator original, 180g vinyl and SACD). Also several bootleg cd-collections with some really strange remixes, some in really, really bad sound quality

Coloured vinyl was "in" in the 80s, so most of the older stuff is coloured. Some records are limited. Three "Enjoy the Silence" 12" were released back in 1990 one featured the "quad final remix": 15 minutes of enjoy the silence. The reverse side allowed you to do just that, it was only a picture of the rose on the cover

Went to the Global Spirit Concerts three times this year - London, Frankfurt in June and Frankfurt in November.

Went out to buy a book for my mother for X-mas and happened to stumble upon a nice German book, more like a compendium about Depeche Mode. Besides info on most of the songs and albums they released and interviews, it contains some nice trivia about the band, e.g. about the time when they started back in the 80s, even with pictures of the streets they lived in in Basildon. Nice to hear, Remixray, that you even met them back in the days. How cool. Would have been quite a moment for me, tbh.
Sony Decks-Tapehead: TC-K777/777ES/777ESII, TC-K88B, TC-K700ES, 730ES, 808ES, TC-K555ESJ (ch), DTC-2000ES (ch), DTC-1000ES, CDP-R3, X55ES, CDP-502ES, CDP-701ES, DAS-702ES, TA-E + TA-P9000ES, SCD-XA777ES, BDP-S5000ES, Nakamichi Dragon, RX505, Technics SL-1210 + AT-33PTG, T+A P2000AC + 2x A3000 power amps, Infinity IRS Sigma + Kappa Center B, Renaissance 80, ELAC Dipol 60, NEC-XG852 w/ Moome-Card

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.