Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > The Music Room

The Music Room Relax and set a spell in the Music Room. Talk about whatever strikes your fancy that relates to enjoying music, your audio system and components. Cigars and cognac optional.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 07-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Sendust for brains

Let's talk about Kraftwerk!

I know there's quite a few Kraftwerk fans here on Tapeheads (me being one of them, I still have my first-issue Autobahn that I bought as a kid), and with this new box set out, it's sort of rekindled my long-time interest. Some sort of Kraftwerk is always in the rotation around here at the Pacific Stereo lab. How about you guys?

Has anyone got a report on the reissues? Thinking about getting a set or subset? What makes you a fan?

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 07-05-2017, 09:16 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I won't call myself a fan of Kraftwerk but I really appreciate their music. I discovered them maybe 15 years ago as I was enterring the vinyl world. At that time, I bought The Man-Machine. Since then, I bought a few other album of them. Plus now, I just ordered a broadcast reel to reel tape from Moldavia to compare it to my vinyl version.

One of the funniest music souvenir that I have related to Kraftwerk was a night, when I took a walk in my neighborhood and while passing close to an elderly center, one of the resident was listening to a Kraftwerk album at a good volume. It put a smile on my face!

Sébastien
Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

I am sure the PC will be along soon to extend are knowledge unless of course he is not busy rambling up a mountain or down a glen somewhere in Europe or North America.....Love his electronic music does that lad...
Old 07-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Serious Tapehead

I have the 2 LP reissue that compiles tracks from several of the individual album reissues and the sound quality and pressing is absolutely fantastic. Very much just like seeing the 3D show live as far as the sound. For me, the 2 LP set is enough. The complete collection seems too daunting to me and it's pretty pricey as well. Still, the versions on the new reissues are different enough that its not really duplicative of the original releases so I can certainly see the benefit of getting them all. But, if you don't want to spend the money or time on such a huge collection, at least grabbing the 2 LP set is a no brainer if you're a fan of Kraftwerk and vinyl. If you're looking at the digital versions, I'm no help. But, as much as I prefer vinyl and am stereo only, if any collection was going to tempt me into going with a surround sound setup, this may well be it. Would love to hear and see the full thing on a good system eventually.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Highly Biased

I have the original LP too. I love to play the record in a dark room, and listen with eyes closed. I believe many of the electronic tones have a drone quality which syncs with brain waves.....or am I daft?
Old 07-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Ivan Dobsky

IMHO the box set in whatever format is worthwhile.

I did a quick review here in the vinyl section: Heads up for Kraftwerk fans!

Autobahn was also my introduction to Kraftwerk around 1980. My original pressing of Electric Cafe and original Autobahn cassette are both long gone so I bought the Original CD of Electric Cafe , the 2009 remasters of Trans Europe Express and Autobahn to remind me of the arrangements. All three are superb. This is one band who due to the basic nature of their instruments can be very well done digitally. Since my last review (above), I prefer the older arrangements but there's very little in it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakdoc View Post
I have the original LP too. I love to play the record in a dark room, and listen with eyes closed. I believe many of the electronic tones have a drone quality which syncs with brain waves.....or am I daft?
Almost hypnotic?

Regards, Kelv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4Zqt5Mi-c&t=44s
Old 07-05-2017, 02:47 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

First time I "met" Kraftwerk was in 1997 (I was 17) during an examination for the (at the time obligatory) military service here in Italy.
During the 3 days visit I bought a cassette of their "Trans Europe Express" album in order to listen on my cheap walkman, and it was instant love.
Love all their records, especially "Autobahn", "Radioactivity" and "The Man Machine".
First two lps too!
My friends at the times hated their music, they was all on Guns'n'Roses or Nirvana eh eh
Old 07-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Because tape decks.

Something tells me this was (is) not the Kraftwerk people expect at their live show anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9R6bqcBPfc
Old 07-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Sendust for brains

Yup. All us geeks were listening to Kraftwerk, and all the cool people weren't.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 07-06-2017, 04:30 AM
frozen into the 80's. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novabit View Post
Something tells me this was (is) not the Kraftwerk people expect at their live show anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9R6bqcBPfc

actually, i happen to have this recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTP-Clo62Dg
(which seems to be yet another style compared to that 1970 gig)

i found it years ago, in full-lossless quality, but i really never listened to it with care... indeed it's not what you'd expect from them!

while, about the more classic Kraftwerk, i happened that my uncle gifted me their 7inch single "trans europe express" when it was released... i was only 4 years old at that time and, when listened to it at that time i didn't really like it... but i started appreciating that single only a few years later... and it was good that i didn't like at 4 because, this way, i didn't play it more than once on my old portable 7inch player i used back then and so that single is still in great conditions.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:01 AM
Serious Tapehead

Kraftwerk! One of my all time favourite bands I have the new box set, which in fairness is mostly a replication of my existing set of Kraftwerk material, apart from the last LP.

My favourite LP's are the ones I picked up in a market in Poland, they are all original copies of the time (which I already have) but were all in German! So much better in the native tongue in my opinion.

The first song I heard was naturally Autobahn, I was around 10 or 11 when that song was in the charts. I was mesmerised, then I purchased Computer World several years later....then went back an LP and purchased Man Machine... I have started to collect Kraftwerk songs remixed and recorded by other artists (How sad am I?)

Back in the day, these were an almost unheard of band to the majority..... 45 years on and they are almost mainstream! How times have changed.

If you ever get a chance to see the 2 hour 3D show of Kraftwerk 'Live' then do it...excellent concert - One of the best

Nice to know that I am not the only nerd out there!

PC
Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 AM
Reelin' in the years

I like the '74 - '81 iteration.

Wolfgang Flur's book "I Was A Robot" is quite revealing, humorous too.
Ralf and Florian's dictum seeming to be; trust is good, control is better.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0228.jpg (117.4 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by stuartypoorty; 07-06-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Sendust for brains

Well, the material might be better in its original German, but most of us heard it in klunky Kratwerk English. Myself, I have both versions and will switch-hit between them.

BTW, if you are thinking of buying any of the new sets, hold off for a bit. There might be a little surprise from Tapeheads in store that Kraftwerk fans here will like.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:44 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Stereo View Post
...if you are thinking of buying any of the new sets, hold off for a bit. There might be a little surprise from Tapeheads in store that Kraftwerk fans here will like.
On reel to reel ?

Sébastien
Old 07-06-2017, 10:05 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I LOVE Kraftwerk

I can still remember the first time I heard them, I was out on a bike ride cycling out of Congleton towards Macclesfield in Cheshire in August 2009 and I had just bought The Man Machine and transferred it to my then new iphone. The Robots started, and a few seconds in that bassline - whoa, this was 1978?!

They had just reissued all their stuff as 'Der Catalogue' and I got it all. The first six albums I thought were great, The Mix was okay and Tour De France I wasn't so hot on, but wow, all spellbinding stuff.

My favourite album of theirs is Techno Pop although strangely this seems to be most people's least liked. I'd definitely put it in my all time top 5 favourite albums. I do love Computer World, Man Machine and TEE also. I have them all on CD and I've gone on to buy their first six albums on vinyl.

I was working in Germany for a week last year doing a 40km drive every day and for a laugh told my colleagues we would have to listen to Kraftwerk all week. I only said it as a joke, but they were up for it so we went through the whole catalogue. They all liked it to my surprise, one of them so much he went out and bought some of their albums too! Autobahn really made sense driving on an actual Autobahn.

MY favourite moment in all their music is the segue between Metall Auf Metall and Abzug with the synthesized sound of the train passing by. It really makes me feel like I'm standing next to a wire fence with an express train passing by just metres away from my face, and the fact they did it with synthesizers makes my hair stand on end.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by novabit View Post
Something tells me this was (is) not the Kraftwerk people expect at their live show anymore ...
That was before they "morphed into Robots"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolus View Post
MY favourite moment in all their music is the segue between Metall Auf Metall and Abzug with the synthesized sound of the train passing by.....
I also like that transition.

My first recorded (to cassette) album was The Man Machine but I knew other songs as well from radio, while Autobahn was contionusly played by a fan at the local music shop. This was during the communist regime so the recording was from his own collection not because they were selling the record . It was only recently that I've created my own "Master Tape Colletion" as seen below. I like all of their work and listening to Kometenmelodie 2 always make me happy and dance while Electrocardiogram (from Minimum Maximum) triggers the creative part (logo Design) of my brain.

Last edited by NEMOaudio; 07-06-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: more story
Old 07-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Serious Tapehead

@PS - Hmmmm a Kraftwerk TH surprise I cannot think of anything better....I shall be watching with anticipation!

And yes, i grew up with the clunky English versions....The German version doesn't exactly sound smooth, just somehow right (I my opinion), I have yet to track down two more German versions of material.... But that will keepme off the streets in the long cold winter months!!

PC
Old 07-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Habitual Half-Stepper

Kraftwerk is a group I appreciate, probably the most sampled group in music history. I don't listen to them in any normal rotation, but have always considered them a collectable (much like Sun Ra).
Old 07-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Serious Tapehead

By the way, all this fits on 2,500 ft. of tape:

Kohoutek-Kometenmelodie
Comet Melody 2
Autobahn
Radioactivity
Trans-Europe Express
Showroom Dummies
Europe Endless
The Robots
Neon Lights
Pocket Calculator
Computer Love
Numbers
Computerwelt
The Model
Tour de France

Basically all their singles in a row. Listening on the Teac A-3300X R2R now.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:00 AM
In loudness we trust

I found Kraftwerk when heard Music non stop from the "The mix" album on radio and jumped onto rec button to catch it onto my ongoing mixtape (as you did back then ). Have always used them as a kind of fallback and reference since then.

Today I'll do tedious job of doing a checkout-check of an ambulance deffibrillator with its myriads of settings.

Of course I need some quality entertainment while doing it...

..UPDATE/EDIT: My walkman really sounds terrible. :( I have tried everything but is struggles with keeping a constant speed. Kraftwerk is no-go in this situation. I need to fix my D6C and try again later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2796.jpg (63.8 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by svampen; 07-07-2017 at 02:42 AM.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.