Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > The Music Room

The Music Room Relax and set a spell in the Music Room. Talk about whatever strikes your fancy that relates to enjoying music, your audio system and components. Cigars and cognac optional.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 02-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
lol, nothing beats the Ur-mother of analog recordings: Direct to Disc cuttings with a limited edition. Since 40 years this LP is unbeaten
If you mean a live studio performance that's going directly to a cutting lathe then there is a high chance of great quality. But no cutting lathe has ever had the resolution of magnetic tape. So if that same live studio performance is also recorded onto magnetic tape @15-30ips it's a pretty fair bet that the tape is going to surpass what the cutting lathe has achieved. But let's assume the resolution of both recordings is the same the playing field is still not exactly equal. Disk/stylus playback will always be saddled with far more surface noise than the far less intrusive tape hiss.

Let's now take that direct to disk recording and manufacturer it into record pressings. True it's possible to play the master disk into other cutting lathes and have playable records but each play of the master disk is wearing it out. So that's a less than desirable way of making records. This then leaves the standard methods of pressing disks which go through a series of generational re configurations before becoming a pressing master metal disk. All along the way the likelihood of noise producing imperfections are increased at each step. It's why there is no such thing as a perfectly quiet record. There is no such thing as a perfectly quiet tape either but click and pops are not endemic to tape and certainly are never accepted if those undesirable noises occurred during the recording performances. So at the end of the line a great record is a worthy device but tape is still the analogue champion.

Digital as we all know is not saddled with tape hiss and groove noises. It may be that this vacuum of space quietness between tracks or passages is the very thing analoguephiles find disorienting. And yet it is one of the very things engineers in all forms of recorded media have tried to eliminate.

I'm reminded of a concert I attended in the 1970's at Hunter College auditorium. Anyone who attended Hunter or lives in NYC might know the room I'm referring to. In any event the blues show featured a number of blues greats that gave first class performances. However the sound engineers elected to rout the sound through the built in vertical speakers on each side of the stage as well as the on stage sound system. Unfortunately the built in stage speaker system was suffering from a lot hum that intruded into the more quiet performers and selections. I found it very distracting and certainly would have preferred a quieter background to the music.

I can live with typical record surface noise but when I've been listening to only tape and digital the surface noise of records is in fact quite intrusive at first. I like records but I don't kid myself about them being any kind of ultimate medium.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Serious Tapehead

A Direct Cut is like listening to a master in 76cm/sek and better, because there are NO amps between the cut and you.

No recording and no playback amp of the master recorder. Its as pure as possible.

Sorry Lance even the paralell recordings of Sheffield can't rival their Direct Cuts.
I own the Track and Drum recordings in all 3 versions : LP, Cassette and CD. The LP is unbeaten.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Aiwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by john from seattle View Post

There is something to be said for mp3 or other lower res digital formats for some situations, such as in a noisy car where a bit of dynamic compression can benefit the listener but at home, full resolution and full dynamics is best if you want to have the best possible sound quality..
there are two types of compression, dynamic compression ( wich can occur on any digital format, and to some extend on analog too ) and lossy compression ( wich can occur on lossy formats such as mp3 ).
Lossy compression removes parts of the sound, on the whole spectrum.
Some may say these sounds are not audible, but they are.
But you can find mp3 with full dynamics, it's possible.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Serious Tapehead

You might, but I highly doubt it but even at 320bps mp3's I can tell a difference, though it's not dramatic, just a little compressed sounding, but very close to CD in other ways and at the end of the day does not sound all that bad though like everything else, it all depends on the originating source you used to make that mp3 file in the first place.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Serious Tapehead

http://www.cdandlp.com/felipe-de-la-...t/r3061250418/
Old 02-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
$1,150!
Old 02-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
A Direct Cut is like listening to a master in 76cm/sek and better, because there are NO amps between the cut and you.

No recording and no playback amp of the master recorder. Its as pure as possible.

Sorry Lance even the paralell recordings of Sheffield can't rival their Direct Cuts.
I own the Track and Drum recordings in all 3 versions : LP, Cassette and CD. The LP is unbeaten.

The argument that direct to disk and or any form of grooved recording is superior to magnetic tape or quality digital is defeated in the lead in and lead out grooves of this video. Expect this to be being played on an excellent system by a knowledgeable audiophile with a record in excellent condition. It is that surface noise that defeats the disk is best argument. Tape of the same session would have less noise and digital even less. No argument about frequency response can be made since the youtube is compressed. However the surface noise is there an not dependent on frequency response.

https://youtu.be/pYwzdA2zS-g
Old 02-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
lol, nothing beats the Ur-mother of analog recordings: Direct to Disc cuttings with a limited edition. Since 40 years this LP is unbeaten :

Felipe De La Rosa ‎– Flamenco Fever

You can't impress my wife with any audio related things, shes to long married with me, but if i playing this record or his copys : she comes into my room and say : "Hey is he spanish guy back ?"

Its the most realistic recording I ever heard . You can SEE them on the stage with open eyes. Even the height of the stage is "visble", its unbelievable realistic.

Sorry to disturb all you fanatic here.....

No remastering or any other "shit" can beat this sorry....I must say this.
This is great stuff and yes sounds incredible, you are correct.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

Wow so Cary Audio is excited of what is happening in the industry and you are upset about that.
Yes tubes well for a while now but more intense now, analog records with high quality and virgin and 1/2 speed, more record players, more needles, new Reel to Reel. Yes digital can sound really good I can attest to that, but analog can sound very out of this world. And the best of digital is as good as the best in Vinyl. And I say it again you have to expend a bit more in digital to get that analog sound.
It's A Vinyl World, After All
Oh and Vinyl is not a Nostalgia.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Not to switch gears too fast here...

Some Blu-Ray movies look stellar, some do not. So format aside notwithstanding whatever stock of film stock they shot the movie on in the first place, the care technical expertise to master "the best" of any media transcends its format.

I think we can all agree that's true in the audio world too.

Also, I would be hopping mad if I was the band, or engineer, and then the record pressing guys slaked and did a poor job. Maddening!
We all seem to forgot the tremendous role that digital audio played in the movie technology to bring it to where it is at now:
The History of Sound at the Movies
Old 02-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonatacid View Post
$1,150!
...ten years back the price was 2500$ for a sealed one.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:33 PM
Because tape decks.

Going back to the "resurgence" discussion: keep in mind that a great deal of sales aren't charted by organizations like RIAA. Used tapes and used vinyl sold at record stores or thrift shops, and even DIY artists and small indie labels also contribute to sales, especially online. I often wonder how much larger the 'resurgence' would appear if these outlets were more quantified and included in the equations.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:19 AM
Fan of tapes

Last night my wife was impressed at the sound I played on JVC K2 CD of Holiday in Italy. I then took my recently purchased original LP of that to play.

Yes the original Lp sounds terrific even on my lowly JVC LE11 tangential TT. The K2 CD had its own charm, tho. I think it had been done right.

I m sure it is being reissued on LP too.

To each his own. I like how HMV in our local stores are fervently displaying thousanss of vinyls for sale now. And LP playing gears for sale too.

So, not only CARYAUDIO is becoming fervent in this.

Terence

Revox E36 X 3 (4T X 1, 2T X 2), G36 (2T); Tandberg TD-20A, TD-20A SE 2T/2C 7.5/15 IPS, 64 X 2, 64X; Akai 1710, X-150D, GX-1000D X 2; Grundig TK19L (2T mono).
Old 02-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Serious Tapehead

We all like analog or else we wouldn't be on this forum. I get the excitement about new ways of pressing vinyl, more pressing companies coming on line. Its heady times.. However, when one repeatedly spouts subjective claims as fact for one media preference over another non stop is troll like behaviour. Its tiring and adds nothing to the discussion at hand. That is our beef.

Last edited by 3dbinCanada; 02-13-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
You can't impress my wife with any audio related things, she's too long married with me, but if I playing this record or his copies : she comes into my room and say : "Hey is he Spanish guy back ?"
Women tick differently than man. They do not necessarily see that a Ferrari is faster than an Aston Martin or viceversa, but they notice that the husband is so excited about something and take advantage of (for instance at divorce ).

So whenever a husband is happy with something, the wife does not need to have a musical culture or expertise to notice that something has changed, usually against big money.

My problem are the colours, my wife notices that the Pioneer black is different from Sony black, so I need to use a different strategy here
Old 02-14-2017, 01:31 AM
Serious Tapehead

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/warm-t...drawn-records/
Old 02-14-2017, 01:48 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Women tick differently than man.

My problem are the colours, my wife notices that the Pioneer black is different from Sony black, so I need to use a different strategy here
Oh dont start with colours... mine is painting pictures as hobby....
Old 02-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dbinCanada View Post
We all like analog or else we wouldn't be on this forum. I get the excitement about new ways of pressing vinyl, more pressing companies coming on line. Its heady times.. However, when one repeatedly spouts subjective claims as fact for one media preference over another non stop is troll like behaviour. Its tiring and adds nothing to the discussion at hand. That is our beef.
However -- Cary's right.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Internet Pirate

Talking

How about this?

There is a record label called Analogue Productions. http://store.acousticsounds.com/s/44...e_Productions/

There is no record label called Digital Productions. Several video companies, but no record/music companies.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Buh-bye.

Chad is doing some incredible things. He's the guy in the red jacket.

https://youtu.be/Bnm99V9a2Q8

There is a lot of enthusiasm around analog, and it is only growing.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.