Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > The Music Room

The Music Room Relax and set a spell in the Music Room. Talk about whatever strikes your fancy that relates to enjoying music, your audio system and components. Cigars and cognac optional.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 02-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Serious Tapehead

Okay, so you are fervent about analog audio, CaryAudio. So am I, but I don't pop up thread after thread about the same subject. I like it better when you comment on your latest experience with analog, rather than trying to repeatedly convince other members there is nothing better.

Nando.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Internet Pirate

I'm not here to bag out analogue. But I am here to say that digital can sound great, even on CD.

It does take some effort, though. Most of the best sounding CD's I own are from the 1980's, from the dawn of the CD era, right through to the big push of them trying to get it to replace records. The other best sounding CD's I own are from niche audiophile labels like Mobile Fidelity and Audio Fidelity.

Unfortunately the CD started declining in the 1990's. There are some good ones from that decade, but they are, I'm sorry to say, mostly crappy.

The thing is, analogue can be bad as well. I've had some poorly mastered LP's, mainly from prior to 2010. And we won't talk about pre-recorded cassettes.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Ivan Dobsky

Groooaaaan! Here we go again.

Kelv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4Zqt5Mi-c&t=44s
Old 02-11-2017, 12:51 PM
frozen into the 80's. :)

OMFG!

couldn't we simply talk about analog, into an analog-related forum, without starting a digital-analog debate?

Kat... i wonder if you would talk about how good is analog into a CD-related forum...
Old 02-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryAudio View Post
At this point in my life I value people who speak their mind.

I might not agree, but I believe people who are their "Authentic" self and don't apologize for it.
As do I...until it becomes tiresomely repetitive and uninteresting.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Serious Tapehead

Wouldn't be nice if there is a thread reserved only for Analog vs digital debate and then just let them bleed each other to death, It is not like they are going to find each other where they live.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:10 PM
That's most unfortunate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool4 View Post
Convenience and price always wins with the majority of people.
I am not sure that would hold true on the site, as most people here like to collect things. I would like to see people collect streams, good luck with that one. Also on here people trade physical media, I would like to see people try and sell their collection of downloaded material because they need some money.

For me I have physical media that I own and can touch plus can do anything I want with because they belong to me. You can’t do much with a collection of material on a hard drive.
Well, that proves what I was alluding to. We're a major part of this small niche. Not many people, regardless of age, are concerned with collecting anymore. My parents are quick to throw lots of things out. Many people I know don't have the foresight or even care for the value of items.

I much prefer having something "there" and tangible too. Even if it's a USB drive I use for music in my car. At least I feel like I have some sort of control over what I have.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbluesman View Post
As do I...until it becomes tiresomely repetitive and uninteresting.
I just joined this forum and that's the first thing I've picked up on. The belief that only analog sounds good is both nieve and miss guided. My music collection spans both digital and analog and there is no clear winner. I have stellar examples of great sound in both domains.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

You misspelled Neve.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Buh-bye.

It just keeps getting better every day!!!!

http://www.elusivedisc.com/The-Gin-B...o/SRCLP091-45/
Old 02-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Sendust for brains

Well, *I* didn't misspell "Neve."

This debate never ends. The reality is that digital can sound mind-bendingly, orgasmically great, and one doesn't need to spend $60K to get that. On the other hand, it can also sound exceptionally awful. The same is true of analog.

In the end, it's all about the music. We make our own. I, for one, am glad to see a resurgence in interest in analog and quality because in a number of arenas, we have been racing to the bottom for a very long time. That people are recognizing quality, be it from an analog or digital source, is a major reversal.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 02-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Serious Tapehead

I don't understand why some people are jumping all over CaryAudio. Who cares if he's loving the analog renaissance? This is a TAPE FORUM. If he can't be enthusiastic about it here, where can he be?

I'm loving it too. I love the fact that vinyl is popular and still selling well. I love that even cassette is piquing the interest of people who didn't even grow up with the format.

I think digital can sound good, but when everything is right with analog, it can be a damn near religious experience.

By the way, I too have the 45 RPM MOFI box-set release of "Kind of Blue" and it is unbelievable.

I found a great MOFI copy of David Bowie's "Let's Dance" and I have to say it's one of the best sounding records I have ever heard. It just sounds enormous. When MOFI does it right, they really do it right.

For those of you who are a bit more adventurous with music, if you want to hear just how clear, quiet and incredible a new record can sound, check out "Autechre -- Tri Repetae" just recently reissued on Warp records. Very abstract, experimental "IDM" from the 90's, but it's easily one of the top 3 best sounding records I've ever heard in my life.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Buh-bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Stereo View Post
Well, *I* didn't misspell "Neve."

This debate never ends. The reality is that digital can sound mind-bendingly, orgasmically great, and one doesn't need to spend $60K to get that. On the other hand, it can also sound exceptionally awful. The same is true of analog.

In the end, it's all about the music. We make our own. I, for one, am glad to see a resurgence in interest in analog and quality because in a number of arenas, we have been racing to the bottom for a very long time. That people are recognizing quality, be it from an analog or digital source, is a major reversal.

Exactly!!!!! What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonatacid View Post
I don't understand why some people are jumping all over CaryAudio. Who cares if he's loving the analog renaissance? This is a TAPE FORUM. If he can't be enthusiastic about it here, where can he be?

I'm loving it too. I love the fact that vinyl is popular and still selling well. I love that even cassette is piquing the interest of people who didn't even grow up with the format.

I think digital can sound good, but when everything is right with analog, it can be a damn near religious experience.

By the way, I too have the 45 RPM MOFI box-set release of "Kind of Blue" and it is unbelievable.

I found a great MOFI copy of David Bowie's "Let's Dance" and I have to say it's one of the best sounding records I have ever heard. It just sounds enormous. When MOFI does it right, they really do it right.

For those of you who are a bit more adventurous with music, if you want to hear just how clear, quiet and incredible a new record can sound, check out "Autechre -- Tri Repetae" just recently reissued on Warp records. Very abstract, experimental "IDM" from the 90's, but it's easily one of the top 3 best sounding records I've ever heard in my life.

I just read about that Bowie today! It's on the TAS Super Disc list!

I'll put those two in my cue!

So much cool stuff happening.

I got it bad. On Thursday I bought not one, but TWO Nakamchi decks!

To anyone who was bidding on the 505 on eBay..........sorry;)
Old 02-12-2017, 12:09 AM
Aiwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince666 View Post
OMFG!
couldn't we simply talk about analog, into an analog-related forum, without starting a digital-analog debate?
Well even IRL, when going at record store, this can happen too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Stereo View Post
reality is that digital can sound mind-bendingly, orgasmically great, and one doesn't need to spend $60K to get that. On the other hand, it can also sound exceptionally awful. The same is true of analog.
That's it, there is bad digital with mp3, and good digital with Bly Ray audio; and there is bad analog with microcassette 1.2 and good analog with reel-to-reel. And everything in between.
So it dépends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonatacid View Post
I love the fact that vinyl is popular and still selling well.
5% of the sales ?
Well it improves a bit, and i don't count second-hand sales, only new records.
But it still low.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:53 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtone View Post
5% of the sales ?
Well it improves a bit, and i don't count second-hand sales, only new records.
But it still low.
Indeed. However, it was nearly a 30-year high in the USA in 2015. "Popular" considering the format, and considering people are not buying physical format as much in this day of digital streaming.

I'm still amazed how many people I see in Amoeba records whenever I make it out to Hollywood.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Lover of all things TECH!

Not to switch gears too fast here...

Some Blu-Ray movies look stellar, some do not. So format aside notwithstanding whatever stock of film stock they shot the movie on in the first place, the care technical expertise to master "the best" of any media transcends its format.

I think we can all agree that's true in the audio world too.

Also, I would be hopping mad if I was the band, or engineer, and then the record pressing guys slaked and did a poor job. Maddening!
Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Serious Tapehead

Phonotacid,

Your question about CaryAudio is that he repeats himself adnausium about this very topic, almost every other week or so and it gets tiresome, like it's a trope for him to flaunt.

We GET it, analog (afterall this is a largely analog forum here) is great, but we also know that it can sound like shit too, and it all has to do with what you play your vinyl/tape on and how it was recorded as many things were badly done over the years, technology improvements notwithstanding. But the fact that he keeps this up is very tiring so yeah, we'll jump all over him for this one aspect.

But back to the topic at hand. If you were to really listen to both digital and vinyl, you'll find there is merits in either and I find the notion of CD being indistructable not exactly true as most CD players can only correct so much before failing to read the disc at all, this is for home decks and the ones installed in our cars for that matter. Plus, anything on a thumb drive can get corrupted too and boom, not playable so on one hand, digital is even more damage prone as it's eitehr playable, or it's not, vinyl and tape can slowly degrade, but still play (and sound noisy or crappy), you can listen to it nontheless.

Plus, as Lance mentioned early on in the thread that it's the physical media itself and the fact that YOU have to select what YOU want to listen to, insert said media into said device and hit play (tape here) or select that black disc and lower the needle (vinyl) it's tangible, not abstract so we're more aware of it than a simple file on a HD and thus many will take the pains to preserve it, keep it from getting damaged etc. I think what we are seeing is people slowly realizing that aspect of analog, not to mention what it does offer that most digital files don't 0 and thus people may finally be getting over the loudness wars (hopefully) and we can return to digital files/media in the pop realm that actually sound decent for a change.

It'll be slow going as so many of us don't have the disposable income that we once had, thanks to ever increasing costs of subscription based services but who knows?

There is something to be said for mp3 or other lower res digital formats for some situations, such as in a noisy car where a bit of dynamic compression can benefit the listener but at home, full resolution and full dynamics is best if you want to have the best possible sound quality.

Plus many are rediscovering the merits of the hunt for that special copy of something, be it new or used and learning how to ascertain its conditioin if used - the same for buying vintage furniture of which there is a huge market for all that stuff, believe you me, I know as I've been in the sites related to all that and have hit estate sales, flea markets, antique malls etc much of my life and continue to do so - the same thing there as with music.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 02-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

I'm not sure whether this aspect of the analogue digital issue has been raised but I'm putting it out here now. We talk about analogue audio and we covet it while yearning for it to resume a prominent place in the audio world. Assuming it does actually take over the prominent place it once had what difference does it make? Music is about the actual sound of the piece and how the listener relates and feels towards it. Once that sound leaves the speaker and enters the ear the rest is up to the listener to like or dislike it. I have yet to hear a piece of music on digital that I have disliked because it was on digital. Much of my music exists only as digital format as it was never released in analogue. Some of my music I acquired first on digital then later on analogue. IMO you either like a piece of music or you don't. But if the world is suddenly repopulated with tape machines again is it really going to make people love music any more or conversely any less? Some of my music I have on every type of media it was released on and there is some that whether I want to admit it or not indeed sounds more detailed and articulate on digital and in fact on the CD digital. At the end of the day music is going to continue to be made and folks will embrace it in whatever form they first discovered it in, not because of it's format but because of the way it connected to them.

Last edited by Lance Lawson; 02-12-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Internet Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince666 View Post
Kat... i wonder if you would talk about how good is analog into a CD-related forum...
If they haven't heard the 2011 pressing of "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac. Then they don't know how good analogue can sound. Likewise, if you haven't heard the 1992 DCC CD of "Hotel California" by the Eagles. Then you don't know how good a CD can sound.

Actually, the best comparison would be the Beatles 2009 mono remaster of "Revolver". It came out on CD and LP and if the LP is pressed as well as it should be for the price, bothe the CD and LP will sound amazing whether you're an audiophile, an analogue-phile, a digiphile or a stereophile.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Serious Tapehead

lol, nothing beats the Ur-mother of analog recordings: Direct to Disc cuttings with a limited edition. Since 40 years this LP is unbeaten :

Felipe De La Rosa ‎– Flamenco Fever

You can't impress my wife with any audio related things, shes to long married with me, but if i playing this record or his copys : she comes into my room and say : "Hey is he spanish guy back ?"

Its the most realistic recording I ever heard . You can SEE them on the stage with open eyes. Even the height of the stage is "visble", its unbelievable realistic.

Sorry to disturb all you fanatic here.....

No remastering or any other "shit" can beat this sorry....I must say this.

Last edited by lucky; 02-12-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.