Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Speakers and Headphones

Speakers and Headphones What turns electrons into something you can hear? Speakers and cans, man! This is the place to talk about your tranducers.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Highly Biased

Someone brought in some consignment Klipsch KSB 3.1 two way speakers....ugh. I think the tweeter is piezo, and it may be the best sounding driver. Maybe the crossovers are shot. I can't give them away.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Lesx55

The worst were the speakers with my Audiologic by Randix midi system...
The first upgrade from that was a Trio Amp and that showed just how bad the speakers were....
All speakers after them were good, better then better
In chronological order
1) Audiologic by Randix
2) Kef Choral III
3) Sony APM 22 ES

4) Castle Howard S2
Tape Decks:Nakamichi CR-7/680/Aiwa XK-S9000/Sony TC-K555ESJ/666ES. SACD/P:Sony SCD-1/Marantz KI-Pearl.CDP:Sony 557ES:Power Amps:Sony TA-NR1s: Intergrated Amp:AVI Lab Series S21/ Sony TA-F7 V-fet. Speakers: Castle Howard S2/Sony AMP22Es. Walkmans:Sony WM-DC2/DD33/60 x 3/Toshiba KT-S1/S3/Fiio X3.Portable Amp:Ray Samuels Blackbird SR71A.Headphones:Sony MDR Z7/Sennheiser HD590/Dita The Answer/ Noble X IEM
Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 AM
Seriously Illogical

A pair of Avid 110 back in 1981.

Boomy and muddy sound, made the loudness switch my best friend but I couldn't hear any bass, just boom boom.
The crossover is what - nowadays - may be considered nice and minimal, IIRC a capacitor and resistor along the tweeter.
The tweeters died during a teenage party in the following year and were replaced by some generic somethings to give them to my sister.

The good that came from these is that I started wondering how can I make good loudspeakers and delved into the process starting with a pair of something between KEF CS1 and BBC LS3/5a. The crossover came from work published in an audio magazine of the era.

Here's a picture of the model, "stolen" from another site. On mine the woofer surrounds rot away 15 years ago and were discarded.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:18 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILHappy View Post
"Woofer break up noise" seems to be what I'm experiencing.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7s, worst speakers I've ever listened too. Regardless of source, amp or position, listening to music through these is as enjoyable as scraping finger nails on a blackboard.
I consider these speakers defective. I've never experienced such 'brightness' before. Was reading all this nutty stuff about taming brightness, endless madness. The dealer told me to try different cables??? Cables that sound find with every other speaker! Hang a towel over the tweeter and mid range cone, 100% fixed, so it isn't Woofer break up noise. Nothing wrong with them now.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.