Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Non Audio Discussions > Other General Interest

Other General Interest What hobbies do you enjoy when not listening to tape? Got some good train or plane pictures? Like fast cars or camping in the mountains? Tell us about it.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 AM
Seriously Illogical

Some interesting macro photography

Lately, I decided to revive my interest in macro-shooting and was browsing around for some info.
I stumbled across this video which I found to show me a whole new perspective both in shooting, post-processing and printing.
I just love it when multiple tools are combined to produce something that would otherwise be plain impossible.

https://vimeo.com/157712307
Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 PM
Lover of all things TECH!

Best learn the art of photography at the camera level first. Practice practice practice! Not just macro, but shooting in all the situations you can.... will make you a better photographer!

Try not to overwhelm yourself with photoshop (post production) to fix or enhance poor photography.

Have fun!

Last edited by Sawtooth; 01-13-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Serious Tapehead

Really interesting video. He has a great process for achieving a technically accurate rendering of his subjects with all areas in sharp focus OK, but what a tedious procedure with so many individual shots. It sounds like he has some of it automated though. I bet he wears out a lot of shutters on those poor camera bodies.
Personally I like the shallow depth-of-field common in macro shots but I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Anyway, glad to here you have a renewed interest in macro. I use to play around with macro in the pre-auto focus days and use to have some fun setting up shots with some weird lens/camera configurations.

Have fun with it, you can always find a macro subject almost anywhere.

Jeff
Looks like some sort of secreted resin. Yeah, but secreted from *what*?
Old 01-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Excellent work.
Realize that a person gives up part of his life to make these images so that people can see them in such detail.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 01-14-2018, 05:13 AM
Seriously Illogical

There is no such thing as auto focus and macro shooting together.

I was hoping to be able to buy the Canon MP-E65 super macro lens (actually the current equivalent of a bellows extension) when I realized that with a lensless adapter ring I can mount my EOS dSLR camera on the vintage Canon Auto Bellows and use the f/3.5-20mm macro lens or any other lens if reverse mounted.

Auto focus is really out of the question in such large magnifications (1x-5x) or with the loupe lens going up to 15x.

It gives you perspective in a micro world we can't see and one that the microscope does injustice as it kills the 3D element.

Having spent 2-3 rolls of films in the film era (using a Canon A-1) and trying to achieve proper exposure, proper focus, no motion, etc, the dSLR is a major aid in being able to have immediate feedback on the frame and also make the shot without breaking the bank.

I agree that too much post-processing takes away something from the picture-making process. What I particularly hate is the mindset of people who have their favorite "whatever" plugin, process the shot through them at NN% intensity and voila! here is the magic result.

What struck me in this video is the manual effort and labor of love to hand-stitch several hundred or thousand frames into the final result.

It's another thing to make a sculpture using a hammer and a chisel and another thing to 3D scan a model, load it to a 3D rendering s/w and produce a file to print with a 3D printer. The first is a job for an artist, the second is a job for a trained operator.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.