Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Music and Tunes > Reviews

Reviews Album and song reviews. Also the good, bad, and really bad.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-23-2017, 09:03 AM
Serious Tapehead

O.M.D.

Just picked up the Punishment of Luxury B Sides and Bonus Materials Album.

Their Punishment of Luxury album was pretty good, and the B Sides are as good, if not better. Plus, the various remixes of the singles are very good.

I recommend both if you are an O.M.D. fan.

J
Old 12-23-2017, 09:23 AM
Vi-Fi Tapehead

I'm going to boycott it until they release it on cassette, like the original Luxury version...
"A proposition must be plain, to be adopted by the understanding of a people. A false notion which is clear and precise will always have more power in the world than a true principle which is obscure or involved." - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America.

Nakamichi BX-300E, BX-125E, BX-100E, CR-3E, Yamaha KX-493, Akai GX-F80, UC-F5, Teac V-44C, Technics RS-B565, RS-B665, Kenwood KX-400. On the workbench: Sony TC-K22, TC-K33, Akai CS-34D, Nakamichi BX-150E, Cassette Deck 2.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Serious Tapehead

I do indeed like OMD, cheers for the heads up, see you guys later, off to ebay I must go!

Played on an ever increasing amount of equipment that just keeps following me home......
Old 12-23-2017, 11:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

Going to look that one out!

Thank you for posting.... Always liked OMD!

PC
Old 12-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Lesx55

Think they peaked with Enola Gay 😄😄😄
Tape Decks:Nakamichi CR-7/680/Aiwa XK-S9000/Sony TC-K555ESJ/666ES. SACD/P:Sony SCD-1/Marantz KI-Pearl.CDP:Sony 557ES:Power Amps:Sony TA-NR1s: Intergrated Amp:AVI Lab Series S21/ Sony TA-F7 V-fet. Speakers: Castle Howard S2/Sony AMP22Es. Walkmans:Sony WM-DC2/DD33/60 x 3/Toshiba KT-S1/S3/Fiio X3.Portable Amp:Ray Samuels Blackbird SR71A.Headphones:Sony MDR Z7/Sennheiser HD590/Dita The Answer/ Noble X IEM
Old 12-23-2017, 01:41 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks for the heads up.
At the Launch Party (see YouTube) they had some technical difficulties.
During that time McCluskey mentioned that Winston (their stage TEAC) is probably in a museum...
Old 12-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

I didn't really listen to OMD much in the eighties, but in the last couple of years have picked up all their albums and have developed a huge appreciation for their music.

Their early, almost experimental stuff was good, and that is what the Punishment of Luxury sounds like.

I like their more melodic synthpop stuff better. Their last album English Electric is one of my favorites.

J
Old 01-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Stuck in the 1980s

Hehe, the Launch Party... I went to that. And yes indeed, Winston is in the Museum of Liverpool, it's part of the exhibition now, but they have the tape threaded wrong, which I've told them about a few times. They promised to fix it, but never have.

The album is great. They've even released it in HD and a yellow LP. I dubbed the HD version to tape for my listening pleasure. I'd say they sort of messed up the cassette release, as it was recorded too hot.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.