Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > The Music Room

The Music Room Relax and set a spell in the Music Room. Talk about whatever strikes your fancy that relates to enjoying music, your audio system and components. Cigars and cognac optional.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 PM
self-proclaimed pro-tracker

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - FAN VOTE (about to close)

If you haven't yet, you can cast your vote for the next inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Closes in about 2 hours from posting this.

https://www.rockhall.com/fan-vote/2018-fan-vote

Here's the tally as of 10 minutes ago.

Bon Jovi - 1,100,452 votes
Moody Blues - 899,289
Dire Straits - 587,116
The Cars - 527,777
Judas Priest - 508,067
The Zombies - 493,810
Eurythmics - 433,020
J. Geils Band - 332,890
Depeche Mode - 289,708
Nina Simone - 176,998
Kate Bush - 170,527
Radiohead - 169,098
Rage Against the Machine - 160,608
The MC5 - 120,945
LL Cool J - 112,966
Sister Rosetta Tharpe - 106,140
Link Wray - 93,166
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - 80,876
The Meters - 56,065
Old 12-06-2017, 02:07 AM
Serious Tapehead

From what I see this list looks more like - "Most popular in America"
Old 12-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

Bon Jovi.............Sooner put my head in a bucket of concrete.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:13 PM
Because tape decks.

I'd literally rather see any other on that list as number one than Bon Jovi.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Highly Biased

MC5 only changed music for 15 years.... I can't listen to them, but I don't like punk either. MC5 belongs in the Hall.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

5 of the top 6 voted acts are my picks, though not in the order of popularity and voting numbers. I picked in this order:

1- The Moody Blues- it's a sin they haven't been considered yet alone voted in before they were celebrating 50 years of performing together.

2- Dire Straits- another band too often over looked. They also should have been members well before now.

3- The Cars- having made a significant contribution to rock and roll/new wave in their popular career height late of the late 70's thru almost all of the 80's, to present times. Like the Police, they were a great alternative sound to much of the garbage choking the music industry which Billboard with the record companies pushed thru the late 70's to 80's.

4- Bon Jovi- like them as not, they are a great band, most notable during the 80's while, maintaining a career that produced many big hits and albums released in the 1980's to mid 1990's. Keep in mind, anything new coming to the fore after around 1995 IMHO, is mostly garbage. There was little true rock and roll competition. I think the loss of Nirvana and Kurt Cobain stunted the next development stage if rock as such. These losses have continued till even today, with untimely deaths of rock performers, and bands that would have fueled the voice and continuing development of rock acts and sales, than we actually experienced. Meanwhile, Rap, pre-packaged boy/girl acts, along with Crossover/Bro Country choked the popular/crossover charts, fueling the then fairly new crop of garbage music still on the scene today.

Todays music was and is influenced by and far from mass media campaigns on the TV, and internet. Programs such as American Idol and The Voice now drive the sales of the eminent styles in popular music at the present. Couple this together with the heavily manipulated trends on I-Tunes and similar , they hold control over what sells and what doesn't. Musical careers and sales/popularity are no longer influenced by talent as such, but moreover from what the stars on television drive us to listen to. With the internet & social media we are told what is good and what is not. The social and musical climate during the past 20 odd years has had little to no room to grow for rock and roll, or it's various ever developing and ever-changing incantations.

5- The Zombies- often over looked for their contributions which started shortly after the Beatles took America by storm, then the world. They kicked the door down for the acts that followed, no matter what country they hailed from. Though not the most popular of the British Invasion acts of that period, they certainly carved out a decent portion of influence and popularity for themselves, while contributing to rock and pop as a whole, paving the way for yet another popular band, Argent, who were lead by Rod Argent, leader of the Zombies.

6- Judas Priest- Not what I would call ground breakers as such, they did take their cues and influence from Bowie, Sid Viscious, The Ramones, plus Hard/Acid rock legends dominated by such acts as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and even the Beatles to a lesser extent. Judas Priest combined these deep influences into a style and sound all their own. Not my most favorite band, or least, nonetheless, I would agree they too should be included as members of the R&R HOF.

Again, the sheer fact that the Moody's have been eligible for nomination since 1989 (almost 30 years 3 decades) and were overlooked as such until this year, disgusts me. This seems too much like a congratulations after the fact, especially after the fans pronounced disgust with the HOF for NOT nominating and inducting them well before now. If they aren't inducted (look at their current votes, #2 inductee's by votes far and away from the rest ..no way they shouldn't be) this year, I too will turn my back on the R&R-HOF completely, along with a great many others judging by the number angry posts and email's being written.

I'm not a big fan of the whole hall of fame thing -as such, with it's retarded election process, let alone it's location, many stupid rules and beliefs accompanying it. That said, any rock hall of fame should have been made into a global organization, not necessarily set in the US, let alone in Ohio.

Last edited by macman007; 12-06-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Reelin' in the years

J. Geils Band would have got my vote.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Highly Biased

I've been to the Hall. Across the street is Cleveland's Municipal Auditorium, where I saw many many shows. The Hall could be anywhere if you think about it. I highly recommend a visit.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Serious Tapehead

Personally, I think it is criminal that Link Wray is so low, but that's just my personal preference. I'd also think MC5 deserve in. After that, it's kind of a crap shoot for me. I love Nina Simone, but rock? Eh, I could go either way, but plenty of jazz folks are already in there. LL Cool J is a major figure in hip hop, which has gotten into the hall so I guess I'd think he deserves it as long as hip hop is getting in. After that it's either a crap shoot with several bands I enjoy equally or a nod to an old timer, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, again not really rock but a true pioneer. So that's my 5 I guess.

Really, there seem to be plenty of deserving acts this year. I especially love The Cars for their first two albums. Several I didn't mention in my top five would be great pics as well. For me, Bon Jovi is the biggest stinker of the bunch so I'll assume they'll make it.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Serious Tapehead

Radiohead and RATM.
both, in their own ways, great music.
especially live music.

Bon Jovi, huh? I never understood his popularity but to each his own.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:28 AM
Serious Tapehead

None of those groups or artists on that list deserve to be inducted before
Three Dog Night!!!

As I see the current "choices" listed there:
Bon Jovi
J. Geils Band
both certainly deserve to be inducted immediately!
Old 12-18-2017, 01:34 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Man the RNR HOF is so frustrating to deal with. Really wish they could get there poop in a group...

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.