Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-12-2018, 05:29 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Which deck to keep?

A while back, I brought home three decks (actually more but those three appear to be still working). I want to keep one for the occasional playback (read: one tape a month or so) but don't know which one. Considering the age, each has some minor issues like scratches, faded lettering, etc so they are not perfect but hey, they were very inexpensive to begin with.

So here they are:

Luxman K-105 - this one works great, looks great and the only thing I do not like is the limited LED display for the signal (hard to set the proper level when recording).

Sony K677ES - this one has some scratches and I haven't fully tested it since I did not know that the capstans are supposed to turn all the time when the power is on. - doesn't work so it is off the list

Technics M270X - some faded lettering but recording and playback work fine.

Any word of advise on which deck to keep?

Last edited by drabina; 01-12-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Serious Tapehead

I know that the Sony ES line is quite good. Not familiar with that model.

As to the capstan, yes, likely so as many decks do this while powered up for a good reason. When you begin to play a tape, it does not have to ramp up to speed once in play mode as the capstan will already be at speed by remaining spinning. Just remember to turn off if you aren't going to use it for a long period to extend the life of the motor.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 01-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

Barring any major problems & IF I had to get rid of a deck, I would likely keep the Sony and Technics.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:14 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks for replies. I just tested the Sony and it doesn't play the tape so it is off the list (posted free ad in case somebody needs parts).
Old 01-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Mecanico Bulgaro

To give it for parts is the foolish you can do!The others are like children's bicycles in front of him!He wants belts for $10!

Last edited by mityooo; 01-12-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Serious Tapehead

Have you looked inside to see what is wrong, likely belts are needed and they are not all that difficult to replace, though that largely depends on the deck, and the belts are NOT hard to obtain.

This may well bode true for the other two given time if they are working fine for now, but eventually, either will need belts.

Another thing, if it's sat for a long while, likely the grease has dried out and likely gotten all gummy. Just exactly what does it NOT do (besides not play)?

It could be a simple fix, or it could be more but likely it just needs to be cleaned and regreased and some new belts and it'll be as good as new. This deck is now about 25 years old and will at least need cleaning and regreasing and a belt or two at that age.

Plus, the Sony a 3 header and from 1991 and those are worth hanging onto because the 3 head decks generally are superior to their 2 head counterparts, at least for playback.

The Luxman is older as it was made between 1984-1989 so more years to have things go wrong unless restored already, and it's a 2 head deck.

The Technics is the oldest of the 3, from 1981-1983 or so and again, it's a 2 head deck.

I'd say here, the Sony is the best of the three. Don't let it not playing get to you as it's worth repairing, at least more so than the other two, and it could be as simple as fresh belts and/or some fresh grease after cleaning the old stuff out first and it'd be as good as new, though a fresh set of rubber pinch rollers may also be in order or idler tire for the reel tables and that'd be it, since it's the newest of the 3 decks, cosmetic blemishes notwithstanding assuming everything else is in order and the heads not worn.

Just saying.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck

Last edited by john from seattle; 01-12-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:52 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Well, the flat belts and pulleys spin and appear to be just fine. The main motor makes noise (even louder when you press on it a bit). The noise is fairly loud and definitely not normal. When I insert the tape and press Play, Forward or Rewind there is no movement. Play icon lights up and then disappears in a while.

So those are the symptoms. It looks like besides belts, the deck would need a motor as well. I know it is 3 head Sony ES deck but not sure if it is worth the time and money spent on it. Unless I could diagnose what's exactly wrong with it and find step by step instructions on how to perform basic maintenance on this deck.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

Even that is not an issue, this is likely a common deck and HiFi engine has at least the owner's manual and may have the SM too. know of other sources that likely have the SM for this deck too.

Plus there is a universal motor that may well work with this particular deck, and it may be Pacific Stereo has just what you need as he sells just such a thing.

A little research and a bit of time to find out is all it takes.

It's not uncommon for motors to develop dead spots or simply need oiling, which could be just what this motor needs, unless the bearings are shot.

I bring this up as it's all stuff that is not difficult to find out.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Serious Tapehead

I have had a few loud motors and most of them just needed a relube of their front bushing/bearing. That shut them up.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:17 AM
Serious Tapehead

As usual, my opinion differs...

I would pick up eyes closed the 270X.
It's indeed only 2heads, but it is DD and a rather easy to maintain mechanism (the idler may pose a problem). The others have also at least one belt in addition to the idler.
It's low height, that means it will let other parts enjoy the extra space.
It's an M series, one of the best.

All others are belt driven and the belts will easily cost you twice the price for Technics. It also has a dbx disc, which means that even if defective, you can still use it to decode dbx LPs should you have some.

Take the Technics only if the heads are OK. They are sendust AFAIK but one never knows...

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.