Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-12-2018, 10:51 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Need help with Sony TC-K677ES deck

I have Sony TC-K677ES deck. When the deck is plugged in and turned on, the capstans constantly spin. Haven't tried with the tape yet afraid of getting it ruined. Is there anything I can check or replace on my own to get the deck working again?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

That is normal operation for that model of deck.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=34394

Nando.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Todays Tom Sawyer

There are plenty of exceptions but generally, most dual capstan decks spin the capstans anytime power is on. I actually prefer it this way, as their is no lag on going into play and it's much easier to clean the capstans.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:30 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks for the replies. That's a good news. I was totally not aware of this feature and honestly got a bit scared when I turned the deck on. I thought something was amiss.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:32 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

One more question: I am not using cassette decks very often but would like to keep the Sony until I come across something else that will be better than the K677ES. Would it make sense to replace all the belts even if the deck works fine? If yes, is the procedure easy to do or half of the deck has to be disassembled?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Serious Tapehead

Deleted Post

Last edited by clamsterdamm; 01-12-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: My 2 Cents Don't Matter
Old 01-12-2018, 01:04 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks. I may give it a try if I decide to keep this deck.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Serious Tapehead

I would not fully disassemble the mech to replace the mode belt, as you will have to realign the supply roller. I would use the method in this thread instead:
http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=30926
Old 01-12-2018, 05:24 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks for the info. I have to check first if the deck is fully operational. I actually have few more and have to decide which one to keep before attempting any maintenance.

Update: Just run some tests and the deck doesn't play or rewind the tape. Belts look OK but motor is loud and Play button does nothing. Back to my project pile to pick another deck I can test and possibly keep.

Last edited by drabina; 01-12-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Serious Tapehead

With the cover off check for reel motor movement: press FF or REW, does it spin? Press Play. Does the Mode motor (right side) spin and the head block rise?
Quite likely you need a new mode belt. If the original Capstan belts are good, it's a cheap fix. I believe the mode belt is SBM 2.5
Old 01-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

Once you get you K-677ES sorted, you may not WANT another deck. Make sure you replace all 3 belts with the correct sizes. I do recommend stripping the transport after removing it completely from the chassis. It's not difficult everything is plugged or screwed in, nothing to desolder. While inside, I recommend cleaning the encoder switch contacts with deoxit, as well as any old grease and lubricants. Some things use oil, others black lube similar to white lube. I remove all the black grease then clean the metal pieces and replace the old lube with white lithium grease, the favorite here is Lubriplate 105, available in a tube from Amazon for under 10$, enough grease to do 100 decks. Pick up a quart of Mobil 1 0W20 Full Synthetic or AMS Oil Signature in the same weight, this is for capstan shafts and their bearings, as well as the 3 motors on the transport shafts and other places using oil instead of grease. What used what is apparent once inside.

All old melted belt material on pulleys and flywheel surfaces, anywhere gets cleaned 100% with denatured alcohol, swabs or pads, even paper towels, as long as they dont leave anything behind.

Each of the 3 belts are a specific size. One drives the supply capstan from the capstan motor. The other is the inter-capstan belt for the closed loop dual pinch-roller transport to work properly. Wrong belts will cause tape skewing or tapes to be eaten. It is important for the tape to pass evenly across the heads to allow for best possible playback and recording The third belt is the square mode belt, for the heads and transport movement and such. The chassis is stripped and cleaned following the SM, taking notes and photos of the process to make re-assembly easier. The TCM-200 MK whatever, there are specific posts on TH's dedicated to this transport and servicing it.

Getting the transport right, correct lubricants and measurements, after thorough cleaning is the most important thing here. Performance for playback and record starts and ends here. If it's not correct the deck won't perform to the level it is certainly capable of. The correct belts can be bought from Marrs Communications, a link to them is provided at the bottom of the page..Tapeheads get a discount, mention your member name when ordering belts. These are premium belts in the correct optimal sizes for your deck and will allow it to operate at it's best,.

I have 2 of this model cassette deck, other members here own them as well. They are very good cassette decks, better than they have a right to be considering their cost when new and place within the ES lineup for 1991. There have been Traveling Tapes made by members here including myself who used the K-677ES with other more expensive decks, and the 677 holds it's own against some stiff competition. I think you can still download the lossless files from these tapes somewhere.

I bought mine brand new in 1991 for 400$, it has been with
me since then. I liked it enough to buy another. I also have a K-909ES and would sell it before my K-677 ES, regardless of the direct drive and other options the 909ES has. The 677 has a very sweet neutral sound but not dead or bland at all. It performs very well, especially recording after manual calibration is done to the specific tape.

It can also be remotely controlled via the rear Control S connector, or proper IR Sony remote,.. there is a specific Sony cassette deck remote(s) available to use, as well as others that come with their AV Receivers, etc. It did not come with one when brand new. IIRC even the output (phono) level is remote operated, as are the transport functions. The front display can be turned off completely to allow for noise free recording. You don't see these decks available very often, I don't think people who know anything about cassette decks tend to sell them, perhaps they didn't sell many, and was a one year only model in 1991. The K-679ES took it's place in 1992 IIRC, and IMO was not anywhere near as good as it's predecessor. This could be system dependent, and as always YMMV of course.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.