Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks including general usage, recording, playback, servicing tips and blank tape.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Secret Agent Man

Does anyone remember the TV series Danger Man/ Secret Agent Man' miniature reel-to-reel tape recorder hidden inside the head of an electric shaver?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 AM
audiophool deluxe

A Lloyd's that is very similar to the TDK unit I posted a while back. Still works after a good clean and lube. No model number on it anywhere not even inside. No makers mark inside either. Also the same mechanism as the Freeman's I have. 2 speed capstan drive and no belts. Heavy as a brick.

Dave
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM
audiophool deluxe

And here is an AFCO Executive just like the one Southcoast posted a while back. I knew I had one of these somewhere. It's missing its head cover but it does still work.

Dave
Old 11-06-2012, 11:40 AM
audiophool deluxe

Here is the same model used in some of the early Mission Improbable's. Its a Sanyo Craig 401 and its pretty tiny. All metal construction unlike the later Craig rim drive models that were all plastic like one of the others I posted. Its a single motor with rheostat adjustable speed. The motor was seized and I had to adjust the cradle that tilts the motor shaft into the rims as the rubber has probably shrunk some. Uses 4 "AA" batteries.

Dave
Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM
audiophool deluxe

This was a $12 rubbage sale find years ago. A Minifon Attache cartridge tape recorder. This replaced the model P55 wire recorder and looks much the same. Very well made and even has a tape counter (still works). Runs off a (now dead) original 6-8v battery. Will also run off an ac adapter. I need to find more of the accessories for it as it has no built in squeaker and has non standard DIN style plug-ins.

Dave
Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Serious Tapehead

Man, its amazing how many manufacturers used the same transport in their recorders. So far, I have spotted the same transport that is in the AFCO in machines marketed by; Freeman, Olympus, Lloyds, and Fanon-Masco. The Minifone is cute too. Someday, I'd like to find one of these in good shape, the Minico Junior.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg M3TR2.jpg (55.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg M3TR3.jpg (66.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg M3TR8.jpg (107.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM
audiophool deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoast68 View Post
Man, its amazing how many manufacturers used the same transport in their recorders. So far, I have spotted the same transport that is in the AFCO in machines marketed by; Freeman, Olympus, Lloyds, and Fanon-Masco. The Minifone is cute too. Someday, I'd like to find one of these in good shape, the Minico Junior.

That Minico looks like the same mechanism as the Craig 401 I posted...

Dave
Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 PM
audiophool deluxe

This is a cute little Geloso 256/60U tube recorder from the late 50's. Runs only at 1.875 ips. It uses both miniature and snausage tubes. I kept this one in case I find another to try and make a good one from 2. This one is missing its tape counter pointer (lower left dial). The electronics work even the DM71 sausage Tragic Eye tube. The belt is to stretched for FF to work. Unfortunately these have a design flaw. The rubber idler is always engaged to the small motor shaft so if these sit unused for any length of time the idler gets a deep dent in it. Not really worth fixing, just for parts for now.

Dave
Old 12-01-2012, 02:27 PM
audiophool deluxe

Another one from the collection. A Hitachi TRQ-370 2 speed capstan drive tiny recorder with real leather case and original box. With microphone and its leather case, leather strap, Hitachi logo'd polishing cloth and inspection tag. Some parts inside have 1960 date codes. This one actually has an unique mechanism and isn't the same as the Freeman's, AFCO's etc. Works perfect after a good clean and lube.

Dave
Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Supporter of Reel Analog-resistance is futile!

More amazing mini decks than any man should have and still counting. And most even work.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
audiophool deluxe

One of the first transistorized portable tape recorders made from the mid 50's and it was even made in the US instead of Japan like most of the 60's units. This is a Pentron "Transitape" portable that runs on 8 "AA" cells at 1.875 and 3.75 ips. Was also sold under the "Steelman" name. Built like a tank and weighs nearly as much as a tank also. All early Germanium transistors with 2 digit numbers (ie 2N34 etc). No cicuit board, all hand wired. Transistors are even in sockets but glued in so they don't fall out. Uses a real erase head instead of a permanent maggot and is capstan drive with a decent size flywheel. The original belts are still in usable shape but I had to take the motor apart because the brushes were not being held tight enough to the commutator so a little creative bending of the brush springs was all that was needed along with a small drop of oil on each bearing. Also did a general clean and lube and it works fine now. This has the fastest FF and REW I've seen yet on a 3" portable.

Dave
Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 AM
audiophool deluxe

Quote:

There is one on FleaBay right now (no relation to seller):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minico-Junio...item3a7f77c49a

Dave
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks for the heads-up, but for $199, these folks are smoking some real good stuff. I would have been tempted to bite at $50.

Edit: ok, I just noticed who has it up for sale, Zipporeel. This guy/gal had a couple of YT videos of their amazing collection of spy recorders (one experimental recorder inside of a Zippo lighter). I can't find the videos anymore, they may have been taken down. But at least this Minico was well taken care of in a collection, still too rich for my blood though.

Cheers

Last edited by southcoast68; 03-17-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM
audiophool deluxe

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up, but for $199, these folks are smoking some real good stuff. I would have been tempted to bite at $50.

Cheers
I bet the price will come down after they run it a couple times with no interest.

Dave
Old 03-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Serious Tapehead

I added to my post while you responded. This machine is from a massive collection of spy reel machines.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM
audiophool deluxe

This is a Star-lite Pocket Mate from the 60's. It uses the same mechanism as the Tinico that Twinimage posted awhile back. This unit is a little bigger because unlike the Tinico it has a built in amp and squeaker. It uses a rim drive system with the same non-standard tape spools as the Tinico. I put a "C" cell next to it in one of the pics to give a scale to its smallness. This one the motor was sleazed as was one of the spool tables. All lubed and cleaned now. Still has its tiny lapel mic. This one uses a real erase head instead of a permanent maggot.

Dave
Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Am I doing this right?

Oh, that? I always carry a carton of smokes with me, in case I run out. Please continue, speak up a little, though.

And I love this smiley
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM
audiophool deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
Oh, that? I always carry a carton of smokes with me, in case I run out. Please continue, speak up a little, though.
Its even smaller than that. With the leather case its 7.75 X 1.75 X 2.75".

Dave
Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Serious Tapehead

The ultimate in "Bond" equipment at the time eh?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM
audiophool deluxe

This isn't really miniature but its an interesting unit. Its an American Concertone Cosmopolitan 400. This was made in 1963 after Concertone was absorbed by TEAC in the early 60's. It is capstan drive with 2 speeds, up to 5" reels and has a built in AM Radio. Its very well made and mostly metal. Instead of having a leather case to slip into the outer housing is leather covered metal. Has a counter and metal screw down reel holders. 2 heads. Uses metal slinky belts that never rot or deform. About the same size and weight as a UHER 4000 series. I had 2 of these in bad shape and got bored today and made one good one from the parts from both. The last 2 pics are from 2 Man From Uncle episodes that used this model. The last pic is from a 1963 Brochure.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 05-14-2013 at 08:39 AM.