Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Serious Tapehead

Why is U2's "Joshua Tree" on two different albums?

I got the rerelease version that came out a couple of years ago; it is on two records. At first I thought it might be at 45rpms. Nope, it is at 33 1/3. Also, each side has only a couple of songs and a huge space of blank, ungrooved vinyl area between the end of the last song and the paper lable.
What gives?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Proud Jaguar Owner

I got the same thing.

I believe it's because they wanted to use a wider groove pitch, and thus cut more dynamics, into the vinyl.

At any rate, it sounds f*ucking fantastic.

Lenco L75/Shure V15III, Scott 350, iMac, Sony DVP-S7000, Onkyo P-3060R, Crown D75, Klipsch Chorus II
The Deck Collection: Ampex AG-440B/Crown CX-844/Otari MX-5050/Teac X-3/Teac A3340S/Teac 3300S/Technics RS-1500/Tascam 34B
Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyldavid View Post
I got the same thing.

I believe it's because they wanted to use a wider groove pitch, and thus cut more dynamics, into the vinyl.

At any rate, it sounds f*ucking fantastic.
My copy sounds terrible-like a herd of dust bunnies ran across it, real noisy, despite playing it only once and putting it in my disc washer.
Looking at the surface, there are small pits and flaws in it
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana1100 View Post
My copy sounds terrible-like a herd of dust bunnies ran across it, real noisy, despite playing it only once and putting it in my disc washer.
Looking at the surface, there are small pits and flaws in it
I find a lot of new prints arent anything special.... I recently bought a reprint of a Motorhead album and im not all that impressed with it.

Last edited by Parnelly; 04-12-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnelly View Post
I find a lot of new prints arent anything special.... I recently bought a reprint of a Motorhead album and im not all that impressed with it.
Yup, that's what I've found. This was the first record I got that looked like it was pressed in a 3ed world country. There looked like what is best described as reverse scratches- sort of like like a ridge across the groove. Very noisy recording, was noisy when the day I got it and played it (and i got a brand new, sealed copy). The mix isn't that impressive either, I think my 20 year old CD sounds better. The worst is the track "Where the Streets Have No Name", the first 20 secs, the pops and cracks are louder than the synthesizer-yuck!
I prefer the used stuff. Two days ago, I was travelling with wife out of state, dragged her into a used record store and found a Mobile Fidelity copy of Bob Seger "Against the Wind" on vinyl for $10, went into the thrift shop down the street and got two TDK SA-X 100 tapes for $.80, that's what I am listening to now as I type, sounds better than anything made now.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Yup, that's what I've found. This was the first record I got that looked like it was pressed in a 3ed world country. There looked like what is best described as reverse scratches- sort of like like a ridge across the groove. Very noisy recording, was noisy when the day I got it and played it (and i got a brand new, sealed copy). The mix isn't that impressive either, I think my 20 year old CD sounds better. The worst is the track "Where the Streets Have No Name", the first 20 secs, the pops and cracks are louder than the synthesizer-yuck!
I prefer the used stuff. Two days ago, I was travelling with wife out of state, dragged her into a used record store and found a Mobile Fidelity copy of Bob Seger "Against the Wind" on vinyl for $10, went into the thrift shop down the street and got two TDK SA-X 100 tapes for $.80, that's what I am listening to now as I type, sounds better than anything made now.
Funny you mention the beginning of Streets. Last week i picked up Metallica's Reload(I know, not a favorite, yet still my collection lacked it) The song Low Mans Lyric, with the bagpipe intro or hurdy gurdy or whatever it is, is one of the noisiest popping records ive ever heard. Another new pressing im not overly happy with.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Serious Tapehead

That sounds really annoying. I have 3 records from 2009-10 and they all sound great. I have from Doxy records Bill Haley "Rock Around The Clock" and Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane "At Reeves Sound Studios 1957." From Vinyl Lovers records I have a double LP set of Hawkwind Live 1979 Shot Down In The Night. All records were excellent pressings with full sound.

So, not all vinyl is alike.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

I bought The Joshua Tree reissue at BB around 2 years ago. It's all on one disk. I played it maybe once and put it away because it sounded terrible. It had nothing going for it. I remember a friend later remarked that my particular reissue was pretty much panned by everyone.

I didn't know that a second version came out on two disks. That's interesting.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Serious Boombox Head

I wonder if the reissues are on recycled vinyl?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Out there and whatever

Cool

Quote:
I got the rerelease version that came out a couple of years ago; it is on two records. At first I thought it might be at 45rpms. Nope, it is at 33 1/3. Also, each side has only a couple of songs and a huge space of blank, ungrooved vinyl area between the end of the last song and the paper lable.
What gives?
Your frown should give in to a stupid dope grin that challenges your facial muscles to give it 20.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Underground Audiophile

original pressings always sound better then the new ones. for a number of reasons.

1. NO record, cd, or anything else will ever sound as good as the original master tape.

2. yes the joshua tree double album (the one i have) dose sound WAY better because there is a winder sonic bandwith in the groovs, much like with RTR vs compact cassettes. RTR will beat compact cassette all day long nomatter what simply cause its a bigger tape with a wider sonic bandwith, with analog, bigger is almost always better! atleast ive always thought so!

facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/bobby.beaumont3 | Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110053519649392668652/about
Old 04-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

Im not sure I agree that "ALL" orignal pressings are better, that could be debated. I would say "MOST" sound better.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryLeBoombox View Post
I wonder if the reissues are on recycled vinyl?
I saw something on the travel channel about the reggae scene in Jamaica. They release new artists on 45's to see if they sell. If they do, they make more, some they export to other countries. If they don't sell, they take back the unsold 45's, break them into little pieces, remelt them into new 45's. Each time they do it, I am sure dirt and junk gets introduced into the vinyl slurry so I'd think that these records made from recycled vinyl are pretty noisy.
That U2 double set of JT was pretty darn noisy, the first time I took it out and played it (again, I got it sealed, brand new) it was as noisy as a dirty $.50 used record from the thrift shop.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Out there and whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereorob View Post
original pressings always sound better then the new ones. for a number of reasons.

1. NO record, cd, or anything else will ever sound as good as the original master tape.
Enrico Caruso sounded WAY better than his 78s

Last edited by Warped Bezel; 04-15-2012 at 08:16 PM.