Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Tube Gear - Preamps, Power and More!

Tube Gear - Preamps, Power and More! Bottleheads unite! This is the place to talk about that tubular gear of yours.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 AM

I guess if you really needed one...

... this would be pretty cool: Samsung DA-E750
Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 AM
tapeheads.net supporter

those look like 12a** tubes in the window. if they are doing anything at all, they are being used as tube buffers to drive some chip amp i bet.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Learn about the B's and the C's

Stick with some version of the 12A-- lineup. It is still popular for a reason.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 AM
audiophool deluxe

I always cringe when I see stuff like that because it gives people a false sense of what tube gear should really sound like. This kind of set up its almost always just a unity gain cathode follower thats running starved so it will produce prodigious amounts of 2nd order harmonics to give the "pleasing" phat tube sound.
I've seen 12AX7's run with plate voltages as low as 24 volts in Behringer stuff to add that woolly "tube" sound.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 04-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
tape+vinyl+tubes=fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInVA View Post
I always cringe when I see stuff like that because it gives people a false sense of what tube gear should really sound like. This kind of set up its almost always a unity gain cathode follower thats running starved so it will produce prodigious amounts of 2nd order harmonics to give the "pleasing" phat tube sound.
I've seen 12AX7's run with plate voltages as low as 24 volts in Behringer stuff to add that woolly "tube" sound.

Dave
I agree with this completely.
Similar to what Bellari does in their VP-129 phono preamp.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Underground Audiophile

im happy that they are trying to experiment with tubes. it will be the first tube product samsung has made probubly in close to 50 years. but as dave said i absolutly HATE this new fangled hipster tube wannabe horseshit! lets cram a bunch of microprocsessors in a little box, and stick a few tubes in it for shock value. its not REAL tube stuff! now when i see samsung make a tube ipod dock that sports a quad of 6bq5 output tubes, a 5U8 rec tube, and some 12ax7 preamp tubes, i will be impressed. its just a plastic farse for stupid yuppies and hipsters that can say, -HEY LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A TUBE AMP! and has no idea what a real tube amp really is!

*EPIC fail!

facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/bobby.beaumont3 | Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110053519649392668652/about
Old 04-15-2012, 02:28 AM
Underground Audiophile

im happy that they are trying to experiment with tubes. it will be the first tube product samsung has made probubly in close to 50 years. but as dave said i absolutly HATE this new fangled hipster tube wannabe horseshit! lets cram a bunch of microprocsessors in a little box, and stick a few tubes in it for shock value. its not REAL tube stuff! now when i see samsung make a tube ipod dock that sports a quad of 6bq5 output tubes, a 5U8 rec tube, and some 12ax7 preamp tubes, i will be impressed. its just a plastic farse for stupid yuppies and hipsters that can say, -HEY LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A TUBE AMP! and has no idea what a real tube amp really is!

*EPIC fail!

facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/bobby.beaumont3 | Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110053519649392668652/about