Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > All-In-Ones, Midi-Sized and Combination Units

All-In-Ones, Midi-Sized and Combination Units Not exactly portable and not exactly standalone. Talk about combos, all-in-one and big "portable" units here.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Underground Audiophile

Exclamation MARKED FOR DEATH! panasonic sd-208

ive had this one sitting around the crapstack for awile. not much power. sounds like crap. radio dosent work. 8track dosent work. turntable works sometime. only thing saving it was the cool looking green dials. it shall be exterminated in the next day or so unless someone speaks up and beggs for its life to be spared.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pana 001.jpg (77.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg pana 002.jpg (77.1 KB, 34 views)

facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/bobby.beaumont3 | Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110053519649392668652/about
Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereorob View Post
ive had this one sitting around the crapstack for awile. not much power. sounds like crap. radio dosent work. 8track dosent work. turntable works sometime. only thing saving it was the cool looking green dials. it shall be exterminated in the next day or so unless someone speaks up and beggs for its life to be spared.
In the swamp it goes!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 PM
tapeheads.net supporter

at least be creative....

sneak it under a buddies car and tie it to the back!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Learn about the B's and the C's

I had a bvroken National SC-7xx which was a Japan-market miniconsole imported likely by local Japanese-Americans...

FETs, not a junk set.

Many of my pictures are not located right now.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Underground Audiophile

going to work soon. if nobody speaks up, it dies tonight.

facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/bobby.beaumont3 | Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110053519649392668652/about
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 AM
tapeheads.net supporter

i say hifi litterbox!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Serious Tapehead

Be creative....blow it to bits with electricity....plug its speaker jacks into a 220 outlet or something....shoot a video of the carnage and put it on YouTube!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Serious Tapehead

I suggest robbing all the usable parts from it you can. Like jacks, power cord ect, connectors, cart & stylus, the plater retaining clip & the spindle, motors, possibly some long discontinued transistors & IC's...

Then you could turn the case into something. Like a custom tape holder or to house another piece of gear to make it look a little better.

Just a thought.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Serious Tapehead

Then again, if there's nothing in it worth saving at all, there is the end to a means as put forth by 'Photonicinduction' in this clip at 1.56....

'See, the thing is, boys, mankind sometimes creates things that are an utter shameful embarrassment to mankind, such as that device you are looking at. What a monf**kingstrocity!'....
Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Tape Cassette Abuser

I dunno, If no one can use it and it's an abomination...

I'd gut it for a few spare bits before totally writing the thing off.

happy smash-time !!!

save the fake wooden side pannel box for something cool like a synth module or something if possible?

PARTS IS PARTS!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 AM
tapeheads.net supporter

parts is parts!

yeah, even recycling rob (me) would be hard pressed to find anything worthy in that box. power cable and transformer for scrap sales, maybe knobs and output transistors.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

I think someone here wanted an 8-track ....
Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Tape Cassette Abuser

I wouldn't trust This deck with my prize 8-track collection. It was a Consumer "fast one" for newbies who couldn't afford the luxiry of HIGH quality Audio gear back in the day and wanted to tape their LPs on to 8-track to use in their Automobiles.

I STILL have an IRS brand (realistic/radioshack) brand deck that is still clinging to life. The sound of the thing is decent, but BOYYY does is do a number on a cartridge if it catched a splice or something, I've completely respooled at least 3 otherwise mint carts, but It' better than those "car" speaker Only "consolidated" Tuner/tape/receivers I hate so much.

the BEST news about mylar tape is that it breaks CLEAN and you can splice it back up with barely a split second of sound dropout even with a splice as wide as a peice of scotch tape. (3 and three quarter Inch per second of tape speed is still above "broadcast" frequency response)

I'm looking for an AKAI Crystal head 8ptrack player.

also can't find any "broadcast" Triple "AAA" cartridges either.

I love the sound of 8-tracks, even worn out ones still in my books will do over a scratchy old LP.

I'd rather take bad tape hiss over loud pops and skipping anyday!

plus the Tape "master" of a Cart was SLIGHTLY different than the same master going down on to LP...you CaN really notice the difference on your favourite albums, TOM-TOMS seem to come out in more vivid dimension on Cartridge as well as Vocals seem to "trip" me out sometimes...like the first sabbath album or Deep purple in rock on 8-track...

I had the CD "digital remasters" only as a kid and knew the LP sound ok, once my friend and I were playing loud 8-tracks and shooting some pool in the other room..I was listening and had to stop and ask what he had popped into the 8-track deck, he told me it was deep purple "in rock" and I didn't believe him, It was like I'd never heard it before (even though I know that album like the back of my hand) I left the room and went into the other room and just sat there In complete AWE!!! I closed my eyes and all of a sudden I was STANDING in the original Room where it was recorded, I could actually HEAR the dimension in the placement of all the drums in relation to their respective position to the amps and keys and I could "feel" the size of the recording space...

I had a revalation!