Tapeheads Forums

Go Back   Tapeheads Forums > General Audio Discussions > Speakers and Headphones

Speakers and Headphones What turns electrons into something you can hear? Speakers and cans, man! This is the place to talk about your tranducers.

Universal Capstan Motor

Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Latest Goodwill Score - B&W DM-580's

They both had a sticker of $19.99 on them, so I asked the if that was for both, or each. My inquiry went up the chain, such as it is, and I got the pair for 20 plus tax
All the dustcaps were pushed in, but I was able to pull them out with Blue-Tack glue putty. The woofers have rubber dustcaps so there wasn't any crease or marks left at all. The aluminum tweeters were also able to be pulled out also, but it took a little more time and finesse.
There were no grills but I'm okay with that. The one thing I would like to find is replacement Trim Ring Mouldings for the woofers. There was one remaining but the other three were gone. I suppose I could use the one I have to make a mold, but I'd rather try to find factory ones if possible.
They sound absolutely fantastic. I am enjoying them immensely. Whats really funny is that right next to the B&W's were a pair of cheapo "Sounddesign" speakers that were marked at $50.00! I guess I was lucky that there were no DM-580's on ebay to lookup that day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3208.jpg (78.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3220.jpg (67.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 PM
tapeheads.net supporter

great score!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
FeCr Type III

That is a good score. Probably sound decent too. I don't recall if I ever listened to this model, but I do remember them in the stereo shop in the 80s, early 90s.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Underground Audiophile

dude, thats a score!

facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/bobby.beaumont3 | Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110053519649392668652/about
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig25 View Post
.... and I got the pair for 20 plus tax
Score doesn't quite describe it if you ask me.

More like Epic Win!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Multiple tapehead

Nice score indeed
Old 03-10-2012, 07:53 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

speechless

Man, I am speechless.

However, I must say that this was the business of the century!

I love these speakers. They sound just the same as listening to the orchestra and players live. Mine need some repair now, though.

If I ever find an extra pair of them for such a price I'll buy them instantly, even if I don't have where to put them

Last edited by luics; 03-11-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 PM
FeCr Type III

Quote:
Originally Posted by luics View Post
Mine needs some repair now, though.
Why not just email B&W and ask them for the parts you need? There is a good chance they still have stock parts for those speakers.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post
Why not just email B&W and ask them for the parts you need? There is a good chance they still have stock parts for those speakers.
Hi braxus, thx.

I'll do that. Actually I was browsing the net for info on parts and how to tell if your cones are still good, etc., when I stumbled on this forum…

Anyway, 2 days ago I also found this page:

http://www.technosound.co.uk/eShop/ssBW.html

but they say they do not sell parts anymore, you have to take the device there for them to fix it. As I am not in UK now I’ll try to contact B&W and see what they say.

My tweeters seem not to be working. However, I had a look at the boxes and I don’t see how to open them. It seems the front panels with the cones fixed on them, are either glued or just fit by pressure. But I don’t feel like forcing them open.

Any ideas about how to open them?

On top of this, unfortunately, right now I am in the middle of the mess of moving to another place and my stuff will be stored away for a while. So, maybe, I’ll order a pair of tweeters and when I can I'll try & install them...

Last edited by luics; 03-12-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: grammar errors
Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Serious Tapehead

I believe that B&W stocks replacement parts for every speaker they have ever made. I saw an ad not long ago where they actually boast about it.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Yeah? Well, MINE goes to 11!

Very nice, these are good-sounding products. Nice job!

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Pioneer, Sony, Marantz, Concept. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Worked for Yamaha and JVC as a factory tech. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo "crazy-expert" salesman. I would stand on my hands to sell a hifi while simultaneously explaining how eight-to-fourteen modulation works. Pacific service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Infinity IRS dealer. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net