PDA

View Full Version : 1973 was last time I own a R2R - I got the bug again

gkwolfman
02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Okay, time for me to thin out 2 of the three cassette decks(BX300 @ TA-2058)that I have to help aquire another R2R. I did a yard sale thrusday, being today is friday, and I saw this Akai 1800-SS box sitting on top of some stuff, and I went over to look and it only had a military duffle bag and some crap in it. Bummed out, I started scoping out the rest of the place and just happened to move some things around on the end of this table and WOW, I see a R2R with a dust cover on it lying horizontal on the table. I quickly moved everything away, and it was the Akai 1800-SS sitting there. Next to it, there was four metal reels and a wire remote control. besides all the dust, it appeared to be in nice shape. Then I went to pick it up, then found some of the veneer on the back edge was pulled back and some missing. Any ways, I asked this woman running the show how much and she said it was her dads and thought he wanted 25 dollars for it, but she would let me have it for 20.00 dollars. I thought real quickly to myself, oh well, I usually blow that much on lottery tickets and never win. Sold I Said. Brought it home, after getting a garage old dusty ole reel tape from a friend and tried it out, oh yeah, I also got a old garage dusty ole eight track tape from him also.
Long story short, it all works. Must be direct drive, cause it didnt skip a beat with all the dust on it and who knows how much inside, this is west texas-famous for the dust-and hot heat). It all works, speeds on the tape play, speed on the record and play back, eight track plays as well. Aside from some big time scratchiness and meters working alittle off and slow, seemed like a bargain to me. But it is a quad thingy. So now, I want another one(newer). I may, if I get around to do the 10hour clean up on this, keep it. Or sell or part it out. But I am getting another R2R. One final thing, I found out that the remote I got with this does not go with this unit, bummer.
Forgot to mention that the speakers built in were perfect and sounded excellent

ferriteman
02-28-2009, 10:23 AM
It sure looks like a quad deck, eh? Sure got it for a nice price. The good news I would think is that quad tapes on e-bay don't usually go for too much money, as the market for them is kind of limited. Perhaps you could post some pics after you get it cleaned up & polished....?

Regards,
Grant

Scorpion8
02-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Sweet! Clean that baby up and post us some good shots. Looks like a nice deck.

Jay Pemberton
02-28-2009, 11:50 AM
It's a belt drive.

gkwolfman
02-28-2009, 12:41 PM
It's a belt drive.

Thanks for the heads up
I would have never guess it, as strong and smooth the fwd and rev and play functions for this old of a deck.

arrow circle - 1 - = drive belt
arrow circle - 2 - = counter belt

Gary